I seem to be having a bad run!

I agree. Are you going to be more specific about why they should be avoided?

This is sadly much too easy and too common.

I have learned to follow @KenH approach to reviews. Simple, NonEmotional, Factual.

Joe-Friday

1 Like

Itā€™s true! Bad guests come in runs. And this one is beyond the pale. In the same breath, do hotels use black lights and lint rollers?

ā€œBeyond the pale or noā€, @Poppy your cute attempt at sarcastic humor will NOT go over well.

Cannot recommend Guest, ever. Guest used a blacklight and a magnifying glass in an attempt to prove my listing is dirty so he could get a full refund! Poor communications as well.

9 Likes

We are not hotelsā€¦I thought that was the point.

For myself, I try (not sucessfully but itā€™s a nice thought) to treat others the way I want to be treated. I donā€™t want to pull the sheet up to my face and see someone elseā€™s hair tickling the tip of my nose. I donā€™t want lift the toilet seat and see dried yellow spots of another personā€™s urine on the underside of the seat. I have a high, high tolerance for dirt, hair and germs but the room is for my guests, all of them, not for me.

1 Like

And to repeat, itā€™s becoming a pet peeve of mine that hosts are quick to use the example of hotels when it suits them but reject it when it doesnā€™t. So if a hotel doesnā€™t offer free check in before 2pm and a hotel doesnā€™t wash the bedspread itā€™s fine for us to do it as well. If a hotel offers as many towels as you want and daily cleaning at no extra feeā€¦ā€œwe arenā€™t hotels.ā€

5 Likes

I think lint rollers and black lights are in different categories. Finding a hair on the sheets or spots of urine on a toilet is so different than a guest bringing a black light and doing a CSI-level inspection of a space. I donā€™t think that should be the standard expected for hotels OR STRs.

8 Likes

I donā€™t know if you are replying to me but if so, we have a misunderstanding here.

The difference lies not in lint rollers and black lights being in different categories, itā€™s who is using the black light and lint rollers are in different categories. As a host over over 500 people I have 99% cleanliness ratings. My last 4 star for cleanliness was 48 reviews ago from a woman who found some ants in the room. She also kindly located and pointed out their point of entrance and gave 5 stars overall. Iā€™m not going back to check but I think thatā€™s the only 4 star for the last 350 reviews or so. Iā€™m not just bragging, Iā€™m pointing out that doing things like using black lights and lint rollers payoff. Itā€™s absolutely fine to not use them as long as you are content with your ratings. There are hosts here who think washing the quilt or comforter once or twice a year whether it needs it or not is the gold standard.

OTOH if a guest came in with bright lights and hazmat suits Iā€™d be furious and I would write a review exactly like Ken did. Poppy is correct no one wants to host these folks.

3 Likes

I asked if hotels use black lights and lint rollers. I did not compare Airbnb to a hotel.

2 Likes

Lint rollers no as the linen is washed commercially.
Black light yes, usually by the head house keeper when a spot check is done on random rooms - very quick way to see what has been missed.
There is a roster for the rooms to be done thoroughly, floor by floor including carpet cleaning.
( grew up in the hotel industry)

5 Likes

Apparently some do use blacklights and I donā€™t see why they wouldnā€™t have sticky rollers available.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/best-western-hotel-cleaning/index.html

Iā€™m not sure. If I say: went over my pace with a fine tooth comb until she found an eyelash in the bed, Iā€™m implying that my standards are sloppy. I am really open to suggestions, so if everyone could chime in I would be grateful.

1 Like

Did you see what Ken wrote above? It names and shames them and makes them look like scammers.

1 Like

Yes I did see it, and have copied and saved it. I was just interested in other peopleā€™s suggestions as well.

1 Like
  1. Many of us have noted some of the additional things we might add to our cleaning regime or tasks to give to your cleaning crew.

2. I have stated that considering the guest, you did your best to promptly reconcile the situation, proving that this guest was unreasonable. I donā€™t think anyone on this board believes that they are entitled to a refund.

3. Ken has written a concise non-debatable review for you to use.

Case Closed. (that is until you get and share the review from the guest)

About the black light.

I got one a few summers ago to hunt for scorpions.

When i used it in my clean home, (my husband makes fun of me how anal i am about cleanliness, calls me Miss OCD), let me tell you, it was a HUMBLING experience. Clear water droplets, cleaning solution over spray, micro dust particles, everything, i mean everything shows up with it. Only my freshly painted wall room looked ok, but also, not perfect. There is just no way a person can clean and keep their sanity between guest, that will pass a black light test, unless they paint the whole room again and again between guests.
I swear to you, that the most clean, 5 star hotel would not pass a UV black light test. I know now!!!
If you are a guest, or host that plans to scrutinize a hotel room , or someone home with a black light, please do yourself and everyone a favor and use it first on your own home, then clean, and use it again, i promise you the result will be humbling.

8 Likes

That has not been my experience. In the thread I posted above I posted a picture of the wall next to the toilet before and after cleaning. There was a difference and I didnā€™t repaint. I board dogs in my home and there is a difference between dog urine and other liquids. It is true that some things also show upā€¦white lint for example. I do agree the result is humbling. Itā€™s also humbling to put on your glasses and a headlamp and look at your freshly laundered sheets.

2 Likes

Hi, Poppy. I am new at this, and I thought I had the high points, that is kitchen and bathroom spotless. Or as near enough is nevermind, and still did some bending over backwards to make these people happy. However I got a mediocre cleanliness report and I canā€™t remember anything bothering me that much recently. So write it up to Princess Factor and be happy
Jh

I will, if Airbnb doesnā€™t decide they are entitled to some refund. Ay thereā€™s the rubā€¦When do we know the case is closed? I have had two cases recently where Air have phoned me and we have had a discussion. In both cases I pleaded my case but CS didnā€™t confirm their thoughts/decisions.

So far neither guest have been given a refund that I know of, but I also havenā€™t had any resolution or communication since the phone calls. Some kind of ā€œresolution completedā€ email would be helpful. To me both cases are still hanging in the airā€¦

If a guest behaved as described, I would tell them to show me documentation that they do the exact same thing every time they check into a hotel. Otherwise, suck it up, Buttercup. If being an Airbnb host requires me to be a forensic technician with a bloody black light, itā€™s not even worth it.

2 Likes