Is there a nice way to ask if guests will be checking out early?

I’m sure that @Lynick4442 does post the check-out time in her listing. I’m not sure that you can setup a listing without one! As an aside, your practice to post the check-in and checkout times in the room is one I’ve seen elsewhere too from some Hosts.

The OP is asking a different question, whether there’s a ‘nice’ way to ask guests whether they’ll be checking out early without putting off/putting pressure on the guest.

Posting the check in time in a room is a bit nonsensical, but in my rooms I pot a sign saying “Checkout is by 10 am”

I send my checkout instructions at 5pm the day before checkout. I have almost zero issues with guests missing that.

If I have a same day turnover I also send this message:

Sarah,

Just wondering if you had an idea of your checkout time, no rush just want to plan my cleaning schedule for the day.

Thanks!

It’s very much non-pushy and matter of fact and is received very well, I typically get a reply with more info like “my flight is at 10am so were leaving here at 8am” or something along those lines.

Then I relay this to my cleaner so she can get a jump on the days cleanings.

4 Likes

Unless you want to answer my question, please stop replying with advise that was not asked for nor needed. I don’t mean to be rude but about 90 percent of the replies have nothing to do with my question.

A few approaches, including wording and timing, have been provided here and there.

Do any work for you?

Or are you still looking to hear wording and timing that might be better than what you’ve read so far?

It’s been days since I’ve gotten something useful. I’d like to close this tread but don’t know how. I might just delete

I don’t know what kind of answers you were expecting, but while it went off on tangents, almost all the responders here gave examples of polite check out messages and experiences in what time to send the message in order to get a response.

1 Like

What are you looking for? You’ve been given the only possible answers by multiple hosts. In truth, there are only two possible answers to your question “Is there a nice way to ask guests if they will be checking out early?” (which is not incidentally a yes or no question, lol). There are some variations on the theme but there are only so many and you have been provided with every possible variation.

The two answers are:

1. “No”. In which case you should rearrange your calendar and/or schedule instead or just ask in a non-nice way and deal with the fallout.

or

1. “Yes”. In which case you ask the question nicely. All questions that are asked nicely have the exact same 3 elements.

*Greeting (“Hi JohntheGuest”) + *the Question (“What time are you checking out?”) + *Salutation (“Thank you. Sincerely, YourHostLynick”).

That’s really it. Those are the only two answers.

The only other thing that is kind of an in between is what @Justarock suggested when he said:

But you apparently did not like it even though it’s the only other answer other than “no” or “yes”.

So, in reality, you have 3 choices:

1. don’t ask
  2. ask nicely
  3. send a message that doesn’t really ask but is sometimes fruitful in getting the information anyway
3 Likes

Welcome to the internet! So glad to have you here. Since you seem to be new to the exchanges of ideas that make the ‘interwebs’ so important to so many, we are providing you with the following information so you can become accustomed to idea exchange.

Many times a discussion meanders a bit, and everyone benefits from the information provided - after all, many eyes are looking in - so understand that the internet is not a private information service, but a community. We following this thread will continue to look and respond to the discussion. After all, there are many thousands online who are eager to talk about the very topic you created here!

If you want specific 1:1 information about something, you might try another way of finding out. Many times, for example, a public library can prove simple, one-way information - nobody will comment back to you or the authors of the book, and you will have one specific answer. And, libraries say “sshhhh” when discussion happens, so you will not have to open up the discussion to anyone there!

:wink: :rofl:

3 Likes

I am happy to close a topic if the OP requests it, and sometimes if they don’t.

I would think that members here wouldn’t want to waste their time trying to help someone who doesn’t appreciate their efforts.

5 Likes

I have an automated message sent at 8am on the day of checkout - very informal, reconnecting, naming something specific about their stay which I personalize, reassuring them that all they need to do is lock the door on their way out (as many guests worry about receiving a huge list of checkout instructions ); reminding them checkout is by 11am but a heads up of an earlier departure is always appreciated for this small business ; & a reminder of how reviews work. I also send them a picture of our cleaner Fernando, it seems to result in a more tidy exit & sometimes he gets tips!

3 Likes

That is not correct. I asked a specific question and I got some good suggestions.

It’s just that the topic has gone off the rails with un-related suggestions and advice. Yes, please close. Thank you.

I literally answered your question. I wont be doing that again, so no worries.

2 Likes

AS I stated, I got some good answers,

The conversation in this thread is wide ranging and contains a LOT of information and advice.

No, threads are not here for YOU. They are here for everyone. This is not a private one-on-one information resource - for that you can hire someone here and they will work 1:1 with you and provide specifics. The reason for this forum is for ALL MEMBERS and while answers are either “good” (as you judgmentally commented) or “off the rails” (as you judgmentally commented) they are all valuable - if not to you, to others. Many folks, for example, will do what is assumed you did before commanding a specific answer: do a search for other threads similar to what you created. The “off the rails” comments here would come up in other searches, and provide valuable information.

Hey, it’s not about you…

2 Likes

All internet forums do. If you expect a thread you started not to wander, and for all the responses to only answer the specific topic and questions you ask, that’s totally unrealistic and internet forums wouldn’t seem to be your thing.
Posters don’t “own” a thread they started.

1 Like

This is what we do and has worked well and without negative feedback. Our check-out time is 11 AM and check-in time 4 PM giving us 5 hours to clean our 2,200 sq. ft. cabin. It has to be absolutely terrible to not get a deep clean done in that time frame. I have a complete turn over of sheets and towels so I don’t have to stress about making sure all the laundry gets done while there. Our check-out instruction and time is framed and sitting on the counter by the door so guests can easily read.

They are very simple:

• Load all dirty dishes and start the dishwasher. -Dump all garbage and place in garbage barrel. -Make sure all windows and doors are locked.
    -Please send a simple message to let us know you’ve checked out and that our cleaners can arrive.

Majority follow these instructions. For the ones that don’t, what also works is we have a camera on our main door and driveway so we can see when they have left. Just make sure to disclose you have a camera on the property.

1 Like