How to Find Good Cleaners?

My 84 year old step-mom came to visit me from London a couple years ago. Not only did she fly from London>Mexico City>Puerto Vallarta on her own, she was texting, Facebooking, booking tickets, etc. on her smart phone with the speed and dexterity of a 15 year old. Just because people are old doesn’t mean they’re stupid and can’t learn new technology.

2 Likes

It’s not really a case of them learning when they’re old. Plenty of people in their seventies or eighties were using computers, for example, a long time before today’s thirty year olds were born.

What’s more, in those days, people didn’t have happy things like Windows to help them, they were using computer languages. When the web came along, they were writing websites in raw html, not using WYSIWYG editors.

I haven’t ever tried, it’s just something I thought might work. I’m also a senior and I hear you about the senior’s center, but there really are active seniors who attend those places to get together with others, play cards or other games, etc. I’m not talking about an assisted living center or anything.
But one could advertise for that in a number of ways- on community bulletin boards, aquatic centers, etc.
“Are you a healthy, active senior who’d like to supplement your income with a part-time job as a cleaner for an Airbnb rental? If so, and you have reliable transportation, excellent cleaning skills and a flexible schedule, please contact…”

Like every other stereotype, age typing can’t be applied to individuals. As a group I’ve definitely seen a gap between my peers and older (55 and up) and my former students and other younger friends (25-50ish) but there are lots of variables.

1 Like

I know plenty of people my age - 60 - and older who are uncomfortable with tech to a large degree. They can do what they want to do, but they would not want to be tied to their phone like my cleaner is. But by all means, let’s all bounce that back and forth.

There is a reason senior centers offer computer classes.

1 Like

I really hate to think of myself as that. :rofl:

1 Like

How about “living an active lifestyle”? Or “spry and spunky”? :wink:

1 Like

Neither thank you. I prefer to think that I am thirty five. A bit wrecked-looking and dilapidated, that’s for sure though… but I like to fool myself :slight_smile:

1 Like