Insider Questions and Answers

LOL some things never change. / partially sarc

From the ToS on 8/21/09:

1.2 Identity Verification. We make no attempt to confirm, and do not confirm, any user’s purported identity. You are responsible for determining the identity and suitability of others who you may contact by means of this Site.

Case and point… We have many support agents and management members who have multiple felonies on their record and prison time served who not only have access to your entire account but also get travel credit on the platform. Air doesn’t do too much of a background which is why so many hosts do their own research prior (hopefully) to accepting a reservation.

1 Like

So, does Air specifically try to rehab ppl with records???

Remind me to tell you about my guest who was reminiscing one evening fondly about leading prison riots in Texas. (He was actually great!)

2 Likes

Not specifically and not rehab necessarily. No one can be hired with violence or sexual based offenses and all felonies must be 7 years old, or older. I have 32 class 2 felonies from being young and dumb but now have a management position within the company that air contracts their call center out to. Call centers hire most everyone with a pulse, high turn over rate and even higher stress level to those seasoned agents.

1 Like

Yes you can tick a box to say you don’t accept infants as your home isn’t suitable for them :slight_smile:

:heart:s for the hard road from then to now. It takes courage.

2 Likes

Good call, I am! So it seems that @RiverRock is still correct about the review period being 14 days from the first email.

Technically, infants are only up to 1 year (12 months) old. After that, they become toddlers and, as my mother used to say "Once they become mobile, they are no longer ‘cute’ " :wink: Of Course they are still ‘cute’ but not in the infant sense of the word. LOL Personally, I think toddlers are funnier than all get out but kids are my business. I think most hosts would be a great deal more agreeable if the term “Infant” were used correctly for children 12 months or less. Any child that is 1 year or older should count as a child.

2 Likes

Nevermind

RR

[quote=“AvaH, post:109, topic:30358, full:true”]

Technically, infants are only up to 1 year (12 months) old. After that, they become toddlers and, as my mother used to say "Once they become mobile, they are no longer ‘cute’ "
[/quote]And once mobile, esp walking, the potential for damage and injury skyrockets so i agree that age 0-2 is TOO broad a grouping. For my direct rentals, I have the following categories: 0-1 = infant, 1-5 = child, 6-12 = junior, 13+ = adult.
I charge a minimal amount for child and junior, but infants are free, esp as they are quite rare at my place which tends to skew to retired age group.

1 Like

@TheInsider Are the algorithms at ABB Central having issues again? Today I get under opportunities, one host requirement need your attention then when I get to What to Work on I have this:

But when I go to my ratings page I have this:

I’m not really too concerned about it, it’s just weird. Thanks for your time!

What is Air’s position on guests behaving badly? It’s unusual, but it happens- being sworn at, refusing to leave at the end of their term, getting drunk for days, pawing the host, etc? I know there is limits to what Air can do. But whats the policy on unruly guests?

1 Like

In my early days, I hosted infants twice in my B&B, and can absolutely state that they DO cost extra to host. Nappy disposal, extra water usage, extra cleaning, parents up late and drinking copious amounts of coffee/eating breakfast makings during the night that have to be replenished; other guests disturbed during the night and leaving with a refund. I could go on.

On both occasions I did not know they were bringing an infant because they thought they didn’t need to tell me, as there was no charge, despite my policy of no infants or children under eight.

I think it’s an absurd policy and your lack of insight illuminates the absurdity. Fortunately this has not happened for the last two years but if it did, I would send them to a hotel.

3 Likes

I’m not certain with this specific issue but I do know our entire system internally was done for about 15 hours yesterday, so this may place a role in what happened to you as well.

Not much at all, Trust and Safety will only get involved after a guest stays 36 hours passed their check-out time, drinking isn’t against any law, people swear constantly, etc. Air is very limited in this area mainly mediating the “issue” between both parties, mid-reservation alteration if both parties agree, cancel by guest once local PD gets involved, etc. This is another main area I hate how limited and “don’t give a shit” attitude Air has when it comes to host protection.

2 Likes

36 HOURS! Omg thats a day and a half. That guest would be out on their ass long before T&S gets involved if they tried that with me.

RR

2 Likes

And that’s why discussions like this one are so important. There’s not a whole heckuva lot they CAN do. You could be thousands of miles away.

So if a host or guest has behaved inappropriately, and a police report is filed, what determines if they are removed from platform?

2 Likes