How to get local Businesses to show up on Airbnb Map?

Yep, because they are not in any guidebooks. You can put them in your guidebook and then they should show up (but I’m not sure if they have to be in more than one guidebook or not).

There you go, @candjo, JJD just told you how the businesses that appear on the map get there, which answers one of your questions.

So, when someone looks at “Where You’ll Be” they see this on my listing:

Then when they click ‘Show more’, they see:

Yes, now I see a few ‘paltry businesses’ there.

When they click on the guidebook, they see:

1 Like

Is there more than one question?

Now THIS is an informed answer to my actual question. THANK YOU!!
Bottom line? Airbnb map function is clunky, uninformative, and difficult to edit. Thanks again!

Well, one was how Airbnb chooses what they show on the map, and the other was how to get all the places the host wants to show onto the map, which I guess could be considered part of the same question.

1 Like

Well, the OP stated:

We showed the OP how to do that, construing ‘Airbnb map’ broadly to include the map they see when you create a guidebook.

But in our area it is no way a complete summary of all the places other Hosts have listed because I too have listed places that the guidebook shows many (30 for one place) other Hosts have recommended but yet they do not show up on any of the three maps above. Why? I don’t know.

1 Like

Is this what you’re looking for? These are generated from my guide book but guests still have to click on each one to see what it is. I do like that they now at least offer different icons distinguishing between restaurants, gift shoppes and grocery stores. Even tho the map is generic future guests can see there are things nearby. Especially an ocean!

2 Likes

Proximity to a specific restaurant is very low on a guest’s list of ‘must haves’. In the internet age of today, a guest has so many tools at their disposal to find things - from Yelp to their GPS in their car - that it would seem that the OP’s idea would have been a worthwhile thing in 2010 or 2000 but not in 2023

2 Likes

Also, if guests have a specific venue they want to get to, they usually send inquiries first and ask “How far is your place from…” I’ve had several guests ask things like that before committing to a booking.
But it’s never for things like shopping or restaurants, it’s more for things like somewhere they’ve signed up to take a course.

And most guests book with me because I’m not in town, even though most of them make the 20 minute walk every day to town and the beach. They want to take advantage of that stuff, but they want a quiet place to come home to and have a peaceful sleep. Even the few younger guests I’ve had who like to go out to the bars at night don’t want to hear the bars once they’re ready for bed. Or get woken up early by the noise in town.

One guest booked with me even though she had come to take sailing lessons in another town a half hour drive from here. The town where her lessons were exists solely to cater to tourists- she hated touristy places and had no desire to stay there.

1 Like

I only just noticed they even do this. and yeah, you’re right, they only list a fraction of what’s around. One of the wineries they’ve listed was closed for the past 2 years! I dont’ think we have any control and maybe it was a good idea they started and then abandoned…

As mentioned by others, putting in a list of local attractions into your description is a good idea. Other hosts might very copy/paste my list, although mine has the exact distances, so they’d have to do all that work for themselves. I can back it up though, when i chat with guests, because we personally have visited every cafe, restaurant or winery we recommend. Not sure every local host can say that, and I get comments in my reviews about how helpful we were.

2 Likes

I’m a web and software developer and digital marketing professional. Here are the answers to your questions:

1. ABB doesn’t “steal” from host guidebooks, they scrape the information from Google and Google Maps (as well as other on-line sources) and if you input information in “add a restaurant (or whatever),” that goes into their database and (hopefully) updates location information

2. EVERY business SHOULD have a Google Account to manage their business. This account allows for verified information to show up on Google Maps (and then be scraped, sold, whatever) for businesses, restaurants, etc.

3. If a business doesn’t show up on your local Google Maps, then it is highly likely that those businesses haven’t finished filling out their profiles or gotten verified (it’s a fairly straightforward process, as far as anything to do with the Google Console can be considered straightforward). My clients pay me for an hour of my time to get them sorted on Google and then digital marketing companies (like mine) can then manage their AdWords, hours, locations, etc.

4. Put all the info in your guidebook. See @jaquo’s response. Go to the places and say “Hey, you don’t show up on Google, register your biz or call a local web person to help you.”

Hope this helps. I’m still working on that first cup of coffee and the cat keeps yelling at me.

3 Likes

If those businesses haven’t filled out their Google info, taken ownership of their Yelp profiles, or other on-line business verification tools, then those places won’t show up on a Map or will be relegated to a 2nd, 3rd, or 10th page of any on-line search.

Get your profiles, people! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So if I understand you correctly, the reason a Google map of my town that shows hundreds of restaurants, shops, and other businesses won’t appear on linked maps is because the business owners have only dropped a pin, but haven’t followed through with verifications, etc.?

I don’t understand the question and since I don’t know where you live, I can’t answer it.

Businesses create google profiles and verify their businesses and they show up on google maps. people can also drop pins on businesses, but that take smore to get on Maps.

Well, I live in Sayulita, Mexico. If you look on Google Maps, there are tons of businesses marked on the map. But if you look at the map on Airbnb for Sayulita, there’s like 2 businesses marked. Maybe because no hosts have guidebooks where they have mentioned those businesses?

2 Likes