Is My Idea 'Priming Guests for Better Reviews? Or Just Tacky?'

Given the most listings avarage is well above 4 stars. Mostly around 4,7-4,9 means that we are mostly getting five stars. This argument is invalid if we compare it with the statistics and facts.

I agree that hosting requires a lot of innovation, creativity, desire and drive - the market demands these attributes for a host to be, or remain, successful.

I am unsure how that functionality works, but I haven’t changed settings to block PMs

:clown_face:

Nuff said me reckons.

JF

I don’t see him place to click for a private message to anyone, maybe I’m missing it on mine screen, or you could message me though this app

Utter rot. (And I suspect you know it). If you read the post then you’ll know that I am one of the hosts who consider begging for reviews to be tacky. Therefore you have just called me lazy, lacking drive and creativity.

The same applies to the other hosts you have insulted.

Remember this post?

Not to you maybe, but most hosts here have standards.

1 Like

I would expect nothing less from you , as you may not have ( or maybe you do) the ability to understand what it means to succeed beyond the herd

Yes, I am very successful at what I have chosen to do, However, I wouldn’t refer to those with a different lifestyle as ‘the herd’.

2 Likes

Are you going for the most obnoxiously arrogant poster of the month award?

2 Likes

muddy , you are referring to jaquo . .
There’s a couple of board bullies her , maybe more , looks like a couple have surfaced , and I am not meaning me :grinning:

Review extortion, which is what the OP was suggesting, is not “fair game”. It is quite clearly against the Airbnb TOS and is not only tacky, but will eventually backfire when a guest reports it to Airbnb or purposely gives low ratings because of it.

1 Like

@rmorell - you have gotten all the honest feedback you can hope for and will do as you like. Most of it recommends caution, from hosts with many years of experience.
At the end of the day, it is your business to run. If you would risk things with a guest with such language that is up to you.
For your reading pleasure:

1 Like

Thank you NordlingHouse I couldn’t agree more.

1 Like

Jaquo rocks. And she certainly has never suggested that she is superior to her fellow hosts (what you call “the herd”) nor that behaving unethically is fine as long as it helps your business.

1 Like

I am not going to post my review to guests in a scheduled message, I have been convinced of the bad reasons people provided in answers. It’s too toxic and my intentions could be misunderstood. However, I just re-read my OP and, while I am newly shocked to become aware of my message and tone clearly being that of a thinly-veiled sycophant, I do not think it rises to the level of review extortion and violation of TOS. Maybe I am unable to be objective enough? Just seems like my OP hit supersonic speed going from ‘trespassing to capital murder’ and I’m still like, “what just happened…?”

Uhhh… no. The way to succeed in the hospitality business is to provide a comfortable, clean, and restful place for your guest to relax and get a good night’s sleep. It’s not tacky shills and promotions, especially for hosts that want to concentrate on building a reputation for the long term because they aren’t arbitraging to make short term money.

1 Like

I text them to their phone, gasp!

RR

2 Likes

Not blatantly. There’s a bit of a blurry line between incentivizing and extorting. But suggesting, even if it isn’t said in so many words, that there be an exchange of something for reviews, be it a guest threatening to leave a bad review if they don’t get refunded, or a host saying in some fashion, “I’m giving you a 5* review” before the guest has submitted their review, let’s say it’s a form of coercion.

It’s a weirdly-worded patronizing message and frankly if I was the guest it would have the opposite reaction that you are hoping for. Especially the part about taking care of them. After the guest leaves I send a note to thank them for their stay and for taking such good care of my home. And then I hope for the best.

2 Likes

Thank you for the your response, Cozy2018. I have heard feedback from others that is almost identical to your response in one particular way which I find curious… What would be the response I could get from you (and many others) that “would have the opposite reaction I am hoping for”?

I am having a hard time understanding what reaction that would be. Thanks in advance for specifying exactly how this could (or would) change your review.