How to find gay friendly airbnb listings or market your listing to the gay community

You’re in Dublin bake scones! They don’t need food from where they are from, that’s why they are traveling. I bake scones for all my guests and they absolutely love them.

3 Likes

Please discuss crumpets. What are the difference between scones, crumpets and English muffins? (Which may not at all be English.)

@Astaire, @Magwitch, @Zandra, and any other English/UK I have missed!

1 Like

‘Crumpet’ has other interesting associations :smile:

Scone and muffin less so. At least scone.

2 Likes

(I knew by your Happy Face that I would have to look up the word and, while enlightened, I’ll be hard-pressed for an opportunity to use it.)

1 Like

At least, you’ll now know what I’m talking about when I need to use that word :wink:

More seriously (relative to my first response of course),
I can only make crumpets, never made scones or E-muffins. But I tend to make my pancakes thinner though.

PS: Looks like the other Brits have gone to bed early :slight_smile:

This is embarrassing but at first reading, I thought your E-muffins meant electronic-muffins. (Duhh moment #36 of the day.)

2 Likes

I can’t really help on this culinary issue. Except that crumpets are pretty disgusting. There is indeed an interesting linguistic hijack, as @Astaire points out. No idea why crumpet got that particular meaning but “muffin-top” is self-explanatory. Scone seems to be sacred apart from the raging debate about how it is pronounced: is it scone (rhymes with stone) or sconn? The vast majority of right-thinking individuals believe the latter is correct.

1 Like

It’s sconn else you earn my scorn!!

@Magwitch, how can you say such a thing?? Crumpets are scrumptious, but they do need the requisite amount of butter to sink through the little holes at the top (I recommend about 2 tablespoons per crumpet. A “piece of crumpet” is an attractive young lady …

Muffins are not called “English muffins” in the UK because, well, because they’re muffins, dammit. You don’t say “French crepes” … well, I expect you do in the US. It does get complicated because of course we also now have those big “healthy” things stuffed with blueberries, chocolate, and other healthy things so no doubt we’ll soon be calling muffins “English muffins” (see, I said it was simple …)

Oop North we say sconn, which I still say, but my London-based daughter says scone. Isn’t it scoon in Scotland (as in the Stone of Scone/Scoon)?

You’ll have to forgive my ramblings … I’ve been deep-cleaning the kitchen all day, followed by half a bottle of best vino rosado. I just couldn’t let this insult to one of our great British bakes go past without comment.

1 Like

Another thing to add to my list for my next visit to Malaga…

Nope, the Scottish village Scone does not rhyme with a tasty scone.

Welcome to the wonderful world of English dialects in Great Britain!

I kind of totally agree with @Maggieroni :slightly_smiling_face:. Traveling is about trying new things, even if it’s not 100% to one’s liking.
I also haven’t got a clue what all Belgians will definitely like. We are big chocolate eaters, but I know quite a few Belgians who will never touch it. Or some will only eat dark and others only white. I think it’s just personal preference.

Don’t worry, just bake anything you want. It’s not only about people liking the taste it’s also about people liking the gesture.

I wish AIRBNB had an “I don’t care as long as you respect: me, my neighbors & my property”. I really don’t care about any one else’s sexuality & religion. This is a rental. I am doing this for the revenue. The delightful personal relations I’ve developed are a wonderful bonus. Any fool who turns away polite, respectful, well paying guests deserves what they get, NOTHING (It’s about the money). In all seriousness, is there a way to include in a rental search, that I welcome anyone who is respectful & courteous?

Not in the search parameters but you can include it in the text of your listing or your House Rules.

1 Like

This is all what we are after.
But I recently had a guest accuse me of being racist because I scolded her for having a nasty abusive and disruptive arguement while staying at my place while I was gone. It’s a neat trick to be racist when you never even met the guest or saw their photo.

Sorry for the offence :wink: I must have only had poor quality ones because they just taste like rubber to me. Muffins don’t appeal to me much either because I don’t have a sweet tooth and essentially they’re just little stodgy cakes with bits in. A good scone, on the other hand, is great. Particularly the Devonshire all-butter ones, soft and crumbly, with lashings of clotted cream/butter and jam. With a pot of very strong tea, of course. Yum!

English muffins aren’t sweet. They are made from yeast batter and cooked on the stovetop. In other words they are nothing like muffins.

2 Likes

Ah. Shows how much I know - those look like crumpets to me.

2 Likes

English muffins have a different texture than crumpets. To me, crumpets are chewy. English muffins are fluffy. English muffins are always split in half. They should be split with a fork, not a knife to create more nooks and crannies for butter. To my knowledge, crumpets are not split in half. Butter and jam are put on the top. For the record, I like them all: crumpets, English muffins, muffins and scones.

4 Likes

Crumpets and English muffins are related, but very different. Crumpets are…

never mind. @EllenN is all over this! I love homemade English muffins but haven’t made any in a while. Perhaps I need to again, after I make that batch of bagels I have been craving.

2 Likes