How would other hosts handle this - bathroom backup issue

Did he enter a second bathroom that he did not have permission to use

It was not in the rules that this bathroom was off limits. It was not attached to any bedroom. It was a bathroom off the kitchen.
She evicted using one of her house rules and stating he made her feel afraid. The rule stated; " I have the right for the security of other guests and myself to have you leave if you are a nuisance or threat to any guests or myself."
She was hostile with him but used this rule to get rid of him. He had to leave 2 days early and is thinking about asking Air for those 2 days refunded.
Also, she SAID she had a plumber yet she went online and constructed a receipt with no info about the place that was hired. No name, address, etc. Totally not verifiable.

This snippet implies there is a whole lot more to the story than a blocked toilet, to me. Are you sure your guest is telling you the full story?

1 Like

Itā€™s the American Standard Champion 4 (Home Depot), about $200.

1 Like

Well, your fears came true. You are a fat-shaming bully and I deleted your post.

2 Likes

Seriously?? Iā€™ve got to say this place is getting a bit authoritarian these days and not in a good way. So many threads deleted on a whim, it seems to me.

@Robert_Dudley reminded me of Big Innes and I was going to share this with him:

I expect it will offend someone so enjoy it while you can, everyone else, before itā€™s assigned to the We Donā€™t Like It bin.

2 Likes

Yes, seriously. Iā€™m all for a vigorous discussion. Iā€™m all for a little fun. And Iā€™m as sarcastic as they come. But the deleted post wasnā€™t in fun nor did it add to the discussion. I could delete the post now or I could let it devolve into to something that would get the whole thread deleted. May I direct you to the sections of the FAQ on being civil and adding to the discussion.

http://airhostsforum.com/faq

4 Likes

Fair enough. People often post stuff that is neither fun nor adds to the discussion, though. I sent a private message.

I am very happy that a moderator has taken a stand against fat shaming. It is not just that it isnā€™t fun and/or adds nothing to the discussion. Fat shaming is bigotry and like any bigotry should be given no sanction.

1 Like

True and that is one thing that can either be maddening or charming about the forum. However, add insulting people to the post and itā€™s going to get deleted.

1 Like

Getting back on topicā€¦ Iā€™m a plumber, and all toilets have a 2" a trap and exit. Most household plumbing is 3", a 50% increase. If the waste makes it thru the toilet, it will never block the pipe itā€™s attached to. Iā€™ve had toilets blocked by an orange, toilet paper roll, frozen apple juice can lid, and even a uterus support.
A toilet plunger should be the newer style plastic-accordion style, $10 anywhere hardware is sold. Closing the water supply wonā€™t necessarily stop the overflow as the tank flapper letā€™s water exit the storage reservoir/tank, and the only effective way to stop the water is to lift the tank lid and push the flapper down, and lifting the float at the same time. Obviously a handful, and then one could close the water valve, if in fact the handle will even turn!

Why do toilets block? Poor design. I own dozens of apartments, and only use Kohler toilets. Iā€™ve installed many in the last 20 years. The newest ultral lo-flow use 1.2 gallons-4.8 liters per flush, but they use a thin rubber seal that on a recent inspection, the seal had twisted and allowed the water to run, and my city charges for every drop used. A lower flow toilet that wastes waterā€¦

I am only going by what I am told. I was not there

Bigotry isnā€™t funny.

I donā€™t think weight has anything to do with it. My thinner son is always the one who clogs the toilet around here although now that I have new poopers throughout the house they donā€™t get clogged nearly as much. Three extra pounds does not exactly make one obese.

I think we can all agree that the forum discussions need to ā€œmoveā€ (pardon the pun) in a positive direction. If discussions begin to devolve or get insulting, the mod is right to delete the offensive post or just lock the thread.

2 Likes

Yes. Itā€™s visible to mods.

1 Like

Iā€™m still learning from yā€™all and appreciate the attempts to keep things clean (oops). I did however love this irony:

Please read this with the humor thatā€™s intended. Itā€™s hard on a forum because you canā€™t send voice inflections or facial expressions. :woman_shrugging:

You canā€™t see the post that was deleted. In it Zandra asked what being ā€œlarger in statureā€ had to do with using more paper. (clearly nothing but this was exactly the opening that was being sought.) Dudley then wrote two paragraphs in which he tried to pass off his disdain for obese people as some sort of humor. Included was this sentence ā€œYou know meā€¦ Iā€™m always politically incorrect. I didnā€™t want to call them fat people, for fear of being called out as some kind of a fat shaming bully.ā€

2 Likes

Please let us know the out come - Iā€™m interested to hear what Airbnb say and do.

1 Like

Probably someone who doesnā€™t want to engage in yet another senseless argument with youā€¦ seems reasonable

2 Likes

Have you read the TOS and the FAQ? Please stop trolling the thread. Itā€™s a moderated forum. If youā€™d like a free for all there are plenty of places in the interweb to participate in one.

4 Likes

Here is what Air ended up doing, quoted from the guests text to me, ā€œHostā€™s $170 claim against me for damages
was denied because it had no validity.
The host filed a frivolous complaint with
a presumably fraudulent invoice, then caved.ā€

3 Likes