Idiot guest brought my rating way down

I don’t agree. I think a very succinct yet upbeat response would be quite appropriate. I’ve done this only once, maybe twice, for guests who wrote the most ridiculous stuff. It felt great doing it and it hasn’t hurt my Super Ho rating or bookings.

3 Likes

No. the lever taps you’re explaining are not standard in the UK; I’m not even sure what they might look like.

We have two individual taps and we use a colour at the top of the tap to indicate hot and cold. H and C would also be an option so as long as these were on the taps I can’t see reason for complaint.

Here in London we have lever taps in our two showers, both bathroom sinks and the kitchen sink! They are very common in the UK, though they are more widely known as mixer taps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha thanks for the explanation. you do not have the usually setup then ! Brits are normally laughed at for their shunning of mixer taps especially in bathrooms where, theoretically, this is where you need them most :wink: the hop from the hot to the cold back to the hot so you don’t scald your face is a British rite of passage.

1 Like

As is clogging up your delicate loos!

1 Like

Oh, I’m so blessed never to have dealt with this but yes it’s a very well known issue😅

What’s funny about is that is that I have stayed at the Ritz and it’s really not that great unless you have enough money to pay for a seriously upgraded room lol.

@Fraggles.

I only mentioned they were British because of the hot and cold thing. That’s the only way in which it is germane to the point. Other than that their nationality doesn’t matter at all. And I am definitely aware that not all Brits are like that. Not all humans are like that LOL you know what I mean

What they said on the public feedback was “great value for the price” lol wtf? Is that some kind of dry humor thing? Still better than “she lied about the bed size and the it turned out to be fall rather than summer, that lying b*tch”, lol I suppose.

1 Like

???

So you’re getting bent out of shape over private feedback ?!?!

The public bit (good value for money) is fine. It’s not dry humour it’s s bald statement.

Why do I feel I’ve been led up the garden path with this whole thread ?

1 Like

The one time I got a seriously bad review it sounds like it was similar to yours. The public written review actually sounded positive, but the guest gave me lots of private feedback, a 3 for overall, and a combination of 3’s and 4’s on every catagory. I was a new host, it was my third review (following 2 completely 5 star reviews) and I was very upset and dismayed. I did contact the guest through an Airbnb message. She replied that she thought she gave me a basically good review and that overall she liked my place and she and her husband would definitely come back! It didn’t help my poor trashed stars, but I did feel a little better.

Bizarre. But not surprising when 5 stars is seen as ‘fantastic’ and 3 is ‘ok’. Still I wouldn’t return anywhere I rated as ok…

Hi I mean some times terms or words got lost in translation so to speak even though we both talk English there are variations between our English and American English rather than it being because they are Brits. I met an American friend yesterday and she said “are you having Chips” I replied yes and she said do you mean “cold chips (our crisps) or french fries”.

I just had a guest ask if I could promise a soundproof room. WTH?
Not even the Mauna Lani Bungalows or the 4 Seasons can promise that.
I hope she books a place that doesn’t disclose the frogs. At least we don’t have frogs here.

As a result of your post I looked up the hot and cold thing. I learned that it is common for the cold to be on the right because when indoor plumbing was developed there was only cold and most people are right handed. I also learned that in the U.S. it is in the building code that cold be on the right and hot on the left so it is more commonly done that way here.

2 Likes

Well I think the term bent out of shape is a little bit inappropriate just because yes that is what they said on the public feedback but then they totally screwed up my star rating. I’m now at a 4.7 while other properties in my region are 4.9. Previously I was a 4.9 as well.

There is a part of me that wants them to understand how inappropriate their reading was and that they were mistaken. I also feel that the term mislead is one that impugns my level of honesty. In other words my interpretation of that is that they are saying that I was dishonest in some way. That what I promised was different than what I knew I could deliver. And that is what is upsetting to me because I feel like Air B&B is seeing this too and it makes me look bad. While this may or may not be true I still have a feeling that I should clarify these issues.

So in the end I did decide to give them a little feedback. I was entirely appropriate and polite as always. I also thank them for their feedback because all the feedback I get whether the guest is mistaken or not is valuable and does inform how I will continue to do my business… there is a lesson to be learned from All Guest feedback in my opinion.

For example, their feedback, though erroneous, informed my future procedures.