How to reply with a decline to someone who asks for a discount?

Whatever Brian’s intentions were, if Jepjep was clear that he/she didn’t provide breakfast (I don’t – only coffee, tea, and little milks and sweetners for the coffee), then he/she shouldn’t be penalized just because someone either didn’t read the description or refused to accept his/her continued information that breakfast was not provided. It is a choice. My Boulder guests are so friggin’ picky, I wouldn’t know what to serve! The last guests were vegan and gluten-free. I guess I could leave fruit but then it would have to be organic and too expensive. Fortunately, I have apple and plum trees right outside the door for this time of year :wink:

And, the AirbNb quip was intended to be sort of funny. One person said, "Next thing they’ll be expecting is free Air fare!

6 Likes

I am occasionally asked “What’s your best price,” and I reply, “The rate that you see in the ad is my best price.”

If they persist and say, “Would you consider letting us have it for $____,” I reply, “I’m sorry but this is not 'Let’s Make a Deal. There are probably 100 other units in the building with lower rates than mine and I’m sure you will not have any problem finding one within your budget…Best wishes and good luck to you.”’

(slam!)

…figuratively.

4 Likes

I have never asked for a discount. I just keep searching until I find the right fit – price-wise, location, and amenities.

5 Likes

An inquiry the other day:

Guest: "My wife and I are considering coming to your place if we could get it for the right price.Your place sounds like it would be perfect for us."
Me: "Oh, there is only one price. I believe you will love the place.as all others have."
Guest: "I am sure I would, but the price is more than we would like to pay"
Me: "BTW, what dates were you thinking of coming?
Guest: This coming October
Me: It is booked unfortunately, perhaps best to check our availability calendar.
Guest: "Well you are booked into 2018, why didn’t you tell me!
Me: "I assumed that was the first thing you checked before asking for a discount."
Guest: “No wonder you don’t give discounts!”

(Click. End of conversation)

/Morning ladies and gentlemen

15 Likes

Good morning all right!

I’m having third guest who can’t find the door.
“What, there was a code?”
“Yes, I did send you the code and all the information how to find our place.”
"Oh! I just asked for help"
Don’t they even read the messages we send?

I need a vacation in @Mearns’s place - oh that would be in few years…

4 Likes

I mean only if you could make a good deal for us!

2 Likes

Hahaha Jeb. Actually, I reserve about 5 ‘social’ days every month for just plain guests with ‘special needs’, which oftentimes does include price. I mentioned this to my 3 sisters, and immediately found out how many nephews, cousins and all kinds of assorted distant relatives I didn’t know I had.

8 Likes

I do NOT find it common for people to request a discount on VRBO - but occasionally I get this. I have given small “token” discounts for multiple night stays if it is a small group - 2 rather than 4. If I get a “what’s your best price” type inquiry, I think they are probably messaging many others - and I am not going to be the cheapest so I just send the regular price quote without a discount.

2 Likes

Where I do tend to make exceptions is with families, that have kids, especially very young ones, say 2-7 year old or so.

Hi cuz, been thinking about you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

I just spilled my coffee when I read that. LoL

/off to work, this place is way too funny this morning

1 Like

If the discount inquiry comes through Airbnb or flipkey - I let the guest know that they are choosing to use an expensive site that charges them booking fees, and there are plenty of other ways to book without being charged those fees - and would be less expensive for them to find a place.

Don’t tell me “this is my budget” when I know you are throwing $75 to Air just to use the site!

1 Like

This is the conversation with the guest who asked for a discount AFTER she booked; she was asking me to come down from $275/night to $200/night – that’s about a 27% discount:

Hi there! Looking to reserve a spot for 3 peoples (one couple and one guy) for a hiking/Mtn biking trip. I like the location of our place to downtown and perfect layout with 2 rooms. Let me know if available. We are looking at others options in Golden as well. Thank you!

