How to move your business from Airbnb to other competitor platforms slowly and effectively

One man’s drivel is another’s common sense.

If a host is relying on Airbnb to get their leads then it doesn’t seem like a very a sound business plan, can’t you see that? If a host thinks that Airbnb has too much control over their business then why use them in the first place?

2 Likes

I book on other sites as well jaquo. Your post make no sense to my original point. The point of this is to move business away from Airbnb not continue to rely on them for business. Thank God for VRBO at this point.

Are you continuing to take guests?

Wow @JohnF Pump your brakes on the hate!

Hi @ssack I have been in the process of “shifting” my business from Airbnb to HomeAway/VRBO for about 18 months now.
It’s slow going, but it’s gradually happening. If you don’t mind, here’s a couple of “tips”

1. Reviews are pretty much everything, so to help nudge the reviews along on HA/V, (which are notoriously hard to get on that platform,) I offer the guests who have checked out a $25 gift card as a “thank you” for taking time to leave a review. That’ has helped a great deal.
  2. I don’t put Airbnb or their logo on any of my advertising.
  3. I offer discounts on HA/V (sounds like you’re already doing that.)
  4. I flatly let guest know who make inquiries for dates far off in the future on Airbnb that I require guests to reserve them on “another” platform. I have a “Super Strict” cancellation policy on Airbnb, which means I get paid 60 days in advance and there can be no cancellations after before 60 days or arrival. But on HA/V I have a 100% “NO CANCELLATIONS” rule and make sure guests sign off on that. So this month I’m covered, as all my reservations are on HA/V, but next month I have one for a 4 days for $6000 ( that I’ve already been paid on,) so I’m sweating it out. I’m kicking myself for not insisting that they book on HA/V ! But it was just a few days before the 60 days No cancellation, and thought I was safe… but then Corona and Airbnb came along and kicked Airbnb Hosts in the teeth. That’s a REALLY expensive lesson to learn. NEVER AGAIN!
    Good luck to you!
2 Likes

It’s absolutely relevant @ssack

Airbnb’s cancellation policy for EC is clearly outlined in their T&Cs and on Airbnb Help when you signed up you knew (or should have known as an experienced property manager the implications of signing up to this policy).

Glad to hear you are bucking the trend experienced by the vast majority of hosts globally and finding the current crisis has passed you by and your rental is ‘doing great’.

How does having your guest sign a separate STR contract over-ride the T&Cs of the STR platform a guest booked through @Mark80424?

Be great to hear about the legal advice you got on this?

A simple clause in your agreement stating that the terms of the agreement shall control over any conflicting terms or conditions of the booking website and another that states that the agreement supercedes all prior or contemporaneous agreements (called a merger clause).

Airbnb has a clause in their agreement that hosts everywhere now are arguing should have no effect. Ironic.

9.5 In certain circumstances, Airbnb may decide, in its sole discretion, that it is necessary to cancel a pending or confirmed booking and initiate corresponding refunds and payouts. This may be for reasons set forth in Airbnb’s Extenuating Circumstances Policy or (i) where Airbnb believes in good faith, while taking the legitimate interests of both parties into account, this is necessary to avoid significant harm to Airbnb, other Members, third parties or property, or (ii) for any of the reasons set out in these Terms.

I thought of this too. I also thought of charging an extra fee to Guests on Airbnb. What would I call it the “High Risk” fee. I’ll make it very high (haven’t thought of the dollar amount.) And if someone asks what it is, I will say. “This fee is because Airbnb is a high risk platform to Hosts. To avoid this fee please look for my property on other platforms which are lower risk. The booking prices are lower too.”

As an entity the Hosts that Airbnb screwed over during this time are way more important than we think, and Airbnb will regret it if they lose us. You might think Airbnb is gigantic and powerful, but really without us they are just go back to their initial business model (sleeping bags on the floor). I wrote this same thing elsewhere, so I’m sorry if I’m repeating. Look at it this way. Airbnb has 650,000 Hosts, but only 7% are Superhosts. I am willing to bet it is actually a very small percent of the hosts who are actively booking on a regular basis. This is a huge chunk of their earnings. And these are the very Hosts Airbnb are screwing over right now. We are a relatively small number of their Hosts, but are very significant to their business.

1 Like

What do you see as the role of guests in the Airbnb business model?

Well what exactly are you asking? What do you see as the role of guests in the Airbnb business model?

Forcing guests to pay for stays they didn’t complete seems like a policy that would cause guests to leave in droves. So although Airbnb needs hosts, they also need guests. Time will tell if Airbnb or VRBO followed the most viable strategy.

1 Like

OK. So, you see the Airbnb business model as this: Hosts are wholesalers, Airbnb is the retailer, and Guests are the Customer. Booking is the product (like a tangible item – like a pair of shoes). I think Airbnb does see it like that? And you do as well?

Are you a Host on Airbnb?

How about this, stay at home at stop whining.

1 Like

Airbnb is a booking and payment platform. I have the product and I’m responsible for it. If I don’t want to abide by Airbnb policies (which are arbitrary and capricious) no one is forcing me to use their platform.

Yes I’m a host. I’ve been hosting a room in my home for 6 years, over 800 stays and almost 600 reviews. But I’m the original “one host, one home,” room at my house (but no airmattress) style. I don’t live in a tourist area so I host a lot of travellers, people moving, people visiting family that sort of thing. Lots of road trippers passing through so I will be affected by the coming recession.