I love my guests!

I always want to sit and chit chat with my guests but I worry that they’re tired and they want to get to their room and relax. So I don’t want to you take up their time if they don’t want that but I can’t really tell if they do or not LOL.

I get to talk to them because its a 30 minute boat ride to my place, so presents opportunity to get to know something about them. Then 10 minutes at the place and ‘poof’, I don’t see them till pick up. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That sounds pretty cool.

Three topics occupies the time: (1) weather, (2) where they live and (3) how is life treating them nowadays. All about them, nothing about me. We arrive, give quick instructions and ‘Hasta La Vista’.

1 Like

We host in two rooms in our house. We often get to know our guests pretty well, and we’ve made friends this way. The most common statement in their reviews is that we made them feel at home. In just under one month, we’ll be traveling overseas to attend the wedding of a dear former guest of ours!

1 Like

That’s so cool! How long do your guests stay? What size are the groups? I host in my home, too, and have become quite fond of many of them, but with the groups being more than three, and changing so frequently, I can’t keep up the ties. The first year, I’d say, we got much chummier with our guests. Now, after more than 100 groups, we are friendly and interested, but not usually ‘friends’. Besides, I’ve got three kids with heavy school and activity schedules - not a lot of time to enjoy relaxing with guests.

Valid point, Emily.
You made my day. :grin:

1 Like

Typically, they come in ones and twos. Many who come here are moving here from elsewhere and looking for work or just starting a new job. Since we offer breakfast, and we sit and eat with them, we get to know some of our guests pretty well. Our guests stay anywhere from one night to two weeks. The guest whose wedding we’re going to was with us on and off for the better part of a month.

Also, this is still our first year. We only started in July, so I have no idea what it will look like and feel like further down the road! :slight_smile:

That’s really cool. Our average group size is 3.5 The larger the group, of course, the less interested they are in getting to know us - in general. Not always. They stay an average of 3 nights but are often just here to sleep. Sometimes, especially if they have kids, my kids and theirs will play games together, etc. Those are my favorite times. I’m a fairly private, introverted person, though, so in general don’t pursue to much, but always enjoy engaging when it works. Have fun at the wedding! What a blast!

2 Likes