How to respond to a bad review

Well, actually the first time you looked our rate was $69 and I raised it to $99 just a few minutes later! We’ve had it closed off for summer while trying to get a few reviews under our belt; but maybe it’s time to
open up the calendar and see if the reviews will start to pay off. We’ve also held off on single night bookings. Do you have any opinions or thoughts about them? I might also search the forums for some info on that topic. Again, your feedback is so much appreciated!

Thoughts:

I would not call the unit the alley and mention it next to alley. Not something I would find desirable as a renter. Your section on charging for stains and damage sounds aggressive. Rules section is way too long and aggressive. No offense, but you come across as a dictator. I would not book this place.

Check-in , can you get self check -in. so it can be expanded from 4-6pm?

I saw it as 99 and didn’t think it was bad for winter. But you could get much more.
But now that spring and summer are coming along, try raising it.
You have a big house there. Parties might be able to split the nightly price. Don’t be afraid to raise that to $120 or higher.

I used to be in a bubble about my pricing. Then I had a look around and realized people with a private room only or a hammock on their lanai were charging the same as me, which was ridiculous. So I upped it a lot… and what happened? Even more bookings than ever!!!

It looks like you have had good guests, but somet8mes too low prices attract riff raff (this is a controversial opinion)

Danny… did you know your rules repeat themselves? You have the same rules twice.

I think Brandt is right. You can list rules in a more positive manner. Not so many NOs… even though all of your rules are reasonable.

For instance, instead of saying

NO EATING IN THE BEDROOMS!!!

You could say,

Please eat all meals in main dining room only.

For a large place like that I don’t think single night bookings are worthwhile. Some people set the calendar to take them only during the week when they are trying to fill in some dates. I wouldn’t allow them on weekends when someone taking Saturday precludes you from booking the rest of the weekend.

By raising your cleaning rate a little you effective raise the price of a one night stay and you can let the market decide if it’s worthwhile.

Yeah it’s the $70 I saw that had my eyes popping out of my head.

I have only had one bad review, and it was from an older lady who was clearly unhinged. In my listing, and this was a unique property, I had stated there was no cable/internet, because there was just no way of getting that to the property, even with satellite. She had walked in, tried to log into the internet (there must have been no networks available) and then tried to find cable on the TV to watch the Trump/Clinton debate… After which she had called me on my Google Voice number, which was recorded, and verbally abused my wife.

She immediately left, drove into town, and stayed in a hotel (according to her message) and wanted her money back, which we immediately called back and declined. At that point she verbally abused me, which was also recorded on my Google Voice, and hung up on me.

She did not stay there, but left me a review which was a false review about the state of the place, the lack of access to the property, etc etc. I called ABB on it and they immediately removed it.

In a situation such as this, I wouldn’t even respond to their review, and just have ABB remove it. I have seen a few reviews on my competitor’s listings which were good candidates for removal. If your listing is accurate, ABB should go to bat for their hosts. You can press them on that.

I am very glad you got a crap review removed. I have not been so lucky. I have had a couple of really bad, unfair and untrue reviews and Air always sided with the guest.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that, and I hear that ABB does side with guests a lot of the time. In our case, the guest clearly did not even stay there, and maybe that was the technicality which got it removed. But I had the recorded voicemail as evidence, and the false statements, which I could disprove (although it would have taken some time).

I try to ‘kill them with kindness’ but when that doesn’t work, nothing will.

1 Like

wow your an awesome host!

Most articles about Airbnb do give bad advice. (Except mine, haha!) It’s just a fashionable thing - write about Airbnb and get clicks. That’s why news media sites are so keen to post ‘horror stories’. All clickbait.

Hi, I received a 1 scored review. I think the article is right and that was what I did. While writing the responses to the negative review, I dismissed all of emotional part and took the perspective of the prospective guests who could read that bad review and what they expect a host supposed to respond. First, I validated their disappointment (dont care if this emotion is true and not, it doesn’t matter). People love their feeling to be validated. Second, find the truths within their rage. No matter how bitter it is, once we see that the complain is reasonable, take it and solve it. Third, don’t get personal if you find the bad review is not true. Consider it as their problems not yours. Still you need to respond by presenting the truth but avoid the tone of too much self-defense. Forth, focus on the problem not the person, on what you have and will do to solve the problem not on your sensitivity.The writer is right and it is proven on my case. After the bad review and my response appeared, I received some question about the issue and they need me to confirm, then the booking followed. We are selling they are buying. We are not inviting our nephews and nieces to stay at our home for free. We need to be professional here.

2 Likes