If you had a choice between staying at a hotel or an airbnb, which one would you pick?

I think it depends on the area and what I’m going to be doing there, but in general I like the Airbnb feel. I find it very comfortable to have the amenities of home while I’m away. It’s relaxing for me.

I can’t help it. This reminds me of the Pink Panther movie

2 Likes

OMG! That’s sooo funny!

It all depends on the reason for my travels:

Vacation by myself: Airbnb private bedroom

Vacation with family: Airbnb private apartment

Driving somewhere when I don’t know the time I’m stopping: Hotel (we tried an Airbnb and it was too stressful. Another time we had an Airbnb and ended up staying at a hotel because we will get there at 3 in the morning.)

Conference: Hotel where the conference is

Business: Hotel

1 Like

I agree. I wish they had some kind of “last minute” or “late arrival” filter or badge to make it easy to see if a town had any places. It’s fine with me if someone arrives at 3 am.

1 Like

Great idea for the filter or badge. I get so any enquiries from guests who need to check in at unearthly hours. And they really appreciate it and it’s often mentioned in reviews.

If I’m right, 24 hour check in is required to get the business ready badge too.

2 Likes

Now they have a 24-hour check in the amenities. BTW - the cleaning before checkout means for the guests to clean before checkout.

1 Like

Oh that is hopeless and naive!

2 Likes

“I would stay at a hotel if it was a shared house thing”,
My apologies as I had phrased that badly.
I meant I would stay at a hotel if the AirBnB was a shared house thing (meaning a room in a hosts house)
For me I would definitely go for the hotel. I like my privacy and would feel more independent in a hotel.

1 Like

I don’t have this. Must be one of those “test” things…

As I’m regularly traveling with my kids, I choose Air whole house every time. If it was just me on a trip, I’d consider a room in someone’s home, but I’d probably stay in a hotel if it was just my husband and I unless it was a fancy “whole house” type place.

My listing suddenly gave me an option to check box 24 hour check in. (The Airbnb gremlins are at it again.) Have you edited your listing lately?

1 Like

I just checked and I don’t have any of those options yet. What I’m wondering is: how on earth will 24 hour check in work for most people? I have guests leaving at 11am, so the earliest I can reasonably do is 3am (though I allow check in as late as the 2am). I would have to set a day in between for 24hr check in which as an on-site host would mean I wouldn’t be able to book as many guests as I would like. So while I get it as an amenity, it just wouldn’t work for me. I am like @KKC though and I offer IB and self check-in and love those last minute bookings while people are travelling. I’ve gotten 5-6 bookings over the last few months where people are driving a due to arrive in a few hours. It’s nice to be able to offer it. Some of my best reviews are from guests who arrive late and check-out without even meeting me, haha.

I have a full time day job so I’m set up not to allow same day departures and arrivals, and I have self-checkin via keypad, therefore the 24 hour thing works for me. Airbnb bug allowed a person to book a one-nighter same day as other departing and arriving guests last months. Boy was I mad. Had to take vacation time from work to change bedding and scrub bathroom. Grrrrr.

1 Like

They’ve had that awhile but until they put it in the filters so I can use it as a guest it’s no help to me. Also I think someone might have 24 hours check in but no booking after say 8 pm. So when I pull into town at 8:45 pm I see nothing on the Airbnb app. Just as they tell you to look for instant book when your arrival is the next day I’d like to opt into some kind of late night arrival/same day option.

1 Like

Every day. But I am maybe unusual in that I work from home and it’s mostly computer work so editing the listing is part of my daily routine. To update the listing only takes a few seconds - worthwhile :slight_smile:

Almost every day! There is a reason that I stay at the number 1 spot in my market.

1 Like

So I went to see if I needed to update my listing and I found this under “Booking,” below the house rules. What the heck is Amenity limitations?

1 Like

In thinking about it to answer this question I went to look at my listing and I don’t see it listed for me and now I’m confused. Obviously it can only work if the room is available so I guess I don’t have 24 hour I only have late check in.

1 Like

I read “24 hour” as meaning there are no restrictions on check-in time other than the requirements of turnover between guests. Hotels have 24-hour check-in because they are available for check-in around the clock, even though you are still limited to their availability if you arrive early - but it’s fine to show up at 5 AM in the morning.

I rented a place with 24-hour check in (actually, self check-in) for our trip this summer - we are taking a train from Italy to Germany and I have not decided whether we will take the afternoon train (arriving at 11 pm) or the night train (arriving at 5 AM) - so I needed arrival flexibility.

1 Like