Illegal shellfish catch

Consider how it could go, if the host calls the authorities or simply puts it in the review. There is no proof. In some countries, the accuser might get into legal trouble.
Regardless, the Guest can DEFINITELY call Air and tell them the Host called the police and LIED TO THEM about illegal conch fishing and entered their stay without knocking and made accusations! If a Guest involves Trust & Safety, that can get bad for the host
Ok, so wins? Our job is hospitality. Other people have their jobs. We live on a river and donā€™t know the fishing laws. Then again, we donā€™t fish.

Come on now, I already agreed to that in this case. Yes, there is no proof in this case so nothing to be said or done about it in the reviews. Irrelevant, like you said.

I was addressing the idea that we have no responsibility when there is proof or we have no responsibility to try to dissuade it (like making guests aware of IMPORTANT things they may likely be unaware of). Other side of the coin.

Maybe @KKC is right and this isnā€™t an important law to break in NZ. Circumstances will differ. If my neighbors would be pissed at me for my guests parking illegally, even though I could care less about them getting a ticket, itā€™d be against my HRs (Iā€™d make the guest aware) just to keep peace with the neighbors.

1 Like

We probably feel the same and are essentially agreeing and entertaining others under false pretense. Shhh! They wonā€™t see it.

1 Like

So after reading all the comments, I took most advice, decided not to make a public comment & focus on how our place was treated. Instead I did comment privately & got a lovely response. Very disappointed to hear that local people took our guests out hunting for paua on private land/coastline and allowed them to take the fruits of their labours. NZ is a very small place with one rule for the entire country, . I would be very surprised if anyone who takes part in this sport in NZ would be UNAWARE of the rules. The people living on this private land do not allow the public to enter their space, and you would think, be protected from over-fishing. Yet they allow this to happen. Our guests were very apologetic and said in future they would make sure they were aware of the regulations. I have since put a measuring device in our bach and will also provide material regarding fisheries limits for everyoneā€™s benefit.

7 Likes

This was my thinking.

Of course the US is many times larger than NZ. But assholes are everywhere. Our nation has plenty of unethical hunting practices so we understand.

A rough paraphrase of Manfred von Richtofen (aka the Red Baron) via his fatherā€™s saying is that some some men are hunters and some men are butchers; thereā€™s very few true hunters any longer imo.

1 Like

Sorry, I havenā€™t been checking these messages daily. My guests were definitely kiwis, coming from an area approx 2 hoursā€™ drive from here. It is true, not all kiwis gather shellfish, but for paua, I hardly believe you would go to the trouble of acquiring gear and not educate yourself regarding regulations. Butā€¦ I canā€™t assume that. As I have mentioned in another post today - I did make a private comment to my guest and got a lovely apologetic replyā€¦and I intend educating future guests regarding limits, etc. I have also purchased a measuring device & left it in our bach.

3 Likes

Iā€™m going to copy this

Thatā€™s a really excellent, positive attitude. Rather than hosts complaining (or despairing) about the things guests get up to, approach the problem with preventative measures. Great idea. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Its sad that these local hunters/ property owners are so heartless towards nature and disregarding of laws protecting it. Everywhere are lots of idiots, selfish butcher types I guess.
Growing up in coastal California, Iā€™ve enjoyed eating abalone, but very little and all legal. The days are gone of abundant abalone; they have not returned in my lifetime from the over hunting of the mid-century. What is out there now rightfully belongs to the otters which so thankfully, are returning!!! Our house is called Casa Dos Abalones, although one of us is the rock that the abalones sticks onā€¦ ( I know it is incorrect idiom)

2 Likes

Well done on the guest interaction and the future planning!