I'm sick of writing reviews

How can a service write a review for someone if they havent even experienced that person?

1 Like

I think the review process helps everyone.

I would agree with you if hosts actually wrote honest reviews…but so many don’t. How many times do we hear advice on this forum to write in code? Saying XXXX was pleasant but might be better suited for a hotel" doesn’t really tell me anything.

It tells me that the host and XXXX didn’t hit it off too well, and for mysterious reasons the host was likely irritated by XXXX’s actions. But it doesn’t give me enough info to determine that I would absolutely not rent to this guest ever. Maybe the host was part of the issue? And then you have the guests who have great reviews, yet another host’s experience is that the guest left late, was a pig, inconsiderate, etc. I think a lot of guests start to think the rules don’t apply to them once they receive a few good reviews under their belt.

3 Likes

It depends of the host’s practice towards review. I am at peace with the fact that is not for everyone, but for some hosts that complain that it is too much work, so they either don’t do anything (although the guest was probably okay), or copy-paste (which is impersonal). That’s when automation can come to the rescue, because the human is failing anyway.

An automated service can prepare a review on the basis the host’s templates (with a bit of randomisation to make sure that the host doesn’t always send the same review), and wait for the host feedback (anywhere between 1 day to 14 days after check-out). I am a host too, so let me be clear that I want it to work 100% of the time, not just when things are okay, so there are also special options to protect the listing’s reputation in case of a bad review (received or given), and during those few days, the host can edit every aspect (comments, grades, reviews). Then after some time the review is published (or not).

It is not so much automation as it is, in fact, assistance. If the host had some feedback, they can edit, if not, everything is deemed to have happened alright and the machine can do a better work at adapting a review than a review that would not have been sent, or a review that would have just said “Great guest.”

i think it’s been like that for a while. as long as I’ve been hosting, anyway. but the question is whether HOST review percentages matter. I don’t think so but I agree that it’s easier to get reviews when you write them yourself.

‘As long as half the guests have left you a review’ seems to be the pertinent point here? I’ve known some hosts say that they don’t bother too much about getting reviews after a certain number of reviews have been received. And it’s true that when you have fifty or so you don’t really need more.

It does seem sometimes that Airbnb is collecting a lot of data for use in the future. They might not have exact plans about how to use this data as yet but it’s interesting to know from @smartbnb.io’s post that the percentage of views received is being logged.

Not everyone agrees with me (:slight_smile: ) but I suspect that getting the ‘[host] has written you a review’ message does encourage guests to write one too. So this is what makes it worth doing. If we know that Airbnb is logging the percentage of guests who leave reviews (for whatever reason - possibly down the line) then for the couple of minutes it takes to write one, it makes sense to do so surely?

1 Like

Half the guests in the current year. So let’s say loads of guests left you a review in 2015, but barely anyone bothered to review you in 2016 you couldn’t qualify for superhost status.

All my amazing reviews were a year ago and no longer count; conversely my period of crappy reviews are making my listing look worse than it really is .

My overall is currently 4.8 and yet my percentage is 68%? Haven’t looked in a while but the reason for those differences is because one only takes that years reviews into account …

2 Likes

Good to know. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry if someone else already mentioned this, I haven’t read through every reply yet. But, if it matters to you, in order to be a Super Host you have to get reviews from at least 50% of your guests. So if you’re close to or under that, you might want to write a few more to prompt guest to do so.

We’re at 64% right now according to Air, and we only initiate the writing of a review for guests who we feel almost certain will leave us 5 stars.

Although now that Air is showing how many stars each guest leaves, we’re realizing you really just never know!

1 Like

And that is 50% of the guests in the year (Jan-Dec) . All goes back to zero again from Jan 2017

2 Likes

Whenever we have excellent guests who are new to Air, I want to give them a review to help them on their way to future stays and IB. I’m sure they’re appreciative.

2 Likes

Reviews are for the future host. I believe it’s part of our job and if it’s too much work then:

• Create templates: I answer basically the same way unless they’re not great guests or they were AMAZING. Basically… they communicated well, they were clean, quiet and follow my house rules. I recommend them. That’s it.
  • Batch your reviews: Once a week or before the oldest review request is about to go away, I just sit and write a bunch of reviews.

This is the reason why you have a person who has been a guest for a while and has no review. And as a host, we wonder if they weren’t good guests.

2 Likes

Good point about the guests with old profiles and no reviews. Never thought of that

@JonYork How do you find your percentage reviewed?? Amazing. I think I know everything about the ins and outs of airbnb settings & numbers, and yet I’m still finding out new things…

It’s actually every year for each assessment period. For March 2017, for example, what will matter is if at least 50% of the guests hosted between March 2016 and March 2017 have left a review.

2 Likes

Evelyn,

Many of us who have chosen to only write a review if a guest does so first…don’t think it is too much work. My goodness…if writing a review is too much work for any host, I would hate to see what “work” means. Many guests can get their earned review, but many will not get one when they are too lazy to write one for the host.

I used to write reviews for great guests and after the third reminder from Air, some never bothered to leave me a review. It made me feel kind of bad because in text they said all kinds of nice things, and they weren’t even the least curious to know what I wrote.

Now I don’t feel bad. It’s not my job to beef up guests’ profiles. If the guest is so bad then I will warn my fellow hosts. But other than that…I don’t think it’s so helpful to encourage guests to receive glowing reviews while they do nothing in return. Really this is for Air. They want everyone on instant book and now they can make a setting that says if another host recommened then you can instant book. That’s the big picture.

Another thing…I don’t trust host reviews anyway.

6 Likes

That’s great news! Thank you! I was thinking it would be zero hahaha. We started hosting in April so it will be our first new year with Air.

1 Like

I don’t write reviews too anymore unless guests are really bad. I don’t need more reviews myself, I have 85 of them already

3 Likes

I don’t trust hosts reviews either. I have a guest now who originally booked with Air and now going on his 3rd months with me.
He had about 6 very good reviews.
The guy is incredible slob. He is very sweet but his messiness is borderline with insanity.
I train him like a puppy. He listens and became better.
But still sometimes he gets scolded :grinning:
His reviews were glorious. Not one out of 6 hosts mentioned his terrible behavior. Hi himself told me s story how he was kicked out of one Airbnb because of his messiness.

4 Likes

Yana you crack me up!!

I can see you pulling him by his shirt collar and rubbing his nose in the mess just like a puppy…haha!!

3 Likes