Is Airbnb worth it for investors?

Like azreala we make about three times the amount renting a whole apartment via airbnb that we did when we used to rent by the traditional method.

The apartment we rent was my husband’s bachelor pad before we met and we lived there together for a few years, so we didn’t buy it specifically to rent out but it has proven a good investment for us.

It is located in the centre of the city, walking distance to all of the tourist sights and with some great views over the lakes. We’re also located in a city where hotels are limited and generally poor value plus the rights of long term renters are very strong, rental amounts are tightly controlled and once you’ve had a tenant for more than two years it is very hard to evict them or increase their rent. This combination of factors makes airbnb very attractive here.

Hi, I just joined so I could get some perspective on an issue … and experienced something similar.

I’m wondering if this is even a real forum for hosts, or?

@copenhagenhost we actually sold my husbands bachelor pad in Stockholm, bc of all the long term rental reasons you said. We were tempted to use Air BNB, but with the strict laws (I know they are similar in Copenhagen) we decided it was a better idea just to sell.

We have a very good friend in Copenhagen who is also a host! She is always booked!

Why would you ask that? You think we are a bunch of frauds?

I started reading someone else’s posts and he was saying there are some people on here that are not hosts. Dunno. That’s why I asked. :smiley:

1 Like

Probably because we gave him an answer he didn’t like!

1 Like

@Ellie - this forum gets its fair share of spammers. These are people who join solely to sell something to hosts - an app that will ‘solve all our problems’, welcome packs, lockboxes … all sorts of things. Usually they post just once and go away.

Occasionally a guest might join for advice from hosts that they can’t get elsewhere but the majority of people who post here are experienced and knowledgeable hosts. It’s an interesting mix, too. Some have people staying in their own homes, others have rentals that are separate so there’s always a good mix of views and ideas. I learn a lot :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s good to hear. :smiley: Thank you jaquo!

1 Like

I definitely think it can be worth it if you approach it like a business. I recently saw a homeowner NET $150,000 from her vacation rental in Palm Springs (she was grossing about $230,000). Fixed rate rentals are a really good way for short-term rental investors to secure guaranteed rental income.

BiggerPockets (a forum for real estate investors) actually has an entire section dedicated to investing in short-term rentals, and I’ve found some really good advice and success stories there.

Here it is: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/530-short-term-and-vacation-rental-discussion

2 Likes