Is the "No Others Guests Allowed Unless on Reservation" realistic? Should I enforce it?

@CatskillsGrrl may I ask what cameras you use? Did you set it up yourself or have a professional do it?

Here is a photo of my security monitor (TV) which I have mounted above my desk in my workshop. We have 8 cameras that cover our entire house lot.

3 Likes

Is there parking in the driveway and off the street for the extra moochers? Because I intend to be fair to my neighbors first and foremost.

2 Likes

Love that porch! Very inviting.

3 Likes

Don’t leave it to chance! Be firm!

This is another example of guests pushing to do something that has NO benefit to you. If any of those guests of guests cause trouble, they are not accountable to YOU, they are accountable to no one. When the two barflies brought their dude here I felt HELPLESS in my own house. I felt like they had taken over and my rules, neighbors and house be damned.

I would just say no. Guests will push (like my first grade students) to do as they wish until told no and then they will timidly back away. It won’t affect your reviews, thank about it! ("Legends wouldn’t let us have a party!!! Thumbs down! )

They didn’t rent a wedding venue, they rented your HOME. Big difference.

With all due respect, Legends, I feel like you aren’t really “torn.” I can tell you are feeling resentful… I feel like you really don’t want to allow it but don’t want to be a bad guy. But I would simply advise: Set those boundaries and you will feel much much better!!! I promise. Your house, your rules! :smile:

3 Likes

You may indeed by right. When I was in there cleaning yesterday to prepare for the guests arriving today, I reread the rules I have posted on the wall, and the rules they agreed to before they booked the stay and I was pretty annoyed when I realized they just did what they wanted and didn’t even ask me. To top it all off, they didn’t leave me a review even though I asked very nicely after I received their check out text. I think for now I will stick to the rules I have and see what happens with the next few quests we have!

1 Like

I have an older iZon in the garage, but now I am all about Nest. Next thermostat was first, then the camera, now the smoke alarms. Easy peasy to set up. Motion and sound can be captured and alerted and there is a 10 archive in the cloud.

PS. I deleted my images.

3 Likes

yahoooo! You will feel better! Sorry to be an armchair shrink but I just had the feeling you were becoming resentful of these clods!

Love seeing all your properties, gang! This little cottage is so cute!
I don’t have a camera and think I really don’t need one. The apartment is right below me.

1 Like

Not leaving a review is not as uncommon as you think (even if you ask). Life gets in the way, people get lazy or just forget. If say every third guest doesn’t leave a review … I never leave a review first!

So…back to the goats for just a moment. I thought this was hilarious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=429dW41unYY. Gotta capture some vid of your goats @LegendsCreek!

1 Like

I LOVE IT! There is nothing better than baby goat videos! We do have a youtube channel but most of the popular videos are of goat births and some people freak out from them. haha

Do you? Well if you ever feel like sharing the address I’m sure a few people on here would follow you ;).

I think this is the link ?? Legend’s Creek Farm

Precious and SO interesting!! Watched Babs give birth to the twins. Yup it’s graphic but hey that’s life. Amazing. I subscribed!

1 Like

I almost always do and I think about 90% of my guests have left reviews so I’m not going to mess with what’s working. On the rare occasions that they leave a review first I started mentioning it in their review. “Luisa was a great guest, blah, blah, left me a review the next day, blah, blah.” I wish each guest had a review counter.

1 Like

Yes they should be allowed to have a guest or two if family or friends but up to a limit. I don’t want 8 or more guests on my property at the same time though.

Thank you! I hope you look up my place if you ever travel to the Catskills. :wink:

1 Like

I have a similar scenario, two older ladies booked my apartment, and I was aware that they had family here that they would catch up with. However they have taken in a family of six…which I picked up through the front door security camera. Our advertised maximum is five people, and we’ve been told there are children sleeping on floors. So I have had a “charged” phone conversation with the person who made the booking. She feels entitled to have her daughter, son in law and four children staying. She said it “slipped her mind” to tell us and she feels violated that I am monitoring them. Further to this another of her offspring and family are there for many hours each day. I’ve calculated that around 12 people are having meals in my apartment, and basically using the amenities. Heaven knows they have possibly raided the linen and towels as well?
My husband and I just want them to leave on Friday and we will make a case for an extra payment. We don’t feel that it is wise to get them too much “offside” given we have more guests arriving later the same day. We don’t need a trashed property.
I really need to tighten the wording on our property listing to ensure we NEVER ever find ourselves in this situation? I think we need to be very clear about visitors to the property, but like others, we have had respectful guests who have occasionally had a visitor or two with no fallout. Any advice welcome.

You don’t want to hear what I have to say because it’s just good luck! I have had many issues of extra guests and different advice over dealing with it from Air. I was told to add the extra guest fee to my house rules then when I tried to enforce it was told it wasn’t enforceable. I even had a guest admit to the extra guests and then refuse to pay using the “slipped my mind” excuse and I still didn’t get paid. It might be different for you as you have security cameras I just had the word of the housekeeper. I would phone Air now and have it put on file so you flagged it from the beginning.