Info on Airbnb shares for hosts (USA only)

Looks like you were not. Notification was by email. You haven’t been hosting long enough perhaps?

I received a invitation email back in November and I had a few days to say I would be interested in purchasing. Then on the 1st I received an email saying that I was given the option to buy and to set up an account with Morgan Stanley. Then it stated we would get an pricing amount yesterday after 6pm and prior to that I got a reminder email. The emails are from Morgan Stanley not Airbnb. Not sure if this helps :woman_shrugging:t3:

This news truly breaks my heart. I’ve been hosting 4 years and a superhost most of that time, and I’ve been watching for this offering for a year or more. I didn’t get the email with the price and purchase notification.
What did the shares sell for?

$68. There are lots of unhappy hosts. Ironically I got through the whole process successfully, but didn’t have much free cash so didn’t sign up for many. My daughter was beside herself that I didn’t buy more.

There always are. Airbnb knows full well that no matter what they did (within reason) there would be whining (unless they gave away shares to every single host).

The way I look at it, they distributed hundreds of millions of dollars to hosts. They didn’t have to do that at all.

I haven’t heard of anyone who got more than 200 shares. Sure it’s a nice payday to double your money overnight but most people aren’t getting rich off $15,000. It’s a lot, it takes me 1 to 2 years to make that off my Airbnb, but it’s not enough to waste my angst on. If we’d all known it would double each of us would have put in for max, gotten 5 shares and then people would have complained about that.

2 Likes

I’m not unhappy because I didn’t get a bunch of free shares. I’m unhappy because they offered hosts the opportunity to invest, I followed the steps to gave us, but they never reached back out. Just do what you say you’re going to do.

It sucks, but it is what it is at this point.

First of all, they weren’t free. Second, they did do exactly what they said - it was first come first serve, and they anticipated high interest so participation may close early. Those things did happen. They never promised that if you responded it would guarantee you shares.

2 Likes

I think @mikelhoang is just responding to the idea that no matter what Airbnb did, there would be complaints. He’s saying his complaint isn’t as ridiculous as “free shares” and ergo, his complaint should be treated with more respect.

@mikehoang I understand your frustration. However, as has been repeatedly pointed out from the first time Airbnb email an announcement about the program inviting hosts to express interest it was clear that getting shares would be limited and prioritized based on host seniority, overall demand and first come, first served. They did what they said they were going to do, you just didn’t make the cut.

1 Like

Here’s the latest NPR article. It’s going to be interesting for a while. It feels like many people just wanted to buy/sell for a quick buck. I intend to hold and it’s probably gonna be a roller coaster for a few months.

https://apple.news/AarI-QuuITqCfjFOTAVTZJA

I can see I could never be a journalist. LOL. As I’ve said before, if every host bought the max (and we all would have if we could double our money in a day) then we each would have gotten 5 shares. Reading that hosts don’t read their emails from Airbnb, for whatever reason, doesn’t engender any sympathy in me at all.

I can’t think of any stock I’ve ever bought or thought of buying that wasn’t. My intention is to buy more if the price dips.

A bird in the hand as they say. Lots of folks like the thrill of stock trading. They love to crow about how they doubled their money or more and sold before the fall, etc. People that bought that don’t really believe the hype are sure they can buy back in at a lower price. As for the young man whose partner worried about having the money to make the purchase and then they celebrated the windfall by immediately blowing a portion of the proceeds by heading to Vegas I can only say YOLO! Ah, to be young and stupid again! LOL.

Edit to add: A good number of hosts have really taken a hit this year due to the pandemic and I don’t blame them at all for taking the money and running. Some probably have to. I may have to come tax time or if some emergency comes up this winter.

1 Like

Ah gotcha. Didn’t realize it was a first come first serve. That would make sense!

Eh. It is what it is. Sucks I missed out!

There are plenty of folks who think it’s overpriced. Many others think there will be a correction in markets generally upcoming. If you want an investment and not just a quick trade there will be opportunities to buy in.