I'm at my breaking point... and about to sell the home and say forget it all. I commend you all for doing this business

I dont count the den as a bedroom = groups need a den as a den…that is why it is living space.
The reason you are having all these problems is exactly what I said above.
The max now in your space should be 8 guests…with a base rate for 6 and charging additional for the plus 2 who will sleep in the den.
10 is still overstuffing.
It must be awful to be the neighbor of a 3 br house allowing 10 -12 guests hauling stuff in for a 2 night stay.
Bring down your max number again and charge more. No wonder you are fully booked and also having problems. You are getting exactly what you are attracting and advertising for.

2 Likes

We got a review saying the outside was infested with bugs. Yes, indeed the outdoor areas do have bugs. Maybe this makes you feel better. The crazies are out, good people are also out there.

3 Likes

Good ideas for long term sanity. Large “unsupervised” groups is asking for trouble. With that said, I’m the matriarch of a 19 member tribe (11 little ones) and it’s tough to find accommodations for family vacations. I am open and honest when booking, following through on my promises to leave a place better than we found it. We often exceed the stated limit (babies in cribs) but I ask for special favor as a fellow Airbnb host. When I’m honest, hosts are very accommodating. I know im a rare bred, but I would respond similarly, if someone asked.

2 Likes

@Callmescout - There are places that have an occupancy limit set by the government and that limit includes infants. I do hope you inquire in a very courteous fashion about the possibility of exceeding the occupancy limit before you actually book.

I’m thinking that dropping to total allowed while also increasing extra guests over 5, up to 8, is the route to go. Hit them with $30/each and that will be almost like our regular rate with 9 extra guests.

Using PitonView’s set-up of $200 for undocumented guests up to the total of 8 and kicking out anyone else is also getting put in the books.

We are switching to either a 4 or 5 day minimum and will see how things go, possibly opening things up… what, 2 months before?.. and then seeing how everything goes from there.

You were all right, 2 nights with a higher max was begging for parties and trouble. We’ve got a guest that I think will be canceling Monday (we said we’d refund him, bc quite frankly we don’t want him and know he will be trouble), but if he stays… the wife and I decided that we are taking the earnings and will spoil ourselves on something.

Get singles and roll around in them like Uncle Scrooge, who knows.

2 Likes

I live by the golden rule and am an extremely conscientious, courteous, and mature renter, which I assumed was apparent in my response. I would hate to have a high occupancy rental, but also know there are old-fashion good rental citizens like ourselves who seem to be a rare bred anymore. Thanks for the unwarranted advice.

2 Likes

@Coho - Just so I don’t mislead you, I’ve never tried to collect on that $200. My philosophy is to scare them into admitting the extra people BEFORE they arrive. It seems to work - I frequently have people inquire before they book and ask me if they can add people later. I tell them yes - up to our maximum, at out standard extra-person rate, as long as they tell me and pay before they arrive.

1 Like

Is that because nobody has test you, as of yet? I thought I saw you mention that, which would be wonderful if that is the case. Thank you for clarifying, it is very helpful.

After I put that rule into place, no one has tested me. But we are not really a place where their friends just drop in - we are in a fly-to location (Caribbean island) and none of our guests are local.

Hi Coho, sorry I did not respond earlier.

I have certainly felt this way, including recently. We are under a horrendous amount of pressure to perform. At the same time, we are not a police force.

A couple of observations that I found helped.

When it comes to a steady diet of rough and rudes, start by taking your price up. Cheapskates automatically flip past a higher price point.

Wherever possible, try to deal face to face with arriving guests - or have a co host help you. This humanizes the host to them. Have this person spend a friendly 15 minutes walking them through and reminding them of the rules.

Day 1, arrive at the home and check the number of cars and people. Say you are dropping to see if they needed anything. If the math exceeds the quota, ask the extra visitors to leave because your insurance won’t cover them. It’s probably true. Be agreeable but firm. If they screw up the can be evicted.

Take your minimum nights up to at least a week. Vacationers are better than partiers.

Make your rules as lengthy and detailed as you need them to be, and be firm with the consequences.

The other magic ingredient is to channel your inner dominatrix. This is your property. You set the rules and terms. Muck with you, and they are out a vacation! All they can do is give you a bad review.

When you are firm and on top of your business, my experience has been that they generally stay in line, and more than one has given a positive review.

This is a business for kindness and hospitality, but it can also be a great coach for standing up for yourself. Believe me, it works.

what all are saying rings in my head as “just what I have gone through”. Yes, first tenant got that cheap deal from Airbnb - then disconnected my security cameras for a weekend - then mentioned washing machine not working - but as weekend and told I needed serial number - I had to send my contractor over to GET serial number from lid - heaven forbid guest did that - got it fixed while he finally connected security cameras. Booked for two - all beds slept in - (5 ) - he maybe slammed me in review - great Airbnb - I told you ahead of time going to be a problem. Next guest - nice - but son disconnected the NEST thermostat - oh and forgot clothes - do send them to me - and took me hour plus to figure out HOW the kid took thermostat offline. I almost think having a long term, well vetted renter might save the hair on my head. And no, I don’t live near enough to “check in” with the new entitled generation.

2 Likes

Couldn’t of put it better myself ,but in the financial position that we are in ,have to grin and bare it.We find 30 something’s the worst,definetly guests are not up to 5 star rating .We run away most weekends to keep our sanity ,then hope and pray that not too much damage is done,still can’t get over the smell of putrid nappies left in bedroom bins happens with the 30 something’s most of the time.Keep your head GET A THERAPiSTx

2 Likes

Dear Coho,
I’m so sorry you’re having these problems. I’ve been hosting for about 6 years now at two different properties and have never had these kinds of problems. Perhaps it’s your location, and the age bracket of your guests. Do you have “Instant Book” turned on? If so, try turning it off and have a long interview with your guests explaining that you have had problems in the past and have zero tolerance for rule breakers. Put it all in “House Rules” and insist nicely that they read and abide by every word. It’s no guarantee, but at least you can put it out there and see what happens.

1 Like

We’ve noticed a downturn in the quality of our guest since we’ve lowered our price for the off season and in general this past year. Still a lot of great guests too but have seen more that seem to take advantage and damage things.
Am raising price a bit and see if that helps.