How to find gay friendly airbnb listings or market your listing to the gay community

She certainly is! I clearly have no idea at all, baking is not my thing. Give me a good salami and some salty olives any day!

You certainly raised my appetite with all the vivid descriptions :+1:.

Rather late to the discussion but giving my guests crumpets for breakfast ALWAYS resulted in comical results as 100% did not realise it’s cumpulsory to toast them. Those that did toast them didn’t toast them long enough.

I would find cold crumpets untoasted and smeared with butter with one bite taken out of them in the bin.

For those who have not had the delight of a crumpet; they are thick and chewy, with an unpleasant resistant, granular texture when cold. Well toasted, they transform into a pleasant bouncy vehicle for butter, oodles of butter. The butter sinks through the crumpet from top to bottom and it’s very indulgent. Done right, that is. I should add traditionally a crumpet is more an afternoon snack thing than a breakfast thing but many eat them for breakfast (including me). I stopped giving my guests crumpets and now rate them ‘advanced’ in terms of a guest’s ability to enjoy them properly without supervision.

Muffins which are another fave of mine stayed on the menu longer, though these caused issues again as again most treated them like a bread roll when ideally they need to split, toasted and buttered. Again often an afternoon snack which I eat when I fancy. No-one would turn in their grave if you ate them for breakfast. Rated ‘moderate’ as in sometimes went wrong for guests.

Scones (said by me as skohne, but to be honest who cares :wink: ) are more obviously an afternoon snack and are rather delicious. No toasting for this one and so I often gave guests scones for breakfast. Now this was naughty of me as it was meal inappropriate but I wanted my guests to try something English. Rated ‘easy’ in terms of a guest’s ability to enjoy as the only question is - do I want jam or not?

I ended up defaulting to sliced bread for breakfast which was 100% dull but did not result in confusion.
It was too upsetting seeing great English staples eaten wrong and then knowing guests would think we English were crazy. For some reason we have a reputation for bad food ?!?!?!

4 Likes

I am literally LOL at your guest ratings! This should be the standard for many of our discussions of guest ability. For example I’d rate digital locks and parking as moderate (in terms of ability to use them without supervision) but towels and wi-fi is easy.

Except for breakfast. A hearty breakfast is known world wide as an English one and those snacks served in the morning are known as continental ones.

2 Likes

I’d add afternoon tea to that standard :slight_smile:

I think we all have the easy, moderate, advanced thing going on in our heads I might just be the first person who admitted it openly :sweat_smile:

Anything advanced and you need to seriously think about ditching it. I was pretty sad when I saw that crumpets fell into that category as I love them and they’re so quintessentially English.

1 Like

Bah hahhhh, you are so funny Zandra. I love the English sense of humour. Notice I spelled that properly.

1 Like

This is the package that started it all. For the record, they are pretty tasteless. Tasteless and chewy.
I was taken in by the labeling. I love me some Tower Bridge iconography.

Oh… and check out the instructions: Heat until “crunchy and golden brown.”

2 Likes

Awesome post, one of the best ever done on this forum. How do I award the Great Post Badge??? :star_struck::rofl::rofl:

Agree. It’s made me a better host now!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Expound in the English style, please!

Hm? Just being sarcastic. :slight_smile:

No. I love hearing you English converse. The intellectual level is so high and entertaining. At least this was my experience in visiting my group of friends back in the day. They were in their 30s and I was in my 40s and I felt out of their league because the banter was so clever.

I realize that is stereotyping… but just my experience!

2 Likes

I’d like to think it’s all British and not just the English - I might be biased but I can’t find any other nation’s humor as funny as British humour. It’s probably because something I’m more used to than any inherent superior quality I shouldn’t claim. (But I know there is!)

(harrumpf…)

Come on @SandyToes, you can do better than that, I know it :slight_smile:

Well let’s face it. You have a long tradition of clever spoken performances and outstanding musical entertainment.

A trip to the Globe or the West End theatres proves that.

The Bard lives on!

I sound like a tourist but seeing Phantom at Her Majesty’s Theatre where it opened in 1983 was one of the highlights of my life.

1 Like

(double harrumpf…)

I can’t speak for all British people, but the Bard is certainly an inspiration for me, even to this day. I would write my prose in iambic pentameter, but I lack the patience.

Congrats, you’ve done twice as better! Let’s see if your improvement is to be linear or exponential.

Me too…

I sometimes dream in Shakespearean. But then I was an English major, with an emphasis on British Literature.

1 Like