If your guests smells how to be polite and let the person know that the smell bothers you?

that’s why you shouldn’t book for 90 days without doing a trial stay first…

she did an instant book. and I did not have my settings up ready. I was busy and neglected it. in addition to the fact that I needed money. well, eventually my thought was I can always shorten her stay through the system if we have a bad match.

the majority of my guests are Indians in the last 2 years so I know all kinds of them. There are clean ones and smelly ones. and almost no one knows how to recycle. they are people first of all.Indian or not, anyone can be smelly. It was just a detailed about the case that the person is Indian. Nothing against Indians, although it’s the fact that for some dietary, and other genetic and cultural difference people can have smell.

For future reference it doesn’t matter if a guest uses IB. As I mentioned earlier you can still ask Airbnb to cancel.

Quite honestly, I wouldn’t take this approach to managing my listing. Time invested in vetting guests, means you are more likely to have a successful match.

You will waste more time, as you have no found out and risk a bad review by trying to retrospectively manage a situation, when things go wrong.

The Indians that have been renting from me have very good jobs in IT. so, it’s not about poor Indians in India. It’s a very different class of their society. I have an Indian guy staying at my Airbnb who smelled sweat and nothing else, and would take a shower once in 2-3 days, and was a very successful IT consultant from the states…
it’s not about Indians. it’s a detail!

I never had a problem with guest in the last 5 years except for 1 case with a teenage guy whose sister booked a stay for him. but it was a completely different case. his stay was shortened by Airbnb.

I keep my prices high so these type of people do not book. In this case, the price was much lower than usual. Thank you. I understand that even with IB I can cancel if I do not feel comfortable but I wanted to give that a try and talked about her garbage issue right away.

@roxioxi it’s absolutely up to you how you manage your listing. However this current guest had red flags written all over her, from her previous review.

My point is you can’t rely on Airbnb cancelling the booking as a way of managing bad guests.

in the example you gave of a previous guest, they would have cancelled because it was a third party booking.

Anyway good luck with Airbnb and your guest. Let us know how it goes.

In India, people smell in public transport. I have not heard that it’s very common to accost each other there on the body smell since everyone smells, and the personal hygiene standards are not that high…

In another case they cancelled because the teenage guy was not following any rules and gave the key from my apartment to his friend and allowed him to live here…and brought a cat and wanted to bring another one and did not pay the pet fee.

Well you didn’t mention that in your initial post. He was clearly breaking your house rules too as well as being a third party booking :slight_smile:

you are right Helsi that relying on Airbnb cancelling is not the solution or long term strategy and I do not relying on it. I had this booking and I gave it a chance assuming that the girl is just a young person who’s learning from her mistakes.

1 Like

haha :slight_smile: there were too many issues with that 3-rd party booking. hard to mention everything. not even mentioning that the guy went to the condo management to complain about me doing Airbnb and that I took his money and kicked him out…

1 Like

Funny that you should come here and ask for advice. You’ve been hosting a long time and have extensive experience hosting Indians. Most of us do not.

If you’ve been hosting for years and didn’t have time to set up your listing with the proper settings or vet your guests I don’t have very much sympathy for you.

4 Likes

Is she washing her clothes? That could be the problem. Do you have washing machine access in your place? If so, does she know how to use it? Maybe her mom and/or domestic helpers took care of this back home.

If you don’t have a washing machine for guests, is there a laundromat nearby?

Personally if it were me I would preface this by saying that I am very sensitive to smells (I am). I would ask it as a personal favour (it is) but, would you mind…

And add to that

1. Is there anything that she feels the need to discuss, and
  2. Would she feel confident to approach me at any time if she did need to talk.
2 Likes

I wish they would stay at my place instead of the people who shower 2-3 times a day and drain my rain water tank. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not looking for any sympathy here. If you have nothing to say about ethical methods to handle this smelly long term booking you can jus pass by.

That was a low season and I was changing the prices and playing with the systems setups trying to push my listing up. There is life beyond the Airbnb listings.

I think these type of smelly people are not really aware most of the time how bad their smell is.

2 Likes

She does wash her closes. there is a dryer and a washer. although I assume she does not wash her winter jackets. I’ve noticed people from warm countries do not have fashion of winter closes and do not take proper care of them.