'Infants' option for number of guests that doesn't count towards TOTAL Number!

I know. This is so ill judged from airbnpowersthatb
Btw, I added
"Thanks - for responding quickly - this is a big deal! Guests will start to feel aggrieved when turned down because of their children when the message they’re getting during the booking process is that children are ok, and infants free! There are good reasons why some places can’t accommodate youngsters, and the additional people also bursts the idea of setting maximum capacity. This is just wrong."
We’ll see. Doesn’t look like they’re reviewing it yet :confused:

1 Like

I need wine! Please count me in!

God knows I know all about kids! I had twins who are now about to turn 21! There’s no way a baby or toddler would be a good fit for my place, and I cannot believe Air is forcing that on hosts. They are going to lose all their IB hosts that way!

PETS TOO??? It says that…??

1 Like

Certainly! The more the merrier :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well that is confusing!

Can admit now… but one of my boys always looked younger than his age (even now he looks more like 18 than 21) and confess I have taken advantage of that in the distant past in order to allow him to go free or for less on travel reservations. This was 20 odd years ago, so don’t judge! :smile:

What are hosts going to do? demand a birth certificate for children??? They can say he’s 3… when he’s really 4 or 5 because he LOOKED three or under!

You can see why they would do it at a hotel…3 and under free… but as we all know. Hello. Air BnB is not a hotel???

1 Like

UPDATE: I ended up cancelling under the IB guarantee because the dates are next week and I really didn’t want to wait for Air BNB to cancel for me, as we all know that will take DAYS, and I would like the days rebooked… I had to leave a little message when canceling and I may have been a touch kurt: ’ Going you should be upfront with the host regarding the number of people you are booking and take note when that number is in excess of the total number of allowable guests.’ He responded with he was willing to pay the extra fee but because I acted like he was a criminal he now refuses! OH. THE. DRAMA.

7 Likes

It’s a matter of cost not being friendly or discriminatory. Additional people use additional resources. Water, trash, etc. Add an extra tub full of water daily, diaper disposal, etc. Extra stains.

So much for “My house, my rules”?

4 Likes

Hey… I’m all fine with possibly omitting the number of people at hotels, etc. However, AIr BNB is someone’s home, and that to me, rightly or wrongly, is different. We have done 20+ home exchanges and I would never think to not tell the hosts, exactly the number of people and pets going with us. The underlying issue is most people don’t care and are using Air as a back up when hotels are too expensive. This particular dude probably thought he was going to pull one over on me and get a house in the wine country for his 8 family members for 1/2 of the normal price.

This needs to be reviewed ASAP. I’m debating sending an email to Chip Conley on this topic, because of the terrible repercussions it can have on busting the max number of guest count.

2 Likes

And for the record we have moved onto the hard stuff after 3 calls to Air Bnb, countless messages with the guest, and @airbnbhelp on twitter. LOL

1 Like

@konacoconutz @Caiti @jaquo I did send Chip Connelly a personal email as well, with the broader issue, not just my current predicament. He has always been a great advocate for hosts at Air BNB HQ, so fingers crossed he can get this issue solved.

2 Likes

@azreala - keep us updated!

Who is this now? …

Head of Global Hospitality at Air BNB. He personally greeted every Super Host at the Air Bnb Open and advocates for us within the organization. He’s a great guy.

1 Like

According to Wikepedia infants are children from 1 month old to 12 month old. SO basically its kids who do not walk. And do not need a legitimate full bed, as parents usually bring some sort of sleeping arrangement.
I was trying to see where Airbnb are saying that infants can stay for free but could not find that.
The only reason why i think they are saying that infants are free that usually hotels, airplanes, parks and attractions do not charge for infants. Infants can not do much damage as they do not do anything themselves, they are fed, carried, given bath. My cleanest house was when my daughter was a baby, and the whole mess started when she started walking.

1 Like

Infant is kind of obvious:slightly_smiling:

Yana, it’s zero to three that they are saying can stay free… which brings it up to the toddler realm and also can allow for the age futzing that probably nearly all parents have done at some point or another!

Where does it say? I can not find it, not they i allow children anyway

I’m trying to read all these details but it is hard because I am freaking out.

What??? All over my listing it says “children are welcome but each one counts as a person” etc etc. We just had a small one here - the crying! The diapers!! They had to bring her upstairs to bath her in the tub and she screamed bloody #)(*$#)( murder the entire time. Sure, that’s ok, kids are kids - but to host this little screamer-pooper for free? NO WAY!!!

I can’t even fathom that they would force this on hosts!!! I don’t know what to do! I’m on IB and family friends - that’s our ‘mission’ so to speak. But I’m not hosting any human being for free. Just ask me how much trash that family created…not that I pay for the disposal per pound, but I carry it out - per pound!!!

4 Likes