'Infants' option for number of guests that doesn't count towards TOTAL Number!

Yes, it’s under family friendly… I am not sure whether it’s in certain markets are all over… but if you uncheck family friendly you will still get bookings!

Yana, it won’t apply to you if you have Family Friendly unchecked. Someone brought this up on the Airbnb FB page last week and someone quoted it here. You guys may want to uncheck Family friendly if you want to leave instant book on.

Now I’m really scratching my head. My husband and I have looked all over the web, played around on airbnb to get this ‘kids are free’ notice to coming up - nothing.

Then this from the airbnb help on the website

"Look for Family/Kid Friendly listings

If a host adds Family/Kid Friendly as an amenity, this implies that infants, children, and families are welcome in their listing. You’ll still need to disclose the total number of guests, including infants and children, accurately when making a reservation request.

You can also ask questions or clarify the details of your trip with your host by clicking Contact Host before submitting a reservation request. For example, if your host charges an extra guest fee, you may want to check if the fee applies to infants or children traveling with you."

@konacoconutz I was looking too and could not find any definition other than the one I posted, that extra person charges are at the host discretion, which is contradictory to what actually happened.

@dcmooney Your are going through the exact freak out I did when I saw a reservation for 9 guest of which 3 were not paid for!!! I unchecked Family friendly, because I’m not sure how many guests actually cared/read, bc we all know guests don’t read.

2 Likes

@dcmooney That is the EXACT excerpt I quoted to the guest and on an above post. The current policy contradicts the above passage on the website. It is very bizarre. I would turn off Family Friendly until this is all sorted out, just to be safe.

I’m on hold now to talk to a person. I don’t even get the ‘infant’ option when searching for places around the world.

Yes, I would turn off family friend and IB. I’m pretty much booked through the summer, anyway - and I’ve blocked off everything after September 5 until I’m sure we want to stay with it.

Thanks for the heads-up

1 Like

Go to their FB page where you should be able to find the long discussion about it with the disgruntled hosts… It could be happening in test markets! But just to be sure you should uncheck Family Friendly for the moment!

@dcmooney Make sure you put in your listing the TOTAL number of people because apparently children are not people! LOL

UPDATE:

This is Adam with Airbnb - thanks for taking my call earlier. I am glad you were able to get the reservation cancelled without penalty, but wanted to follow up about the questions you had when we talked.

As it stands now, children do not count towards the total number of guests in the system. I have sent this in as a suggestion from you, so it will get escalated and hopefully be rolled out in the future. The only thing I can suggest to help circumvent this is to put it in your listing description that your total of 8 guests includes children, not just 8 adults. It’s just another level of clarification and lets us be able to cancel on the guest’s behalf for violating your booking terms.

Another option would be turning instant book off, so you are having conversations with each guest before hand and finding out who is in the traveling party. This can be an inconvenience if you are used to guests booking without having to contact you first, but it would help let you make the decision before the reservation is accepted.

As far as the instant book cancellations, it is only three times per host, not per listing. The penalty free cancellations are really only there for situations where you don’t feel comfortable hosting a guest, which hopefully doesn’t come up often. If that comes up and you don’t want to use the instant book cancellation, please reach out to us and explain what’s going on. We do have some alternatives as long as we know the situation, so that you don’t have to just cancel the reservation.

I know those might not be the best answers for your situation, but please know that Airbnb does take suggestions from hosts very seriously and it will be a matter that we look into.

If I can help with anything else in the meantime, please let me know.

All the best,

Adam Willis
www.airbnb.com/help

1 Like

@konacoconutz What facebook group? Can you send me the link? I would love to get involved :slightly_smiling:

It’s just their corporate page… but there are FB groups to join for the VRBO crisis!

THIS IS MAJOR!!!

@konacoconutz VRBO crisis!! LMAO.

1 Like

NOW, I can’t find the conversation! Even though the corporate page has tons of ppl bitching and moaning about their reservations and terrible experiences! In between posts of @Mearns place :wink: and Justin and Beyonce’s Air stays… LOL.

1 Like

@konacoconutz Was dying over the Queen Bee and Beiber stay, for the record its 60 mins outside SF.

1 Like

Have another glass of wine! I just poured a tall stout… A guinness, in fact! Cheers to my favorite forum friends…
@azreala, @dcmooney, @Yana_Agapova, @felixcat, @brook2adks, @tom2 and @sunshine1!!!

Can’t include BBM until he removes the rat poison pic. :wink:

2 Likes

@konacoconutz on my 3rd…

1 Like

yes. I’m on the line with ‘Ryan’. He’s checking his resources. :heart_eyes: We shall see what he says.

But we’ve done property searches for all over the world, for up to 10 people, etc., and never once is the website asking me for ages, infants, etc. This is why I’m puzzled.

OK - RYAN from airbnb said YES this is something new and active on 50% of the properties - it comes up once you book the trip - it asks you then, who’s coming, ages, etc.

OH!! And by INFANT they mean 0-2. TWO? My God you talk about WALKING CRYING POOPING STICKY FINGERS TWO!!!

I let him have an ear full - poor soul - I kept saying “I’m not yelling at you! I know it’s not your decision” and trying to quiet down. I told him I was immediately going off IB and family friendly. (Like I’m such a big player with my 2 bedrooms in the basement, lol!)

He said that my timing was perfect because some big how-do-ya-do was going to be in there today and discussing this, and he was going to forward my comments to them.

So if anyone else wants to call 415-800-5959 and let them know, this would be a great time to do so! If you get Ryan on the phone, tell him I said hello, lol.

Meanwhile - let me see - manage listing…calendar and more…instant book - OFF. Family friendly - NO.

What did another host recently say “May all your guests be quiet and clean?”

1 Like

you’s guys are lucky - I’m on the clock now for my other job…

enjoy!!! Kona it’s nice and early for you! Should make for a pleasant sunset!

1 Like

Yes… through the rain! It’s a gloomy gross day here in Hawaii nei!

PS, DC/// I’m going to include you on a fun FB post for Kyle… but it’s just for fun, not trying to hint for anything…:wink: you’ve already done way too much for us, my friend!

How can they spring something on hosts with no notification??? !!! Boggles the mind. Glad you were able to stop the train wreck in time!