Inauguration 2017 - Washington, D.C

That coffee machine looks really nice. Do you know what brand it is? Cost? Do guests ever screw anything up when using it?

Washington Post states that the Womenā€™s March is on.

3 Likes

but isnā€™t this price gouging?

Interesting questions. Wikipedia defines gouging as

ā€œPrice gouging is a pejorative term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent. Usually this event occurs after a demand or supply shock: common examples include price increases of basic necessities after hurricanes or other natural disasters. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a crime that applies in some jurisdictions of the United States during civil emergencies. In less precise usage, it can refer either to prices obtained by practices inconsistent with a competitive free market, or to windfall profits. In the former Soviet Union, it was simply included under the single definition of speculation.ā€

Hotels are currently increasing their prices on average 262% - of the hotels that Iā€™m tracking, all under $1,000. There are plenty of room available for over $1,000. I think it may not be considered gouging as people can choose to come. Gouging is when there is a flood and people are charging $500 for a $25 life vest.

I think the reason that itā€™s not ā€˜gougingā€™ is people are free to come or not. It may exclude a certain class of people, but so does every concert ticket. Iā€™d love to go to the Kennedy Center a lot more often but I canā€™t afford to. Does that mean they are gouging? Someone is able to buy those seats, just not me or my family. When I have been, Iā€™m stunned at the number of families that do attend. More power to 'em. Honestly Iā€™ve only afforded it when my own daughter (brag alert) was dancing there.

1 Like

@dcmooney inquiring minds NEED to know! Did you get a booking and for how much!?

1 Like

I donā€™t think @dcmooney got a booking sadly.

@Zandra is absolutely correct. Nothing. I have spent hours searching listings and hotel prices and always tried to price accordingly - taking into account the basement apartment, outside of city center, etc. Also thinking I should be able to consider my reviews - which - hey hey!! I just got my 100th!! Iā€™ve always tried to price competitively. Iā€™ve not tried to play games.

Just as an example of pricing, the Homewood Suites, only 8 miles closer to town, is still listed at $609 for 4 guests in 1 room, 1 queen and 1 sofa bed_. Many hotels are in that range, many higher.

Iā€™m currently at $352. Homewood has just three rooms left in the entire hotel. So, people are paying that kind of money.

Comparing myself to other airbnb listings - there are only about 26 listings at my price or lower that are located inside the beltway, equidistant or closer to town than me. Most are new with no reviews or fewā€¦

With IB on that number drops to 5.
Using the superhost filter only, IB off, it drops to 2.
Iā€™ve played with my verbiage, added some better photos, jerked the price up and down - I really donā€™t know what else to do but to just let it go. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll ever understand it, though.

Soā€¦I donā€™t think itā€™s my price. I donā€™t know what to think. When I can, I donā€™t think about it at all.

But, one thing I grapple with - Iā€™ve already made $600 because of the cancellation. I told her I would refund most of it if I rebooked. She asked twice what was happening. I responded with lots of stats and prices - all from my research. I know that Iā€™m perfectly in my rights to keep the dough, but I donā€™t like being paid for nothing.

Thanks for thinking of me!

You should try to have your listing on booking.com for these special days.
90% are already booked for 5 personsā€¦and the minimum price is so high.

Congrats on reaching that milestone!

You still might get a last minute booking from someone, especially if there is nice weather. I know if I were considering going and was driving in Iā€™d be watching the weather forecast.

2 Likes

great idea!

I did start a listing with them but didnā€™t like the lack of ID verification as I have kids in my home. But Iā€™m going to do it.

thanks.

maybe Craigā€™s list?

Itā€™s just all so crazy.

have just the dates open for the inauguration.

You will be in concurrence with only booking.com listing and if you see the minimum price itā€™s crazy.

Donā€™t know craig list.

1 Like

i donā€™t think anyone booked at those crazy prices to be honestā€¦ weeks ago there was some expert on here who said everyone had their prices high but no-one was biting.

Well When I am looking our city for some dates very booked .People are booking for high prices.

:slight_smile: you donā€™t need to believe me. You just need to believe that @dcmooney hasnā€™t been able to get a booking at a higher rate. I think the same people looking on booking.com are able to look on airbnb, assuming they have a computer. I personally donā€™t think those rates you see tell the whole story or Nancy should have cleared up weeks agoā€¦

Of course I mean there are high prices and too high pricesā€¦
But I agree that she canā€™t have the same price as hotels, itā€™s need to be lower

Iā€™m $257 cheaper than a hotel only 8 miles closer, that provides much less space, fewer beds.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a good thought!!

Honestly, and not to be political, but Trumpā€™s inauguration is a total downer. You probably would have been booked at a satisfactory rate right now had Hillary been elected.

DC itself is a very Democratic city. The idea of Trump is just, wellā€¦
Depressing.

Other Than that DC, itā€™s the time of year causing your slowdown. Not competition. JMHO?

3 Likes

My husband was saying something similar this evening - that a Trump supporter may be more comfortable with the anonymity of a hotel. Especially as Maryland is a very democratic state. Guests may not prefer to risk it.

Last January wasnā€™t bad - 68% booked (not including many blocked dates for the holiday) - but my average price per night was $59. Some families of 5 stayed for $78 a night. I may lower my prices again as some income is better than none. I have 4 nights booked this month.

And I agree - the whole situation is a downer.

2 Likes

While I agree that the inauguration is a Debbie Downer, there are other events occurring during the time.

It does make me think that the hype around these events is just hot air.