Insurance Companies 2018

I think this has been covered before but would like up to date comments/help. please.
I can’t find more than 2 companies that are willing to offer household insurance that covers airbnb hosting for more than 90 days, which I do. I let my room in my house so I’m there all the time.
Can anyone share companies that they use which would cover this.
Thank you in advance

You need to tell us where you are as this is an international forum.

Oh yes, newby!!
We are in the UK

Have you gone on the comparison sites?

Hello @vicki, I’m in the UK too. We used https://www.now4cover.com

We found their terms to be good and the price reasonable, considering the lack of clear competition in the market.

Hi @vicki

You are right it was covered quite recently including recommendations for UK companies that do insurance for STR, it should come up if you use the search function.

As @Jess said you can also use the comparison sits like this one https://www.moneysupermarket.com/home-insurance/short-term/?cicp1=&source=GOO-0X0000031B7F96D482&mckv=sF9CwneI1|dc_pcrid_258964963635_mtype_b_kword__2764ri918980_slid__pgrid_54755678633_ptaid_dsa-425933125560&uuid=11111111-1111-1111-1111-111111111111&Device=c&engine=google&ptaid=dsa-425933125560&gclid=CjwKCAjwx7DeBRBJEiwA9MeX_OP5eLu_rYosuWdDk5VOxq7cC-yuyogyBwALS1lQ0XcSAmdjwXqOcRoCvasQAvD_BwE&adloc=9045632&pgrid=54755678633

Hi and thank you, but what I’m getting from your link is just STR, and possibly as a top up, however, I need long-term rental for airbnb as I’m nearly always booked and as I said in my post I’ve only found 2 companies that do it. I have tried money supermarket who list about 6 companies but 5 won’t even look at it and one was very helpful until I said I wanted it for longer than 90 days.
I’m grateful for your reply
Regards
Vicki

Thank you for your reply, I will now look at this one it put me off as it was all online, but if its been good for you that gives me more confidence.
I think a lot of people could find their insurance is not valid
Regards
Vicki

Hi and thank you for your reply
I have tried money supermarket who list about 6 companies but 5 won’t even look at it and one was very helpful until I said I wanted it for longer than 90 days.
Regards
Vicki

We use www.towergateinsurance.co.uk. Whilst I’ve never needed to make a claim, their quote for our in-home B&B, both building and contents cover, was less than we were paying without cover for the B&B. The customer service was brilliant too.

I have recommended them here recently, with one person waiting for a call back. Perhaps they will chime in with regard to their experience.

Great many thanks, will try them also
Vicki

Thanks @Joan - yours was the post I suggested Vicki look for earlier.

You said you were looking for insurance for Airbnb which is a STR platform, so that’s what I directed you to @vicki . I didn’t look at the detail. I was just trying to help you.

I don’t quite understand your point about Airbnb being for LTR.

Why not speak to an insurance broker if you are struggling to find something that works for you.

You’re welcome. Our search was a little more complicated as it seems many home insurance policies wish you to specify solar panels (we’ve two types) so that together with the lodgers/Airbnb makes it niche.

@Joan, I looked at them when we first were searching last December. I will bear them in mind for renewal. I can’t see an automatic option that covers our circumstances but I’m sure if I called there might be something.

I’m sorry I think I didn’t explain very well. In general, Insurers don’t want to ensure hosts that have rooms that are occupied more than 90 days, whether it be one person or one every weekend, and my rooms are occupied for most of the year

At least that is what has been said to me by several insurers, I have seen a couple of insurer’s that do this kind of insurance and wanted to hear what other people did. Someone on this thread has suggested one and I have since found about three more that don’t the 90 day restriction clause. I hope that explains my position and I’m sorry for any misunderstanding

Vicki

I would say they pretty much “tailor made” our policy over the phone, then took it to their underwriters to confirm, which they did.

Vicki, TowerGate did not put any limit on how many nights we rent out.

Thank you, that’s really helpful
Vicki

We used Towergate for several LTR properties in the UK for several years. They’re brokers and with at least one property it appeared that the risk was spread between two different insurers. I agree, their customer service is excellent, until you make a claim…

Ok, it was a fairly complex claim (building insurance involving five properties in a block) but they (coincidentally) were the brokers for four of the properties. Delays in payments to contractors, not returning emails/phone calls and just generally being a bunch of *****!

On a scale of one to ten I’d give their service in relation to claims a three. We now insure our UK properties elsewhere.

Decent STR insurance can be hard to find in the UK, especially if it’s only one room you’re renting out.

An alternative to Towergate may be:

https://www.intasure.com/airbnb/index.asp?

Had experience of them in Turkey (holiday home cover) and they get good feedback from those who’ve made claims.

While we’re on the subject of insurance, we are hosting in Spain and use:

We have a 250yr old casa de vecinos and found them helpful and inexpensive. That said, we’ve not had to make a claim!

JF

Gosh this is a minefield, I wonder how many people letting out one room are underinsured.

Vicki

Thanks for sharing your experience with TG, and the added info. We’ll look at that, but we’re covered until March for now. We have three rooms rented out, well, allegedly…