Irritating! "How did XXX do as a guest?" BEFORE they even leave!

Again and again…people are still here, it is not even check out deadline and ABB is sending me crap asking how did so&so do as a guest!

They can’t get their timing right and bug me with this, but are delaying payments and blaming PayPal! I wish they had their act together better!

Just venting, but, JEEZ!

1 Like

I hear you. I wish there was a way to turn off the notifications for reviews and now also for when people don’t respond to pre-approvals. I don’t need my phone going off with the Airbnb notification sound for those reasons all day long and in the middle of the night, making me jump up to check my phone to ensure that someone isn’t locked out or having an emergency, just to see it is some dumb Airbnb message. If anyone knows a secret that I don’t and it is possible to turn these off (while still receiving messages) I would love to know!

I’m considering buying a separate cell phone to keep on at night by my bed just for emergency calls, so that I can turn the sound on my regular cell phone off. I’m afraid guests wouldn’t end up using it though and would still try my regular number and I would miss them. I don’t have a ton of emergency situations, but I would hate to miss one.

Anyone have a good system for this type of thing?

I agree - I hate this.

Review notifications are automated, as are other messages. If these little things bother you so much perhaps you are better off NOT being hosts with AirBnb. Use one of the other services which REALLY ignore you!

I know. I get a ding on my phone asking how they did while they are still sleeping away downstairs.

It is new and annoying…try posting in the Host Voice forum on the Abnb site. I am told they actually read it.

I’m weird. It doesn’t bother me at all. But maybe this is because I leave my phone on the desk and don’t take it with me into the bedroom. If there are any problems, then it can wait until the morning. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Adjust your settings in the app to turn them off.

Host home > profile > settings > notifications

Doesn’t bother me at all and with all my one night bookings I get them frequently.

Edit: maybe you can’t turn off just the ones you want. I guess you could delete the app and just rely on email.

I just turned off the Reservations notifications and I’ll see if that helps. It’s too bad you can’t select the specific ones you want or don’t want (like it would be helpful to still get inquiry notifications but not the ones asking to review the guests). But I do still want to receive the Messages from guests.

1 Like

Have you never had a situation that required immediate attention and a guest couldn’t get ahold of you @jaquo ? I haven’t had many, but for example once I had a guest who had laundry in the dryer in the basement and was leaving on a flight the next morning. The basement door got jammed and I had to go over at 11pm and bust it open so she could get her laundry out.

General follow up question for everyone - how often do you check your Airbnb messages, how attached are you to your phone in case guests need to reach you, etc?

Never luckily. :slight_smile:

I think that there are two reason why. The first is that I do a thorough house tour with guests and ask them (probably too many times) if they have any questions about anything at all. The other is that my own apartment is only a few steps away from the rental so guests know that they can come and hammer on my door if there’s anything that’s truly urgent.

My phone is with me at all times except when I’m sleeping or in the bathroom! Although I have even been known to take it into the bathroom if I’m planning a shower that will take more than fifteen minutes.

I have answered guests’ enquiries from a dentists chair, in the supermarket, in the laundry room, even on the beach. :slight_smile:

I’m 100% attached. I try to always have it near and at night I rarely turn it off. This is for airbnb purposes, dogvacay purposes and my life. Like last year when my brother in law called to tell me my sister had suddenly passed away. It woke me up in the early morning and I don’t care how many annoyances I have to put up with I’m going to leave my phone on for those once in a blue moon notifications that I need to have.

For airbnb I live onsite so for real emergencies if I sleep through the ding (and I have) they can ring the doorbell and the dogs will make sure I get up. LOL.

That is how I am too. And I think that is the point of trying to remove as many false alarms as possible. When I hear the Airbnb noise go off, I stop whatever I am doing and attend to it in case it is important. Including keeping the sound on at night and waking up if I get a message. So I’d rather not get 5 messages during the night telling me non-critical things and then ignore the 6th that is actually important.

Is this only affecting people who use the app?

I haven’t had an Air booking in a very long time, so maybe this is new?

My last Air guests left the Thanksgiving week and I don’t recall receiving any texts regarding reviews. But I don’t use the app. I only recall receiving texts for new reservation requests and then a new text when the guest replies. Is this no longer the case?

In my experience they only send that one and no others!
They don’t even notify you when the guest has left a review!

Yes they are notifications sent through the app. They send them reminding you to leave reviews for guests (which as original poster pointed out is annoying because they often send them at weird times, way before the guest has even checked out, and the timing of these messages is not consistent). They also send notices when someone does not accept a booking pre-approval within 24 hours (saying “follow up with a message”).

Yes I get this too, but it doesn’t bother me so much. The way I see it, if they’re going to follow the prompt and leave a review before they’ve even left, they’re less likely to leave a bad one. Would be pretty awkward to see your host in the morning knowing you’ve left a bad review and that they might even have seen it

Update: I turned off Reservations notifications but I still got a reminder to review a guest today, so no dice with that solution.

1 Like