Is it discrimination if I say I don't accept anyone under the age of 18?

What? That is over generalizing a tad. I have twin boys who are now 21 and have never ever seen that…

I don’t allow children under 12. I’ve never gotten a request to make an exception to host a child. Maybe because it’s a small room with only a full bed. I make it clear that I board dogs here in addition to having an ABB. I don’t know if all the guest dogs are good with children. So if someone were to stay here with a child they would just have to stay in the guest room and I’d lock the door into the rest of the house. I think if the parents were aware you had something potentially dangerous to a child they wouldn’t book with you. I have this metal decoration in my home. Maybe you could get one and put a picture of it in your listing. LOL

2 Likes

This is a 10-foot long board I decoupaged with old surf magazine photos. Can you imagine someone’s kid pulling this over and the disaster that would ensue?

3 Likes

“The FHA does not apply to all hosts. The FHA contains exemptions for owner-occupied buildings with no more than four units, single-family housing rented without the use of a broker if the private individual owner doesn’t own more than three such single-family units at one time, and housing operated by organizations and private clubs that limit occupancy to members and so long as all advertising is nondiscriminatory. There is also a bed-and-breakfast or rooming house exemption for properties “containing living quarters occupied or intended to be occupied by no more than four families living independently of each other, if the owner actually maintains and occupies one of such living quarters as his or her residence” which might apply to some hosts’ listings.”

I’m in the clear, but I still don’t specify in the listing.

1 Like

The exemption applies as long as you don’t violate the rest of the law. You are only quoting part of the law.

What??? Where does this ‘logic’ come from?

Forget the Airbnb rule. It is your home and you decide who is welcome and who is not. Do whatever is in your best interest and never let others know your intention.

Call it ‘Filtering’.

I filter out attorneys, same city locals, under 30s, over 80s, Unverified Airbnb users, people who dont read property description, pet owners, solo travellers, etc.

Yes! Attorneys are my worst guests. Entitlement and needy.

Had one who wrote an overly nit picky review because she is “used to telling it like it is,” but fortunately she agreed to change it when she realized it sounded worse than she meant it to.

1 Like

Legends, close your ears.

“I don’t accept anyone under the age of 18” sounds discriminatory. Saying “adults only” doesn’t.
A lot of B&Bs, Hotels and resorts around the world promote themselves as “adults only” without a problem.

Under 18 are not adults and cannot legally agree to the terms of a contract. If you read the TOS you will see that they are not allowed to be guests. So you don’t even need to say this in your listing.

You need to say something, if you don’t want adults bringing children with them,
lhsu718 wrote “AND I don’t want to deal with the awkwardness of a teenager having to sleep in the queen sized bed with the parent”

It really depends where you live, but I think in general if you are renting out a room in the home you live in, for short term holiday purposes, you have the right to limit your guests. The line will be drawn only if you go against Airs own inclusive policy, and try and refuse to book gay people or a minority etc. Most hotels have rules on children and whether or not they allow them, it is perfectly acceptable to not want kids in your home.