Is a bad review enough, or would you charge for breaking house rule?

What will you charge them for ? If you don’t accept pets then you don’t have pet fees. There is no damage . I think bad review is good enough

1 Like

The house rules say that breaking rules may result in eviction and/or monetary fees. I hesitate to put a specific dollar amount in the rules because then I’m stuck with that fee, even if damages actually exceed that amount.

Deep cleaning the house so that my family and future guests don’t have an allergic reaction. This house has brand new carpet and paint, and I paid $250 to have the air ducts cleaned out so that we wouldn’t have any trace of pet hair/dander from the previous tenant.

I suppose I could charge them for a bag of potting soil to replace what was dug out of my plant as well.

You mean you just paid 250$ after these guests or previous guests?
My point is If you didn’t replace anything or you are not going to pay these 250$ now then i don’t see what you can claim In this case, unless you were serious about soil.
But If you had in your house rules a fee for bringing pets , like penalty then yes. Like penalty for smoking .
I was once charged for lost keys that I later found, in Honduras. I asked a boy at the hotel how much to make new keys cost and he told me 50 cents. I confronted the owner why she charges me so much and where does it say that lost keys cost 20$ to replace. She couldn’t show me as she had no rule about it.
I asked her if she just made it up , the price and I know how much to make new keys cost here and then I can go make copy myself .
If you go into so much expences to get rid of presence of a pet then I think it’s wise to have penalty in your rule about illegal pets.
The had a group bringing a small dog too once who ate the remote control but I just bought new for 10$ and that was the end of story.

1 Like

Exactly, I think the work around for a host who does not want pets, for any reason the solution is ALLOW PETS with a $500 pet fee. For $500 I will give up my hatred of cats, risk errant dog pee and accept pets. Likely nobody will agree to pay it so my no pet policy will stand. The more likely situation will be some self entitled asshole will sneak a pet in, be caught on video and accessed the pet fee.

RR

1 Like

Is there a way to charge an actual pet fee through AirBnB, though? Or are you just saying to write it out in your listing and then send the guest the extra charges if they bring a pet?

I think there are extra charges that you can put through Air, but in this case it’s only through Resolution center

You have to change your listing to allow pets then the pet fee option will pop up. I have not done this, yet… But I have played with the settings to figure out how.

RR

Aah, that’s why I’ve never seen it. Well, I’m definitely not going to change my pet settings, so I’ll have to just stick with the resolution center for future rule breakers.

This must be new. I don’t have this option. Could you tell me how to find it or send some screen shots?

I just went to booking settings, allowed pets then to pricing and IT DID NOT have a pet fee. I must have seen this on VRBO I am going to look there next.

RR

:disappointed:

Ugh. So much for that hope.

Sorry, just back from VRBO backend, they have so much flexibility! I was able to add a $500 pet fee and still not allow pets. I added a custom rule that any undeclared pets would result in a $500 fee or cancellation of reservation without refund.

RR

2 Likes

I think VRBO is a good platform (as long as you don’t get chargebacks) for VR owners. But it doesn’t do me any good.