I'm about to give up

Wow. It’s amazing how devious people can be. Anything but an honest days work to pay your way in life.

A couple years ago I had a Swiss guy book for quite a few days. He had just one ok review. By the 4th or 5th day I’d had it.

The minute he left for the beach I deadbolted the door, then madly ran around grabbing his junk and stuffing it in his huge suitcase and various other bags. I put it in my open garage below, then texted him.

It took forever to get Airbnb on the line. They said they’d handle it. It was well past dark when he retrieved his stuff. Scary because he seemed unstable.

He was a potential squatter, maybe. He kept asking me if he could stay in my garage or if I knew of anyone with a garage or spare room.

I think millipede has a point. She did present an article about "lodgers ". I actually didn’t know about it. Since we do pay o occupational taxes , our guests are in fact lodgers.
Unfortunately even lawyers sometimes don’t know all the laws. As ridiculous as it sounds.
I remember the case with Lizy when in court judge asked: why are we here? And dismissed the case against her about insulting a teenager.

Also about turning off electricity . The landlord is not obligated to pay the bills or any utilities if there is a financial hardship. Who can make a landlord pay the bill?
We had a sitition many years ago when we moved out of the house and the Rene at remIned there . She stopped paying and we stopped paying all utilities. In 2 weeks all was disconnected and she moved out. She called police and accused us of switching it off and we had to present note from electric compny that it was disconnected because of nonpayment .

2 Likes

Where did you receive your law degree again? I don’t believe you are even a resident of this country.

But maybe you are using “google law,” so pardon me.

“Californian” refers to a resident of the state. So you are using that word incorrectly. There is no such thing as Californian law.

Since you seem to know it all, I would like to see you try this in a court of law.

A lodger is not a tenant. We are talking about a guest who has acquired tenants’ rights because they have stayed longer than 30 days. This is not just an abstract concept, this is reality.

We are not talking about the penal code with the landlord tenant code. Unlawful detainer is a civil matter.

Why are you attempting to contradict the story I related here as not something that’s not possible, then cite a penal code. Give me a break. You really don’t know what you’re talking about at all.

3 Likes

Prices are so low because “professionals” that are operating on a large scale are starting to host.
I have seen hosts that have 2 or 3 houses that each rent out 4 single rooms individually. The host doesn’t live there, uses automated check-in and has cleaners. Since the cleaners will be at the house anyway, the host sets the minimum price slightly above what it costs to clean the room. In such a setup there is little benefit of having the room stay empty.

That’s why you see $30 rooms.

Reviews are mixed, and I couldn’t imagine staying there, but many people do. That puts pressure on the higher quality listings and it trickles down from there.

Also, there are constantly new hosts who either need money desperately short-term, and others that haven’t figured out the hidden cost and work involved. By the time they figure it out, new hosts are ready to take their place. It’s a over supply issue, similar to Uber where drivers are constantly quitting but new ones are eager to start.

I think every Airbnb place draws its own demographic and doesn’t pull away guests from other niches.

Lol! It was exhilarating for sure. And a huge relief. I was dreading him being there for several more days. He actually ended up apologizing later.

2 Likes

I lowered one of my listings a bit, but I found that the guests I got at that price were terrible. They nitpicked everything at $50 per night! When I started Airbnb 4 years ago I could charge $125 per night for the bedroom suite in my house with a shared kitchen. Now, I charge around $80-90 a night and have upgraded EVERYTHING in the room. At one point, Air suggested my price be in the $50-60 price range, so I increased the price by $10. Once I hit my target profit for the month, I block off the rest of the day. My target goal is $2,800 (the amount I make freelance writing) and if I go over that then I am tickled. I turned our long term rental apartment under the house into an Air, and it is full almost all the time. I think of Air as a sisterwife, she brings in money but comes with her own needs. But, I know my worth and I just don’t take pricing advice from the platform.
Spruce your place up, take some new pictures, do a quick audit of your listing to see if you can increase bookings that way. Also Air keeps updating their amenities section so make sure it is UTD.

1 Like

bahahahahhh. Good one! I am going to steal that!

1 Like

Our forum member who had a squatter was on the East Coast. Massachusetts, I believe.

https://www.legalshield.com/5-ways-avoid-airbnb-rental-nightmare

That may look good on paper, but it requires the police/marshall to play along. I had to evict a lodger in California, because the police would not treat him as a trespasser. They would not put him out unless I brought them a legal order to do so.

1 Like

As that article states… if the guest can prove tenancy the police cannot remove them as they would a trespasser. A guest staying over 30 days acquires tenant’s rights and you cannot just call the cops and have them removed. It becomes a civil matter where the person is entitled to due process–and if a detainer isn’t followed to the letter, it can result in fines to the owner, and a restart of the action.

Tenants have rights people.

That is why these short term platforms are NOT a good place for long term renters.

If you want to rent long term, you will need to do a credit and background check, get a deposit and have them sign a lease. In other words, not use Airbnb.

People with shady backgrounds or bad credit know they can’t qualify to rent the regular way and so often do so on the STR platforms where there are not background checks done and there are plenty of naive homeowners out there who just have dollar signs in their eyes.

What kind of demographic of the tenants usually stays with you last year?

Who are you asking?..

and why are you asking?