I got robbed by airbnb guests

I really hope you’re wrong. I honestly thought that ALL hosts had STR insurance.

We should do a poll…

Not sure how to though🤷‍♂️

My guess is less than half of host have proper insurance. Too much reliance on the Air promises. I just renewed my policy and before I did I shopped around and my farmers agent tried to justify lesser liability coverage because AirBnb and VRBO provide a million dollar policy…

I stayed with my policy with higher limits

Seriously though, someone do a poll…

RR

Delivered by carrier pigeon

1 Like

That astonishes me. For most people, the most valuable thing they own or will ever own is their home and/or their property. And they just let strangers stay there without insurance? That’s unbelievable, really.

I think that if you asked those people if they’d let a stranger borrow their car for a couple of hours, they’d be horrified and say that of course they wouldn’t. But they let random strangers into their property without taking the simple precaution of getting insurance. Bizarre really.

1 Like

Truth is stranger than fiction. My guess is that it is probably more than 2/3 that don’t.

You can build a poll by going into the option button on the tool bar (last icon that appears in a tool bar above a message when you write it) and click on the ‘build poll’ tool bar. @RiverRock

I believe Airbnb will provide ID to the police but obviously not to the host directly.

I am afraid you are right and that many hosts chose not to take out commercial home insurance to cover their Airbnb business, which seems incredibly short sighted to me. As @jaquo says why would you do that with what is probably your biggest asset.

Even Airbnb say on their website that their ‘guarantee’ is no substitute for STR home insurance

### Host Guarantee and Host Protection Insurance

[Airbnb’s Host Guarantee](
(https://www.airbnb.co.uk/host-protection-insurance) provide you with basic coverage for listed damages and liabilities. However, these don’t take the place of homeowners insurance, renters insurance, or adequate liability coverage. You might need to meet other insurance requirements as well.

### Liability and basic coverage

Review your homeowners or renters policy with your insurance agent or carrier to make sure your listing has adequate liability coverage and property protection and that your existing policy does not restrict hosting on Airbnb.

I hate to be annoying, but I just bought it up. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sad story. Just to say I am always there when guests check in and out but its easier for me as I presently only host on Friday and Saturday nights. I do take my laptop, phone and wallet to bed with me (I have a large bag I carry upstairs to my bedroom). Check-out is 10am and as I offer breakfast I am always there. I do not accept people who don’t have Government ID.

I am one of those who doesn’t have special STR insurance.

So does your regular home insurance work to cover guests? I imagine you have some sort of insurance for the dog business.

No.

Yes.

We should start an insurance thread.

1 Like

We should start an insurance COMPANY.

2 Likes

Hi Carol

So sorry to hear you’ve had such a bad experience. As someone else stated, it would be worth offering a crime reference number to Airbnb (if you have one)? It’s certainly worth contacting them again to reiterate the case is still under investigation and you therefore cannot supply the report as of yet (just to make sure they fully understand the situation). As previously mentioned social media also tends to attract attention if you feel the need to state your point!

Hopefully you have comprehensive insurance in place to cover situations such as this, and have already been in touch with your insurance company to set the ball rolling?

I’m sure I don’t need to say this (due to recent events), but security needs to be your top priority when renting out property - especially in a shared space. It’s always wise to screen guests whenever possible, and check their profile carefully (including past reviews).

Unfortunately you will come across a bad egg or two, but fingers crossed something like this won’t happen again!

1. Claim on your home insurance for STR
    [/quote]

I am very sorry for my late reply.
I do have my initial report with the crime number, but that is not enough for Airbnb, I have talked to the police many times, I went to their office and email them as well, but they just say that they need their time and it is not ready yet.
I do not know what else I can do.
Thanks

Hi @cabinhost
I actually never though about it, the guy had his picture on the profile, bus as I never asked for the ID probably he could be using another person’s account, this makes sense!

Today, atfter all the evidence and police report, Airbnb has told me that they won’t pay anything as they consider my case doesn’t have enough documentation to proof anything.

Well, now I have to go against them and show that my case was real and they doesn’t cover and do anything they promise on the website.

Hope it works.

Thabks for all the help, hope you hear about me on the social media and news papers. :slight_smile:

Since you are in the EU, you can also appeal this decision and in fact sue them.

How can I appeal this decision??
Thanks for your answer