How to say no to long term?

That is a super-cute listing, @MsJTherrien. There is a lot of warmth and coziness in those photos!!

I know that was directed at @faheem, but I have a few thoughts, too.

I once advised Faheem, then took the same advice, to set prices higher than you would think possible, and see how you do. I tried that recently and got my highest-paid booking yet. An moments before I almost lowered the price, them remembered my advice to Faheem, and left them at what they are. Beyond Pricing says that 50% of airbnb bookings happen within less than 30 days of the stay. So if you are fully booked more than 30 days out, your price is to low and you’re ‘leaving money on the table’.

I would choose different photos for your first one, or, get a better quality photo so it doesn’t look out of focus. I shop for airbnb places quite a bit and if that first photo is out of focus it gives me the idea that the host doesn’t really care.

Your reviews are great; congrats!! One mentioned back-handledly, that they had a hard time locating your house?? Was that a one-off? Maybe a ‘welcome’ sign or something?

Otherwise, it looks great!!

2 Likes

Ha, I was SO mad when she wrote that, there are LITERALLY only FOUR houses on my tiny dead-end street, mine is the only single-family and the only one with a fence, which I messaged to her early in the day but she said she didn’t get it because she doesn’t use the app or email on her phone and didn’t have GPS… but, four houses!

Thanks for all of the input, I read over my listings all the time and feel like there are things I could do better! I’m thinking of signing up for the professional photos, but it’s hard because both of my rooms aren’t often empty at the same time. I’m going to take a lot of this advice on pricing!

2 Likes

Oh, man - and she’s another host!!! What are ya gonna do?!

If it makes you feel better (about the professional photography), I live just south of you and did apply for the photographer. I was informed that they don’t offer this service in the Boston area. Well, they actually said that there were no available photographers. I took that to mean that they have infiltrated this market sufficiently, and no longer need to provide this service.

I agree that your first picture doesn’t do your space justice. Having the back yard is a lovely feature, but, that shot needs to be better focused. And to take it another step, there needs to be more of a focal point for the picture to serve as your primary image.

Thanks… ironically, my backyard currently looks like the entire thing would light on fire if you dropped a match on it so I should change that picture anyway! :slight_smile:

We finally got about an inch of rain yesterday morning and my poor drooping garden is looking a tad better today. The lack of rain coupled with high humidity is making my current guests complain that it is way too hot and they criticize the historic sites that don’t have air conditioning. (Air conditioning was not an option in 1720 when the house they visited was built!) And they are from Texas!

Hi @dcmooney,

Did you mean the first (outside) shot for the “Cozy 2nd Floor Room in Haverhill” listing? (She has two different listings.) If so, I agree it could be improved on. And yes, it’s a bit out of focus.

I love your place and your dogs!

2 Likes

I had a few people ask about long term, the most recent was yesterday. I cap at 28 days. They wanted to know how much to charge for long term.

I told them they can keep rebooking 28 days at a time if they really wanted to. (its £616 per 28 days, if i had a long term lodger for that room I would only get £350-400 at most) so you can see why I prefer renting the room on Airbnb. But paying £616 per month for that room long term, you’d be pretty dumb to do that. :smile:

I take long term guests and book at a discount. I average 28 nights per month between two rooms so one room booked at my discount gives me a solid base and the other room at full price gives me additional revenue. That being said I’ve got renters coming for 3.5 months. They’ve booked the first 30 days, then the second 30, and so on so I avoid the tenants rights issue. This is my first time having guests for so long but I’ll be hitting my dead season in November and these guests will fill November and December.

Yes - out of focus photos = out of focus hosts. Not necessarily true, of course - but just like we hosts don’t like weird or out of focus photos of guests…

1 Like

Sometimes I can’t even tell their genders it’s so blurry. Lol

Yes, there are definitely a lot of guests that have not got that memo…

1 Like

People have posted on here that they don’t believe that protects you. Obviously it depends on the law of your jurisdiction but it’s something to consider and perhaps consult an attorney.

I don’t think that booking for 30 day stretches means that your guests won’t have tenants’ rights. In Los Angeles, CA tenants on month to month (as opposed to leases) and even houseguests who stay for free for over 30 days must be legally evicted.

1 Like