'Infants' option for number of guests that doesn't count towards TOTAL Number!

that is what is totally cra-cra, that azreala found out about this AFTER the guests booked…

1 Like

@dcmooney I’m glad I was able to find out before more damage was done, for everyone!!

2 Likes

yes, thanks for posting, azreala - I am still really stunned.

1 Like

@dcmooney we are too!!

2 Likes

I don’t agree with you. If you do NOT let a ridiculous amount of kids stay for free, you are not family friendly. Full stop.

It is up to you to decide. You cannot have your cake, and eat it, too.

Hi, Im Inge from Germany.
I completly agree with the points in this discussion.
My Airbnb is often booked from families and I have support of baby-bed and baby bedding and so on.
And I know as a mum and as a host, that kids course more cost as adults. So kids (and infants) pay as a “normal” guest at my place.
Saturday night I recieved a request of a family and the infant was not counted in.
In my opinion it is up to the host to do the pricing of the listing. Changing rules of booking without informing host or guest is maybe not legal.
I would appreciate that infants and kids can be listed if there is a button to price them in. So every host can dicide if kids are free or the amount the host wantś for booking in infants/kids.
I really hope that Airbnb will change this, as my place is still very family friendly, but not for free!
Best for you all

1 Like

I discovered this when booking as a guest (see my earlier comment) - I was booking for me and my husband in a place that had one bed, two people occupancy and had no pets and not ‘family friendly’ - I was presented with a screen asking how many children, and pets, and the note about infants and pets ‘not counting’. It seems it doesn’t matter whether you are busting the max figure, or are bringing infants to a ‘no young kid’ zone …

1 Like

https://www.airbnb.com/groups/content/content-212904 For your info - this is the screen I got last week.

I’m glad this is raising some hackles! I posted about this last week and I think it’s insanity. I have now removed “family friendly” from my listing which is a ridiculous work around.

There’s discussion of this in another forum (Global Hosting) where Andrew specifies exactly what you have to do in order to be able to turn away extra guests, and a strategy on how we can provide feedback to Airbnb.

Thank you so much for this link. I also saw this while visiting the CC.
Unfortunatly it seems that neither the support nor the Airbnb employees have been informed about this.
I have the feeling that dictating prices to the hosts- and this is it if kids are suddenly fee - is not confirm to German rules.
I discussed that out with the support on the phone and hopefully they will add a funktion to price in infant, kids and dogs by the host himself.
So that every host is free in the desicion how much and if a kid should cost.
Looking forward to read about your following experiences :slight_smile:

1 Like

To think, their crack engineers COULD have been working on fixing the sales and occupancy tax fiasco instead!

5 Likes

Is the pets tick-box showing up for hosts who don’t allow pets?

@Caiti WOW that is just mind boggling!!

I just added the below phrase to my House Rules, so any IBer will have to confirm that they ‘read’ the rules before booking:
Max occupancy 8 guests, including children.
Children are charged at extra person rate, regardless of age.

@Inge Support had NO clue about this when I called.

@dcmooney Or the ‘Permit’ field disappearance issues, for those of us required by LAW to have the permit number in a separate field on our listing.

Thatś what I also recognized, @azreala. The support was not informed, the employees are not informed.
At the moment I try looking positive to future as so many host react to the situation.
The answer from my german support was, that it is a good suggestion to add a funktion that the host can price in infants and kids with prices the host decides. My support told me took this question to the IT and hopefully this tool will be programmed.
So there is no promise, but a signal of good will.

Ähem… I hope you understand my german school-englisch :wink: :slight_smile: :smiley:

1 Like

Oh HELL no. I just disabled instant book AND family friendly. Nope nope nope nope nope. Wouldn’t that warrant a notification to all hosts, that they’ve introduced that? I must have missed it - OR HAVE I???

3 Likes

Cheers Kona, good call!!!
I am slightly hungover :sob:

1 Like

That’s unbelievable! Kids make mess therefore there should be a charge for kids to!

I used to have family friendly ticked, but after an experience with a brat, I put in my house rules that my place aint suitable for children. Too much hard work.

@dcmooney…check your FB messages!

SUCCESS!!! I just received this message from the ‘Listening Program Manager’ aka the person who is charge of gathering host feedback and making changes:

Hi Azreala,
I hope that you are doing well. I am just about to send a document to the product team that has instituted this change explaining how the community is reacting. It will include your story. Sorry that you have been negatively impacted by this.

We are working on adjusting this experience to meet the needs of hosts.

Thank you for the thorough message.

6 Likes

@inge Du sprecht Englisch sehr gut. Ich spreche Deutsch nicht sehr gut!

1 Like