How to stay competitive

The apartments downstairs are “sparkling clean” but our apartment is what my grandmother would have tersely called “squalor”. Ditto on the dog hair.

If a guest checks out early, I like to go take a shower in the apartment because it’s nice and clean, even after a guest.

8 Likes

Always check them! I have found used underwear… and a very life like “pink” thing with straps…no one asked me to send that back!

4 Likes

… serves me right for browsing while eating.

LOL…I am so glad to hear that my personal home is like many others… the last thing I want to do is clean when I get home from changing numerous beds and so many toilets and showers… let’s not even go to the amount of personal laundry I have to get done yet this week.

4 Likes

Nothing as of now. I’m deciding whether or not it will be worth the investment to do more than what is expected, such as toiletries and other obvious necessary items. Considering in investing in local goodies to put out to welcome guests- products that are unique to the area.

Beyond what is expected, I’m wondering more if it is worth the investment to put out special higher end products for guests to use beyond the basic dollar store toilet paper etc. Would this be more expected of the high end rental and those for a normal rental wouldn’t pay too much attention to it? The problem is the market is competitive and there are so many of the same kinds of rentals offering the same amenities. I considered getting in touch with local businesses to either offer their products or services to my guest- just to kind of go the extra mile and set myself apart.

Good advice, thanks.

Great advice, thanks.

This is really great advice.

What do guests most often ask you when you greet them to check in? Have they mentioned it in their reviews as part of a positive experience?

That’s going to be entirely dependent on your market IMO. I’ve studied mine and discovered that even offering bodywash and shampoo sets me ahead of most comparable whole-house listings. There are even a few that don’t even provide the bed linens. So, since I’m among a rare few supplying it, they will get the dollar store bodywash that I use for myself and the bargain shampoos. (I don’t use bargain shampoos. I’m not providing $20 bottles of shampoo for my guests that I use on my own hair.)

If you’re competing in a more upscale market, your guests might be offended to find bottles of Suave in the shower.

1 Like

I’ve invested in nice wall-mounted dispensers…filled with inexpensive shampoo/conditioner/body wash. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes me too on this. It amazes me on how the guests love the personalised thank you card. Something so simple speaks volumes as to guest satisfaction.

Our guests always mention the personal treatment and special touches in actual reviews and notes.

“Your guests love the extra care you put in”-- Since January 2019, out of 43 guests some filled these comments out in the review icon “compliments” section.
34-Outstanding hospitality
31-Stylish space
30-Thoughtful touches
29-Sparkling clean
26-Quick responses
24-Amazing amenities
20-Local tips

Cheap, but ooak custom dispensers with custom labels, Aveeno brand contents, the chain loops around the area where tube comes out of wall.

2 Likes

So glad I’m not the only one! I host in my own home, with guests sharing common areas with me. My foyer, den, dining room, living room, kitchen, breakfast nook and laundry room are spotlessly clean, and model home picture perfect.

4th bedroom/office, master bedroom, basement and garage doors are locked to keep snoopers out. But it’s less that I’m worried they’re going to steal anything and more God forbid they see the way less than pristine condition of those areas!

4 Likes

There is a certain way that certain people word certain things that set my spidey senses off. From your first post I suspected that you were looking to sell something or blog about Airbnb using our advice or something along those lines. I’ve actually seen posts here cut and pasted into someone else’s blog.

And I wasn’t the only one, obviously @jaquo and @Helsi were suspicious too. However I did go ahead and answer. As jaquo always says we know there are lurkers and newbies reading these threads for advice.

I could be wrong and I’m expecting you to tell me just that, lol. My advice to anyone who wants to sell products to Airbnb hosts is “don’t bother.” Because the market is competitive and because Airbnb guests are attracted to the idea of lower prices, having local goods “curated” (barf I hate that word) for airbnbs is not a cost effective way to add value.

6 Likes

I have recently had a whizzy idea about this and so far it’s working well. I got REALLY frustrated about cleaners for the Air apartments who don’t shine the taps, arrange the sofa coshions a millimetre out etc. and in the end, like many of us here, i’ve decided it’s less stressful to do it myself.

But I don’t need that level of perfection in our part of the house, I just want the floors mopped more than once every six months … so now a Nigerian lady from our church comes once every two weeks to do what, when my mother was in service, was called the “rough cleaning”, no cushion straightening, no lining up the cutlery in the drawers, just good honest mopping, vacuuming and dusting. Another good thing about it is that for her to be able to do this I need to tidy beforehand, so that also gets done more regularly.

So far, for me, it’s the perfect solution!

4 Likes

I am your neighbor in Hollywood…they still let you guys do Airbnb?
I read about new restrictions, everyday something new .
Lately I can’t compete with 25$ a day prices …that’s just ridiculous . No matter what I do they won’t rent my private room instead of hotel room for same money
I rent through Craigslist weekly minimum and get 40$ a day in low season and I am always occupied . Very rarely one of my 7 rooms stays empty . And it’s hardly any work. No more bed changing , cleaning etc.

I could be wrong, but the OP’s post didn’t quite read like that for me … however, I do think that there’s so much information available to answer his/her question scattered among other threads that a thorough read (it would only take a few months …) would a) produce lots of answers to the question and b) show that there basically is NO easy way to answer the question!

2 Likes