I'm starting to panic

I wonder if I should get a portable refrigerated A/C. If my guest room A/C went out, I’d have a problem too. Though I went to get to quite a lot of trouble to find the most reliable and highly rated A/C I could find available. Spoiler: it’s a Mitsubishi Heavy.

I didn’t even know that was a possibility. Don’t A/C’s need to be fitted in the room so that can pull in air from outside and stuff?

Addendum: I see that @KKC said:

Can someone tell me what “appropriate” means in this context? Thanks.

I can only speak in Fs and not Cs but the high today is expected to be 89 degrees. A little nippy but it will do nicely. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

The vent off the portable AC unit is a ~4-5 inch diameter accordion tube that clips into a rectangular panel that sits in the window opening. The panel has adjustable edges to fit many windows.

It works well on single and double-hung (where one pane lifts up), but not on casement-style (the ones that swing open like a door) because it doesn’t seal the window opening. There are some kits or DIY solutions to make them work in casement windows, but they’re not usually included with the portable AC unit.
https://goo.gl/images/BhpcWV

1 Like

I see @Allison_H has answered this already.

Most of the windows in my home are “sliders” meaning the opening of the window is oriented vertically and you slide the window open rather than lift up. Also it’s better if it’s a window that isn’t too high up on the wall because the accordian tube is unwieldy and unattractive. There needs to be an electric outlet close enough to the window. Ideally it would be on it’s own circuit but if you can’t manage that having a lightly loaded circuit is necessary so you don’t trip the breakers.

Today was 25 degrees Celsius and it’s the middle of winter.

Thanks @Allison_H and @KKC,

My guest room has casement windows with a pair within a common frame opening outwards. So it sounds like this isn’t ideal for portable A/C units.