How to handle late checkout?

I’ve had a longer term guest stay with me since July 25. She is supposed to check out today. When I came downstairs this morning, I found a note from her on the kitchen table that she’d be leaving at 1 PM since her flight is at 3:15 PM. My checkout time is 11 AM.

She is here still, and I’m not sure if I should knock on her door and explain that she needs to be out by 11 (but of course politely), or let it go? I don’t have another arrival tonight BUT my usual policy is out by 11 or pay for another night - because it delays how soon I can start on cleaning. I don’t want to come off like I am pushing her out or rude because I always fear reviews even though we can respond to those. That being said she stated she’s staying til 1 PM instead of asking. :confused:

If anyone sees this quickly, I’d appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Edit because this is resolved (copied/pasted from below):

She came out of her room to eat some leftover pizza of hers and I asked her then if it’s possible for her to be out by 11. I said I was not trying to be rude or push her out but 11 AM is my standard time. She said yes with no issues. So I guess this is resolved! I just felt a little bad having to say it to her. I work really hard to be hospitable so when I have to enforce boundaries it sucks because it feels like I’m not, even though I’m just sticking to my policies. It is a business, after all. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This assumes everything went well with her visit till now. When you see her you could say. “Standard checkout time is 11. Normally late checkout is arranged ahead of time, not on day of departure. You can stay till 1 but I am going to have to get started cleaning.” Then get started a little after 11. Don’t do the bathroom till after after she leaves. Probably better than insisting she leave.

3 Likes

Did you remind her recently that check-out was at 11 AM?

1 Like

Thank you! Everything has gone well.

She came out of her room to eat some leftover pizza of hers and I asked her then if it’s possible for her to be out by 11. I said I was not trying to be rude or push her out but 11 AM is my standard time. She said yes with no issues. So I guess this is resolved! I just felt a little bad having to say it to her. I work really hard to be hospitable so when I have to enforce boundaries it sucks because it feels like I’m not, even though I’m just sticking to my policies. It is a business, after all. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, but in the future for guests who stay longer than a few days, I’ll message them through the app the day before to remind them of 11 AM checkout and the checkout procedure.

If you feel you can trust the guest on the review, you can always offer a later check-out time as long as you can start cleaning at 11 AM.

Glad it worked out but even the text you sent was a little wimpy. :grimacing: Don’t be afraid to remind them of their check out hour. Something like, thanks for your note, but I have to start cleaning right at 11 which is the check out time. Hope you enjoyed your stay!

Not “is it possible?”

I’m a substitute teacher for many years. Note that I never ask the kids if "is it possible that we can do math after morning recess? " :rofl::rofl::rofl: what do you think the answer would be???

2 Likes

I read an article once that I go back to from time to time for fortitude. It said to use the phrase “we don’t” when turning down a request instead of “we won’t”. Don’t is much stronger than Won’t. When you say “we won’t”, it leaves more wiggle room for changing your mind, and some people will start working on that to try and get you to change your mind.

5 Likes

Kona -

I actually didn’t text her - did you read the update I put in the original post? She came in the kitchen to eat some leftover pizza of hers, and I asked her then (like face to face) if she could possibly leave by 11 AM. It was no problem at all. I just got back from church and she’s out. It’s noon EST and I left for church at 10:30 AM. :slight_smile:

I felt like “is it possible” was the best way to put it without sounding rude or inhospitable. It’s a fine line to walk with enforcing boundaries but also not alienating guests.

I couldn’t text her the entire time she was here, as she was foreign. My only options for contact were face to face, e-mail, or message within the AirBNB app (which wasn’t ideal because she booked using her husband’s account and didn’t check it very much).

I actually teach full time for a living so I totally understand your example! :wink:

2 Likes

I message everyone (short or long stays) the day before reminding them of the checkout instructions and the checkout time. This information is in the unit, but people don’t read. I noticed when I do this people often tell me exactly when they’re planning to leave (especially people leaving early) so I can plan my cleaning, etc. and sometimes I can even let the next guest check in a little early if they’ve asked nicely.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter if there’s no other guest coming in, as a business you need to have the place ready in case someone does. So, I simply reflect that back on the current guest: I would need the room/place by checkout time so I can start preparing for the next guest.
If they have a much later journey out of my city, I let them leave the bags to pick up later, but they must leave the place by checkout time.

I usually ask them the day before, something like ‘what are your plans for tomorrow morning’ and hint at the checkout time. If they say they will or want to stay until later, I have the above response ready.

Let’s hope it is. But I have found this approach risky. Even though they agreed to you face to face, they might be disappointed you didn’t let them get their way. And you know where that disappointment shows up.

You’re full of great advise and wisdom. Thanks for sharing this!

I try to be accommodating (only if it is possible) when someone asks for an early arrival or late departure, within reason. If it were me, someone requesting a 2-hour extension after a lengthy stay would not have been a problem.

However, when someone TELLS you what they are going to do with your space (not requesting a favour from you) it would get my back up a little and I’d likely push back.

We had guests last year who wanted to arrive at 11am and leave at 4pm (our check-in is 4pm and check out is 11am). I quoted an hourly rate for extending their stay. They declined. Problem solved.

3 Likes

Hourly rates… now there’s an idea!

1 Like

Yeah! I wouldn’t charge it if it were just for an hour or two (and I’m careful to say that it can only be added to an existing nightly rental).:wink:

But if someone wants to extend their stay by 4+ hours it’s a way of working with their request without feeling like I’m being taken advantage of. It’s been great for the times “I’ve pulled it out of the hat!”

3 Likes