Hi Emery and thank you for the inquiry. Will you please tell me your age and the ages of the other two guests? Also, I didn’t see on your profile where you live. Thanks, Sandy

Hi Sandy - I’m 43, female. The other 2 guests are 34, 35. One is my boyfriend and the other is a close friend. I closed my profile down for the past year as I stopped renting out my place in New York. But I have stated in another Airbnb location in Boulder this past spring.

Yes, Emery, I am hitting the accept button. You’re all set. I will send you a detailed email two days prior to your arrival. Thanks again! Sandy

Reservation confirmed 08/07/2016

Hi Sandy - your spot was advertised $200-$350. Since this is not peak season, can we negotiate to $200/night? With the cleaning and $130 Airbnb fees, it’s a bit more expensive than we budgeted. Please let me know your thoughts.
Respectfully, Emey

(My cleaning fee is $65)

Hi Emery. September (and October) in Boulder is still peak season, especially the weekends because of the University of Colorado football games. The weekend you booked is a scheduled home game for the Buffs. Plus, my price is my price and I do not drop it. My place is in a prime location and I keep it very clean. If you need to cancel the reservation, I will understand. Sandy

And, Emery, if you choose to cancel the reservation, even though I have a “strict” reservation policy, I will refund all but the Airbnb fee (over which I have no control) as your reservation is more than a month away. However, I hope you choose to be my guest :slight_smile: Sandy

Thanks for the quick response, Sandy. We will keep the reservation. Your place looks fantastic and I do appreciate prime location and cleanliness.
- Emery

Talk to you about details later, sharing itinerary with you now. We land at DIA 11:30am on 9/22 and depart 3:50pm on 9/26.

Yay! I’m looking forward to having you as my guest, Emery. I’ll keep you posted as to whether you will be arriving or departing on a back-to-back day (so far, that’s not the case). If that changes, you are welcome to bring your luggage earlier than 3 and/or leave it with me on your check out day. Sandy

5 Likes

Nicely handled. I don’t discount and usually reply with sorry we don’t discount. I hate to bargain myself unless I’m in a place where it is expected culturally. And when I’m in Tiffanys.:money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

I’ve listed on VRBO for almost two years, and I get very few requests for a discount. I get way more requests for lowered rates on Airbnb!

I helped a friend with her VRBO listing for years, back when they were still a start up. My help consisted of almost anything that required the computer, so for the first year I took care of her correspondence for her. [In exchange, she taught my kid viola at a greatly reduced fee. Great tradeoff.]

In that year, I remember exactly one person requesting a discount. We booked her house solidly, which is why I remember this. I don’t recall if they received the discount. I think Dawn’s sentence should have been written as “My apologies. I commonly ask for a discount on VRBO and offend everyone that I can.”

1 Like

Oh my…then quit using Airbnb to book places!! - Idiots…

4 Likes

That’s hysterical :sweat_smile:

1 Like

There was one guy that complained about the “limited breakfast” I offered (I don’t advertise it’s included, I don’t charge for it, and he got fruit, cereal, milk, coffee, yoghurt and a breakfast bar thingy). His complaint was that for 95€ a night he expected better.

I replied that I don’t include it or advertise it, thanked him for his candid info about the room fee he paid as I cannot see it, then told him how it looked from my end… that I received only 42 euros for the room fee for the night, and that I can understand how the 30 euro cleaning fee and AirBnB’s fees would make it seem expensive for a single-night stay. I also told him I’d consider not offering single nights anymore.

I still do, mind you, but I wasn’t going to let some rude SOB take me to task over a freebie, especially when he was a “solo guest” yet a lady also clearly stayed there, based on what they did to the sheets.

8 Likes

Twice now, that I know of, I’ve had duo married men (sans wives) stay at my place for a buddy trip, and I know from what was left behind and my tell-all neighbors that they had female guests. One of them I messaged, “So, who was the extra guest, aka blue glitter girl?” I won’t mention here what she left behind. I didn’t mention the violations for either group in their reviews as, well, they are married and I didn’t want to get between a husband and wife. And, whose to know? Maybe they were issued hall passes :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes