I think I have a great situation? Newbie needs help

Basically they want to have the same system as booking.com and others…
Less and less different

That one I am not on. Ah, the Airligarchy forever wants more more and more on the backs of the folks they refuse to define as employees. I may very well see the day where I stop sharing my beloved home.

1 Like

Notice it says “select” new hosts, not all. I guess they’ll see if they force it on people if they still get hosts. I’m not surprised I’d already posted in one of those hater threads about Asians or Africans, etc. It might also be a strategy to limit the number of people wanting to use it as a platform for their rental portfolio. They have a brand concept they are trying to promote and I’m sure they don’t really care if one or another host uses it or not. IB works fine for me and I think gives me an advantage so I’m not thrilled about them forcing it on people. Now new hosts will offer it AND undercut me on price.

1 Like

Really?? So if I signed up now I would have no choice but to have IB?? I think this will cut out the hosts who want to air their spare room out - which I’m assuming is still the bulk of airs income.

1 Like

SELECT new hosts. Whatever that means. Anyway, lots of hosts that rent out their spare room have IB.

Not near where I live - there are all of four IB places out of 60-70 odd.

1 Like

In our city only 3 IBB on 72 listing

2 Likes

Your home is absolutely exceptional. What I would suggest, and may implement myself, is to consider going commando if you will. If the ABB platform truly becomes something you don’t agree with. Consider leaving a nice note for your guests letting them know that you would love to recommended to their friends. I really wish we had access to guests home addresses, and I could have sworn at one point we hosts did, in order to send a card once a year or so, to again thank them for staying, and remind them that they or their friends could reach out directly for any future rental.

1 Like

Lots of hosts make business cards with a photo of their listing and all their contact info. When I was a guest at my first AirBNB, the host gave me one as I left and my sister booked with them directly afterwards. I currently book around 25 nights/year independently with returning guests (5 different sets of guests) and I’m hoping that number grows as I do my second year of hosting. Guests are always very responsive to hear that I’ll book directly as it’s a substantial savings for them.

1 Like

I have a friend who hosts a separate apt in a three storey home in the Marigny of NOLA who absolutely does not use IB and will be damn determined not to. Too many iffy folks coming to New Orleans for all kinds of reasons. I’m using IB now that I have more control over who it is who can use it. That was a welcome change as far as I was concerned and one I had asked for for years. I now have a similar thing turned on on HomeAway although there is still a final approval left up to me.

1 Like

I am looking up those settings now and I’ll have to make sure to double check I cover everything in the house rules I make.

Thanks for such an array of responses, it is definitely something to consider seriously and you’ve all made excellent points.

This is where I read about it.

Kirsty Jane,

I don’t understand why you believe that a requirement that new hosts utilize Instant Book will cut out hosts who rent their spare room. I rent my spare room and I utilize Instant Book.

Because it was mentioned by another host that if a new host signs up now they dont have choice - can’t remember who @KKC ?

I understand that there is scuttlebutt that new hosts are being required to use Instant Book. What I don’t understand is why you think that hosts who rent a room in their house won’t be willing to use Instant Book.

Well I’m one of them and I’d rather have the chance to vet guests first. We all have different hosting situations I don’t like how they’ve forced this on new hosts.

I rent out a spare room in my home also, and I’ve never used Instant Book. Like @Kirsty_Jane, I prefer to screen my guests before welcoming them into my home. If I was being forced to accept guests via IB, I probably would not use ABB.

1 Like

@Kirsty_Jane @superhostnyc mentioned it first but her link to where she found it doesn’t work. Then @Gail_Dedrick posted what she found on another forum and I reposted it. But, I repeat, it says SELECT new hosts and I have no idea how they select the new hosts. It’s undoubtedly a trial program. If enough hosts sign up with it they will probably force it on everyone by moving you down in search if you don’t use it. People who won’t use it will move off the platform and ABB will go on their merry way. They don’t care if they get the booking from you or another host. I added a separate entrance and an ensuite bathroom and put a lock on the door into the house and turned on IB. I like it and have had no problems at all but I’m not hosting tourists. If they force IB on us I suggest everyone re-consider, maybe you can change your set up to facilitate it and then we use the review system to get rid of guests who abuse it so no one will have to fear IB.

Since I rent my whole home - and it is my home, not a property I bought just for STR - it worries me, but hey, I have IB on now and with the controls they have added I have NOT had a problem. I am grateful ABB listened to host concerns.

2 Likes