I'm about to start my first AirBnB trip as a guest

It was an awesome trip with the lovely dog. We went up through the Murray-Darling via Echuca to Albury (or was it Wodonga?). Then over the mountains to sunny coastal Eden. The mountains were covered in snow which is the only the second time in my 54 yo life I have been in snow in Australia (we do have skiing here btw just in a small area). I saw brumbies drinking from a snowy stream. Then down into drought country in southern NSW. And a long day (13 hours) back home.

I stayed in 2 AirBnB places. The first was a colonial home with a front room converted to an AirBnB in Albury. Lovely host but she had some personal medical issues so was glad she took the time to talk to me. The dog did a big poop right on her carpet as we came in even though I had taken her outside for a pee first. How embarrassing. It was really smelly as well. But she was cool about it. I suspect it was because she advertises her place as suitable for dogs and mine wasn’t the first. Jade is one of those dogs who sniffs around for a place to poop.

The second place was a converted house with a guest apartment with its own bathroom and kitchenette. The bedroom opened on to a deck with a distant view of the Pacific Ocean. She had two dogs one of whom barked at mine even when they were kept apart for most of the time. I had told her I was disabled so she helped me get my shower chair I had brought. I asked her to give me some advice about the area as it is somewhere I might eventually move to which she did.

So what did I learn? Personal interaction is important. Let people know in advance about any “special needs” you have. Bring food with you.

Personally? travelling around is a challenge when you are disabled and with a dog. My last road trip was from LA -> Alberquerque -> La Jolla. Obviously without the dog.

But boy it was great to get home. I had asked a couple of women who had been previous AirBnB guests to look after my place (for free) while I was away. They were great and we stayed up until 3am talking when I came back. Interestingly enough as they had the run of the house including the upstairs bit I live in. Not surprisingly they loved the proper kitchen and fire and 270 degrees over the bay I get. They said I should rent that out and I would get $250/night rather than $125/night downstairs. I totally get it. Not sure I want to swap though.

Now I just have a disabled chicken to care for (Bandit the duck “attacked” her when I was away ie mistook her for a female duck) who I think should be dead but keeps on going.!

Anyway here is a photo of Jade on our travels. I have a matching “flannie” shirt.

10 Likes

She’s actually 13.5. She’s hanging in there!

thank you! I really appreciate your post.

1 Like

same here, and they’re all from a similar part of the world, would rather text, and seem VERY surprised when I point out the enormous intercom buzzer box.
Silly really, as I don’t always jump up immediately to check a text, but will always answer a doorbell when it rings.

2 Likes

I hear what you are saying. I was on a bit of a peripatetic adventure so knew I wouldn’t necessarily arrive when I said I would. I was covering 2000km in 4 days. On the first day I took off on a longer route via Echuca and was going to arrive an hour after I said I would. Had I known I was going to arrive at my original time I wouldn’t have bothered updating them. I am one of those annoying people who arrive on time for parties and end up cutting up crudite and sorting through the record collection. I can’t help myself, I hate arriving late, even by five minutes. It’s a curse, trust me.

But yes as some people pointed out in later comments I was exaggerating a bit.

Sounds wonderful but what are “brumbies”?? Very interesting what your house sitters said, but I can understand you not wanting to lose the view and full kitchen.

Brumbies are wild horses. They are controversial as they do a lot of damage to the environment. On the other hand when you see them standing in the snow drinking from an almost frozen stream, from the side of the road it is hard not to admire them.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your guest experience. It’s always so interesting to get perspective from “the other side”.

After the part about the unfortunate pooping :poop: incident, I imagine you’ll have many hosts saying, “that’s why I don’t want dogs in my Airbnb!!” We’ve had quite a lively thread or two recently about Airbnb delisting a host who wouldn’t accept dogs in her " No pets" listing.

Jade looks super cute in her little coat. I have an American Bulldog who loves to wear her jacket too but it’s only cold enough to wear it a few days a year where I live.

Welcome back!!

4 Likes

I tried ironing pillow cases and sheets at first but it was so hard to do and keep them clean and off the floor in the process. I ironed them on the bed but that was hard on my back. Now I am the one with wrinkly sheets! I like ironed sheets and pillow cases but I’ve got to find a better technique. Maybe I’ll get a steamer…

1 Like

Yes I had a one night guest once who drove me nuts and they were a host as well. I can’t remember the number now but it was something like 18 in a 24 hour period, all about nothing! In the private feedback I said to him if I received that many from all my one night guests I would give up hosting! It was quite funny as he messaged back that I should stop doing 1 night stays then, totally didn’t seem to understand.

1 Like

I only press the pillow cases and part of the top sheet. The 100% cotton sheets were donated because they came out too wrinkle d out of the dryer. I switche d to a cotton-poly blend and put them on as soon as I take them out of the dryer. Then I press the pillow cases. Lastly I press the part of top sheet that is folded over the qui!t.

2 Likes