I'm a new listing and need help with wording of house rules

Is the bar flat against the wall?

No. That is @noramiami 's bathroom. I just mocked up (not very well) a grab rail in black to give a sense of what it might look like in the location where we installed ours.

1 Like

just say it!! Its s your home for goodness sakes woman if you donā€™t set the rules and stick to them youā€™re setting yourself up for lots of abuse. In her review say you expected 6 guests and 9 showed up and lay it all out . Its only one review and she knew better Im sure
Your home looks lovely but warning you have way too many photos looks like they might have been don by Airbnb photographer and the problem with too many photos is it makes your place look even larger than it is and you are opening yourself us for many more guests showing up than you want. My advice is show photos of the rooms with the five beds and if one is a sleeper show that to max out the number. Also consider what I do is put a hefty charge on for each one over the amount you want. If you show 100 for each person over 6 , if they abuse it since youā€™re not there at least youā€™re getting paid for it.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the correct placement for the perpendicular bar and would suffice for a shower stall; however, because there is a tub, Iā€™d recommend including the horizontal bar on the long wall. There is a tub so someone might use the tub and the other bar is useless for getting up and down from the tub. Also, the bars are typically used in conjunction with one another for people who need them to step over the tub edge safely.

2 Likes

My house rules state that the number of guests must match the booking and that the person who made the booking must be in attendance, that no unregistered guests or visitors are allowed, that left luggage, early check in and late check out options are not available.

Iā€™ve had issues with all the above. Most of my guests are great, but every once in a while you will get some who donā€™t get it. If they think my rules are too strict, then they are probably working. My fill rate for last year was 91%.

I include this in my check in information email. It has actually weeded out a couple third party bookings, one for a minor teenager with no adults included!

1 Like

On the question of offering the option for your guests to meet you: I find that the VAST majority of guests do NOT want to be met by me at check-in. Given that I almost never get a request to meet the guests, I feel safe in offering the option. I tell them as long as Iā€™m on the property (I live in a separate house), Iā€™m happy to meet them. In 2019, for example, I donā€™t believe a single guest took me up on that offer.

Same here. Iā€™m sure much of that depends on oneā€™s market. I started out with guests coming into my home (and had a fraction of the business I have now). When I put in the separate entrance I still tried to meet guests and show them a few things in the room. But after reading here and changing my approach itā€™s 100% clear to me that itā€™s neither necessary nor desirable. I think my being here on site and sticking my head out the door and greeting guests helps prevent issues. But Iā€™d advise most hosts to leave their guests alone unless the guest asks for something. Itā€™s entirely possible to be warm, friendly, helpful and keep a distance.

This is a good approach but itā€™s tough (for me) to find a happy medium. For whole homes rentals I think if itā€™s doable the host should at least briefly meet the guests at some point.

Imagine if you stayed at a hotel and met the maid that (hypothetically) would be cleaning your room, replenishing your towels, etc. I know Iā€™d leave that room extra clean and tidy along with a hefty tip!

IMO being able to put a face/name on the property, rather than an anonymous entity will go far in assuring they treat your property with respect. Itā€™s more likely to be viewed as someoneā€™s home.

1 Like

And absolutely true if you live there! I used to think it was odd to not greet guests if I was home. But since I stopped greeting everyone if Iā€™m here my ratings have been better than ever. I donā€™t think thatā€™s why, Iā€™m just saying there is no negative to it.

Iā€™m referring mostly to vacation rentals, where it IS a hosts second home that they spend time at. Itā€™s their baby and they are sharing it with AIRBNB guests. Not so much investment properties where people have several, never live there, and offer the bare bones basics.

2 Likes

Regarding showers, we have similar to these in both apartments, and our bathrooms in our apartment.

Best of both worlds.

JF

Before reviewing, I would ask her how many guests she did have. If she doesnā€™t disclose the number you think, then ask her if she had a party. I charge $100 off deposit for inaccurate info. Then charge for the additional guests if you have fee per person past what your pricing includes.

I thought I was commenting on another postā€¦