Instructions for accessing Self CheckIn?

I actually have found the check-in instructions very handy, even before I had self check-in I had the check-in instructions filled in with pictures and description on how to walk to the apartment from the nearest train station as its not always straight forward.

I have now extended it to include how to self check-in.

You can only create it on your mobile, however if you go to your inbox and go to message, there is a little key icon, these are the check-in instructions that you can send to the guest yourself.

This is only available through mobile app, although once you send these to 1 guest, you can copy and paste the link to other guests from your desktop too.

Hi @amafzal

I definitely set mine up on my mac. Including uploading photos.

You don’t need to send your self check in instructions to your guests.

Airbnb automates this 72-48 hours before check in.

Maybe this is no longer an option or you are talking about something different than the link on the guest’s reservation? The Airbnb help center says you have to do this on the app.

Thanks for posting. Did anyone else notice that it say in one place:
“And that’s it! Once you create your instructions, we’ll do the rest of the work for you: We’ll automatically share your check-in instructions with confirmed guests three days before they arrive at your home.”

But then at the very bottom (the slide show of texts) it says they will share it 7 days prior to check in.

Which is it?

Yep. I noticed that too. I don’t know which it actually is, but I work around it by sending them my welcome message 3 days before arrival saying “Airbnb should have sent you instructions…”

1 Like

This “blog” posted by @Rapunzel is on the Airbnb website.

For me this just goes to the House Manual. I don’t see anywhere to upload photos?

I think the app on the phone is something entirely different. I’ll have to check it out.

That’s really strange I have just gone in and checked (am on my mac now) and I absolutely can make the changes on my laptop, using the instructions I linked to in an earlier post.

I have copied and pasted them for ease. Do these not work for you?

How do I add self check-in to my listing?

To add self check-in to your listing:

1. Go to Your listings on airbnb.com and select a listing
  2. Next to Guest resources , click Edit
  3. Below Directions , click Add self check-in
  4. Select the way that guests can get in to your listing
  5. Follow the instructions to add check-in instructions

Note: We won’t show guests these instructions until 3 days before their check-in date. Instructions are saved to the guest’s phone and can be viewed even if the phone isn’t connected to the Internet

This is screengrab of the top of mine using my mac.

Weird it definitely works on mine. Look at the instructions I have pasted above.

However, you are right I did need to go into my phone to upload the pictures of where my lock box is located.

1 Like

I have this set up already, but don’t see where to add photos. I think the check-in info people are setting up on the phone app is something different. Looking at it now.

I don’t need them as I don’t use that for check in; I was just trying to clarify for others.

Sorry using you in the widest sense :slight_smile:

Meant for those wanted to use their laptops to set up self check in.

1 Like

Nope. I had no idea. I always use a desktop, and it gives no indication that it exists at all. I would have jumped on it, believe me! I have a keypad check-in and it’s really painless for guests, but it has been a real bother for me as a host, because I feel like I can’t do errands or anything during a huge time period… say 3pm to midnight or whenever they might show up, JUST IN CASE. In any case, I promptly set it up this morning! I’m delighted!

I’m just going to say, lifechanging (I hope).

This is what it looks like on my desktop. If I go in to Keypad, which is what I use, no options are available to do the awesome pictures with self check-in like with the app. There’s not even an indication that it exists, as I said. I’m so excited that I found out about it! Holy moly, talk about late to the party :joy:

1 Like

That’s not it. You have to go the app to do it and then. Go to guest resources, then check in instructions (only available on the app) to add the info.

Once completed and you want to share it with your guests go to a message (in the app) and down the bottom is a key symbol. This gives you the link address that you can now send to your guest.

I did not work this out myself, someone on here (sorry can’t remember who to give the credit to) told me how to do it a couple of months ago. I had never noticed the key symbol as I rarely use the app preferring to work on my laptop.

1 Like

What I’m wondering, is if you add this on the app, does it over-write what you’ve already done in the desktop version of “Guest Resources” self-check in?

No, because they are two totally different sections. For example in the section that @Rapunzel screen shotted I don’t put the code in, but I do in the check in instructions via the app. I put it there because I worry that one day I will miss messaging someone on the morning of their check in and they won’t be able to get in.

That was me :slight_smile: You’re Welcome. I was actually surprised when Airbnb made such a big thing about this. It’s been available for quite a while. They’re acting like it’s new :joy:

1 Like

Glad my advice was useful and you have now found how you can upload self check in on your laptop/PC.

As I said in an earlier post, you still need to upload photos on your phone.

Oh @Poppy yes the screen shot provided by @Rapunzel is ‘it’ i.e. how you set up your self check instructions your PC/laptop.

I have been used this for the last five months or so and it works fine.

As I have said on here quite a few times already and as Airbnb say themselves on their Help Centre, this is what they direct you to, to upload self check in details.

Photos need to be uploaded using your phone.

I have seen the instructions on a guest’s phone and they work perfectly fine.