Is the claim work worth the time?

So, I had some damage, nothing major, from the 9 person guests which was supposed to 5. Is it worth the aggravation and time to go thru the hoops they want. I am not going to file a police report…I do have some pix… no receipts… All I really want is to be compensated for the extra guests and extra clean up. In a perfect world I would think that Airbnb should not refund their $200 deposit and deposit it in my account. But, what I have learned lately from everyone here is that Airbnb does not work like that??
Thank You in advance for your help.

I had mess and extras and I got 1/2 of what I claimed…but I had messages confirmed from the guests that they booked for 6 and had 12 stay and a receipt from my cleaner stating extra…took 3 weeks of bitching from me and a squeal on their Facebook page that was updated every day on the slow response.

What damage amount are you going to claim?

Every so often you’re going to get a guest that is, let’s say, less than perfect. It’s going to happen from time to time. Some hosts seem to have problems often, other don’t. I’m one of the lucky ones. But no matter which category you fall into, there are going to be times when you’re going to need extra cleaning.

In fact, you’re going to need extra cleaning every so often anyway, even if your guests are perfect - there’s always something that gets overlooked between turnovers.

When you set your nightly price, do the sums accordingly.

Remember all the other items too. In my case, in my old building, we seem to need a plumber roughly every four months. This, along with extra cleaning, small breakages not covered by your insurance etc. etc. need to be factored in.

That’s far more cost effective than expecting Airbnb to do anything about it. I find that alcohol helps. :wine_glass: :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I think I am on the same page as you. I am currently drinking a glass of wine.
Out of about 100 bookings since I started I have only had a couple of problems. Nothing major. I think I will just write it off as I don’t want to spend a few hours of my time to MAYBE get $100-$200.

BTW: I have my listing on Homeaway and their sister platforms and they contact me to offer support and have given me a case manager in the event I need one. Not that I ever have.

1 Like

Kerri,
You have a lovely spot, sorry to hear about the damages. I do feel your damage deposit is not sufficient for what you offer.
It never hurts to try, really it depends on how much energy you have, the process can be quite painful, but not always.
Good luck

2 Likes

I just posted their latest response…

? Who’s response? Posted it where? Sorry I think I’m missing something here…

I need to vent: Earlier post 5 people 8-9 stayed

1 Like

I would first send a request for money to the guests. If they ignore the request or decline then I would go through the resolution center.

1 Like

I would first look at the viability of the claim being honored. Extra cleaning fee’s are usually hard to claim unless you can prove actual damage (such as smoking in the room or a food on walls etc). Claims must have invoices and proof of services. Extra people again you must have proof that additional people stay. It is a long process that can be frustrating. Anything under $100 is not worth it IMHO. Good luck!

1 Like

In the post it stated that we had the entire house plus our guest now your charging me for my guest? We informed you when we arrived we would have guest plus not only were you sharing the house with us you also had guest (2 adults plus 3 kids) to share all the amenities that we rented for the weekend! We didn’t have the entire house as stated we had to share all of the property with you or your guest.

I have a pictures of cigarettes, food on the wall, the license plate tag of Brandie’s car as well as her sister’s license tag.

If you have proof as described then place a request for funds to the guest and then escalate if they do not pay. Just be warned that it takes time, approx. 10 days or more depending on if they ask for additional information etc.