Incompatible in a shared environment

When we review our guests we are are asked by AirBnB, “Would you recommend this guest to other hosts, yes or no.”

We have a guest staying with us at the moment for 7 nights. I was doubtful about accepting the booking as he had no reviews (only just joined AirBnB last month) and he came from a different source and was staying with us for a different reason from our usual bookings.

We are a tropical beach tourist destination and all of our bookings to date (about 25) have been people from around the world in a holiday mood snorkelling on the reef and visiting the rainforest etc.

We share our house with our AirBnB guests and we have just the one bathroom. We have two rooms available for guests. Currently we have a young German couple staying for 9 nights in one bedroom and this other single male guest in his 50s staying in the other.

In Australia we have what we call FiFo (Fly in, Fly out) workers working in the mines. A typical arrangement will be 2 weeks on and 1 week off. This guest chose to stay with us on his one week off. One of our sons has been a FiFo, also an electrician, so we’re familiar with the FiFo world if I can put it that way.

There is still 3 nights left in his stay so I don’t know how things will eventually pan out. Because of a number of sort of small things I may find it difficult to recommend him in a shared home environment. He doesn’t smile. He leaves the aircon on in his room when he goes out for the day even though that is something that we mention on check-in. Even though he has been asked to use our headphones if watching TV he doesn’t. There is a sort of uneasy feeling in the house when he is around - certainly not the bright happy tropical holiday atmosphere that we like to think we share with our guests. We are superhosts after 5 months with AirBnB.

If I had to review him today, what I would like to be able to do is not recommend him for a shared home environment but recommend him for a stand-alone property like where there are no shared spaces. But we don’t have that option do we? It would be good if we had that choice. ie “Would you recommend this guest in a shared environment?” Yes/No. “Would you recommend this guest in a non-shared environment?” Yes/No

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware that this particular issue has come up before. Leaving our specific issue aside, how about guests who are just uncomfortable to be around in a shared environment who also somehow just don’t know how to relate and respect others’ space but follow all of the specific rules and leave their room in good condition?

How do you review them?

1 Like

The fact that he left the air-conditioning on and didn’t use headphones per your house rules would make me just say no, I would not recommend this guest. In the written review you can say he might be more suited to a private space, but the rule breaking makes me think he’s not suited for either.

1 Like

@JohnnyAir What did the guest say when you reminded him about your house rules regarding the air conditioning and using headphones for the TV?

Sometimes we need to remind guests.

If he continues to break the house rules, there is no reason you can’t ask him to leave.

3 Likes

He looks very surprised.

Some people have very low self awareness. Sounds like he might be such.

You can block him to stop him booking again, sounds like you need to review your AirCon control system.

How do you block someone from booking again?

I would say… “a hotel would suit this guest better”…

I can’t understand that people book a room in a shared house and don’t want to interact with the host and others in the house… why book there in the first place? if one wants to be alone, go to a hotel… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. I didn’t know that you could block an individual guest.

Yes you’re right. He should be in a hotel or motel. In fact he probably is. He hasn’t turned up for two nights. I sent him a message last night asking if he would be back and his reply, “Not Coming Back Tonight”.

Half of his possessions are still in his room and his camper/trailer is still charging in the carport.

1 Like

if he paid for the nights and is not there… good for you! money and no trouble :slight_smile:

I wonder. I’ll know on Wednesday I guess!

This was the original question that I put to the forum. Since I posted it, the guest would get a ‘no’ on both counts but what if you have a guest that TuMo describes as:

and yet they follow the rules - just not emotionally suited to shared living which is really the essence of AirBnB. But more and more hosts are offering stand-alone apartments and cottages for example so it wouldn’t be fair to discriminate against these guests and hosts in this scenario.