I did it - I DIDN"T answer the questions

Yes, I try to keep in mind what hospitality really means. Remember in the old days the saying was “The customer is always right”. In a restaurant where I worked we had a huge poster that said “The Customer is KING!”. It gets tricky when they are in our personal space, when they flood the bathroom floor, when they crank the heater in their room…

Thanks again for pointing out the confusion and helping me stay on track! I really do love my guests and want to keep it that way - to let the bad roll on off my back and appreciate the good.

1 Like

Any time:). But again it’s my opinion and how I want to conduct myself. There is a time when I am being assertive when it comes to my rules. Being timid is not helping anyone. Good communication always works one way or another. In a situation like you described first comes to mind, am I punishing the innocent:)? Uncertainty always scary at some level . May be that’s why all the questions. Airbnb is still new for many, people don’t know what they are getting themselves into .
I am about to book a trip to Central America for a week break. I am going by myself, just to live in a jungle for a week and do some heavy outdoors. I am well traveled but every time I go, it’s unknown and a bit scary.
I already exchanged 14 emails with the owner of the lodge. Hope she doesn’t think that I am annoying as hell but even if does, o well

1 Like

Oh, the same - but maybe Europeans or Asians might not know. I used to be a technical writer, so clarity is king. If there are no real constraints on how much you can write, just spell it out. This is reminiscent of the BnB debate - BnB is a really bad term for a service that typically does not provide breakfast, and I was irritated by the number of hosts who refused to acknowledge that simple fact and wanted to blame guests for not reading their listings carefully enough. Incidentally, it sounds like our set-up is identical to yours: one bedroom plus one sitting room, both essentially private (on a separate floor), but no locked door, and a shared toilet on a separate floor. If I was a bit snippy this morning, sorry, I’d just heard that Bowie died and was feeling down. A week after Lemmy died, plus a childhood friend. All three with the cancer. My generation is in the express checkout line…

2 Likes

Mo, is has come up before on this forum–bnb used to mean bed and bath…not bed and breakfast.

In the UK B&B has always meant Bed and Breakfast

1 Like

It was a Brit who told me this…it’s historical, not recent.

Interesting I wasn’t aware, I’ll have to do some research into that, did the Brit say how far back the term was coined or when the definition changed?

well I guess I missed out and didn’t get to read the original post. Sounds like it would have been funny.

Customer is maybe king at McDonald’s but not in a vacation rental/apartment, etc. McDonald’s has unlimited hamburgers but we have only one night to sell. So we need to sell it to the “right” customer who will treat the place with respect.

Don’t feel bad if you were cranky…prob. traveler deserved whatever response

What is better: no questions, but assumptions that all amenities can be used, or many questions and then play by house rules?

It’s never been an issue for us so far, but it seems pretty clear that if you want Air to go to bat for you, you have a much stronger case if your house rules are clearly spelled out ahead of time.

I think the reason many of us thought it was ridiculous for Airbnb.com to be assumed to provide breakfast is because one would have to assume the “Air” part means something too. What do people assume the “air” part means? - Airline tickets are included??

And how do people think I am going to deliver their breakfast if I am renting out a separate space? The argument makes no sense to me.

It’s not just the “bnb” part about breakfast but also the rest of what usually goes along with a bnb. I couldn’t imagine renting someone out my private cabin and complaining that they thought they would be sharing the cabin with other guests. After all, doesn’t an traditional BnB usually have an onsite owner with other guests all eating breakfast together? Imagine if they got upset because I didn’t spend the night with them.

1 Like

Oh, Mo, sorry for the loss of your friend! Yes, first our music becomes ‘Oldie’ and then the musicians themselves are gone.

no worries about the snippiness. I hope you get some sunshine in your week -

I was just expressing the frustration we all share at having to answer the same questions over and over when the info is upfront in our listing. I actually told a guest to go back and read the listing and then let me know if she was still interested… They are group if 5 with a toddler from India, for a week. I think just imagining the cooking and COLOGNE smells put me off.

I did apologize to her. We’ll see…still sounds like a long week but as I always say, you just don’t know until after check-in.

Thanks, DC. We were in the same grade at the same school. She grew up maybe two hundred yards - at most - from me. My mom was her Girl Guide leader, and my mom is still alive. Too many people are dying too quickly… it gets you down.

Post must be 20 characters…poor “offended” souls.

I see the post disappeared now. I wonder why no one flagged the post recently made when someone said “chew me down on price” - it’s the same meaning folks! And it is not racist. But I won’t post further on subject to detract from DC’s thread.

1 Like

Yes, it really does.

In my limited, and perhaps ignorant, experience, YES. And I’ve heard this from other people too. Lots and lots of cologne. I was once swimming laps and the guy in the lane next to me had so much cologne I could TASTE IT IN THE WATER! Yikes!

Anyone have another opinion about this?

1 Like

Any chance you can take the argument about that phrase onto another thread? I say that respectfully. I know these things can go on for quite some time and I wish you luck with it.

which post post was flagged?