Inaugeration Dates & Prices

Really you must be watching different news channels from me. The main story on all our radio stations, tv stations and print media is the US elections, impact on world stock markets, falling currency in Mexico etc.

1 Like

When I have someone who wants to cancel I message them back and say although under my cancellation terms I am entitled to keep the money from their reservation, that if I am able to re-book in whole or part of the nights they have booked, I maybe able to offer a refund.

I confirm with them that the sooner they cancel the better the chance there is for me to do this…and then leave the ball in their court.

4 Likes

How do you refund the money once you re-book? Through the resolution? Just want my facts straight before offering anything. As mentioned above I imagine she and her 4 friends have purchased air fare as well, so they may want to come.

Well BNB send you a notice saying the guest wants to cancel. You message them back and confirm in line with your cancellation policy YOU WILL NOT be offering them a refund. However if you get a new booking you will consider a refund.

Then if a new booking comes in you can consider a partial or full refund.

In my case I didn’t get a new booking so it wasn’t an issue.

1 Like

I did just write her and told her I would refund except for a $50 admin fee since the booking process takes time and energy. However, I also told her that if I book for more than what she was paying I would not keep the $50.

We’ll see what she says!

You have been very nice but better for you that is getting the place open again.

1 Like

This makes me very proud to be English. Very proud indeed. Remember the uproar about the cadbury’s creme egg?! And then the Brexit upset over marmite? Priorities. Yep. Brit forever no matter where in the world I may be.

Well you clearly have not been watching the BBC as it has covered the election all night!

1 Like

I certainly do - we have our priorities right. I remember some kerfuffle about Newcastle Brown too.

Radio 4. But I’m in the States so five hours behind. I think that maybe they were fed up of the election by the time I was listening!

She has cancelled, did not say anything in response to my offer for additional refund if I book it.

Now - new price - my ‘off season’ price is $85 for 2, then $100, $115, and then $130 for 5. She snapped it up at $260 a night for 5, twice my normal rate.

HOLY CRAPOLLY!!! I just checked out my competition - over $1,000 per night!!!

My heart is literally pounding and my hands sweating!!!

1 Like

Well, that includes 3 kids, extended family, and travel to visit family, including paying for a place to stay.

And hey, half is all I’m allowed to keep anyway!

Thanks, @Robert_Dudley - I’m researching now to see how high I should go.

Since my apartment/suite is in my home it’s a bit tricky to compare. I also serve breakfast and have 85 great reviews -

Sadly, my remodel is about to be finished up, but isn’t yet. The second bedroom is going to be so much nicer than what is on my listing currently- but I won’t have it put together until Sunday, maybe Saturday.

Also the kitchen, living area will look 100x nicer.

Do you think I should wait until my place looks better, or go for it now?

It’s also hard to price since some hosts seem to not have a clue and still have winter rates posted, while others are truly going for it!

I remember my dad’s advice when I was a young woman applying for jobs. He said “ask for more than you would ever think they would give you; they might say yes, but they can always counter-offer”. Later I was about to ask for one salary with a prospective boss, but remembered my dad’s advice, swallowed, and asked for 23% more - and got it.

1 Like

Thanks for the hand-holding. It was very helpful. I’ve been comparing on airbnb. I just went to travelocity and booking.com. On booking.com, which on the map shows a red dot if the property is sold out, it is almost entirely red. Places that are available are $800-$1,000 a night, even hotels the same distance from me.

Travelocity is about the same.

Anyone shopping for rooms on those sites are, right about now, thinking “Hmmmm, what about this airbnb thing, maybe I’ll check-it out!”

One of the sites said “3,000 people are shopping for rooms in DC at this moment”.

Thanks for the good advice, @Robert_Dudley. You know me well enough by now to know that I am ‘price shy’ but I’m tired of feeling like people are getting a deal that no one in this world is offering me when I travel.

Now I need the nerves of steel to wait it out…

Block those dates. Research today. Then set the rates tomorrow. How many days are people coming for this event?

SNOOZE your listing before you slap those rates up. Don’t let someone instant book while you are editing the rates, and your listing is live. Snooze, snooze, snooze…

1 Like

@cabinhost Why snooze the whole listing when she just wants to block a few days?

2 Likes

I’m talking about snoozing the listing right before she goes in to edit the rates.

I suggested blocking the dates now, and then snoozing right before she goes in to change the rates. That way no one can instant book before she saves the rates.

I have the price now at $540 for 2 people, up to $570 for 5. The Hyatt equidistant from the center of town is asking $600.

Embassy Suites much farther out than me (Dulles Airport for those who know) is asking $514.

Fairfield, in an area that is redeveloping but still sketchy (@konacoconutz same area you had booked in last year) is $800 for a pretty studio. I offer more than that, but am a bit farther out.

Prior guest was paying $260.

1 Like

The Hyatt for $600 and the Embassy Suites for $514 - is this just for one bedroom with two beds?

Or is this a suite?

Because your additional person fee can’t be altered for those dates…I am going to give my unsolicited advice and suggest you price it out as two couples traveling together. What do you think? Is this a big family event? Or is this the type of event (like your first group) where the adults get together?

Reach for the stars…go for $725 a night for all 5 people.