How to limit number of children and infants

What are you going to reply? I’m actually in favour of families, but that’s taking it a bit far. Suggest the kids wear night-nappies? (diapers)

2 Likes

@Sedgwick - I would reply “ if your children wet the bed, you will be charged $200 US for cleaning and sanitizing every bed they wet. I suggest you bring plastic bed protectors and use them on our beds to avoid the possibility of this charge”

4 Likes

I have to say that as much as I’m not into kids all of our child and baby guests have been great so far.

1 Like

Cover the beds in zip up waterproof covers if you host them.

Would you please share with me how to do this? I can’t seem to find where this option is. Thanks,

I simply stated that the property is not child proofed in the body of my listing.

I tell the requesters that the place just isn’t safe for kids and because we’re waterfront, I long to tell them that we’ve got alligators in there. We don’t of course, but it’s so very tempting to say so. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I know how you feel! We don’t allow air mattresses. When I get asked why we don’t allow them, I really want to tell them that the big roaches will run over anyone sleeping near the floor. Actually, I think I told one group of six unrelated female 20-somethings that when they told me they were going to have a party with a DJ at our home.

4 Likes

I think the option used to be under House Rules, but it is now under the Safety and Property section. (Leave it to Airbnb to hide things in non-intuitive places)

So you should check it off there but also mention it in the body of your listing wording, and also reiterate during booking.

I don’t mind babies at all. I only have a private room listing for one guest and it only has a single bed, but if a single mom with an infant (an actual infant, not Airbnb’s definition of 0-2) she slept with wanted to book, I would accept.

Not all babies are criers. My middle daughter was a super calm baby who slept 8 hrs straight at night by the time she was 2 months old, and almost never cried, and my youngest grandaughter was also a baby who hardly ever cried. And when she did cry, it wasn’t one of those squalling, shreiking cries, it was not loud at all. After they came to stay for 2 weeks when she was 4 months old, my neighbor asked if that was my daughter she saw walking the road with the baby strapped on her. When I said yes, she said wow, she never even heard a baby crying. I said she seldom cried- a bit of fussing when being put down for nap, or a bit cranky when waking up was about it. My neighbor said, “Oh, my son was like that, too. Really quiet and calm.”

Thanks! Found it under ‘Safety’. I really appreciate the help!

infants shouldn’t require camp beds or cots for that matter. this should indicate that they are children not infants. i would let them know that those amenities are not part of the property and that they should cancel the booking because the property is suitable for 5 people an no more. i have seen some really bad advice in the comments, threatening to spy on people with cameras is a horrible thing to communicate. You would need to just ding them for breaking house rules, and request money for the extra headcount, if they leave a bad review you’ll need to make sure your property description and house rules are written well and you can get the review removed. If not this booking, protect yourself in the future by making sure your policies and rules are written well.

1 Like

Airbnb’s definition of infant is 0-2. So much broader than what I would consider an infant, which is a tiny baby who can’t even sit up by itself yet.

Yes, a camping cot would be unsuitable for a little baby, as they could just roll off of it, but a one-two year old could sleep on a camp cot, (although most travelling parents would use a pack and play crib) so I don’t think that asking for one is a sure fire way to know that the child is older than 2.