How to find gay friendly airbnb listings or market your listing to the gay community

@EllenN

"People of all faiths and heathens alike, are welcome."
or how 'bout: "The faithful and the faithless are welcome."
or how 'bout: “People of all faiths and flavors…”

(I’m sure you know that the above was a light-hearted response to the efforts of other posters who were suggesting re-wording the phrase: “People of all faiths and none are welcome.”…right?)

1 Like

Considering that so many people are prejudiced against atheists I don’t believe it’s appropriate to “light-heartedly” call them names. Most people that I know don’t like to be called derogatory names “light-heartedly” or not.

Well, if you don’t believe it’s appropriate to apply light-heartedness to anything that offends you, then we should all acquiesce.

2 Likes

@GutHend - I lived for a year in Sterrebeek, a Flemish-speaking district of Brussels (ages ago, about 40 years) and thought I’d be fine as my French was pretty good. Little did I know … the first time I went to the local baker and asked for une baguette the woman serving literally stared right through me. I couldn’t understand at the time but came to realise all the reasons later … so I was able to speak French when I went to the centre but got on much better in our home area speaking English! My daughter (now in her 40s) went to a Flemish-medium kindergarten and can still remember all the words of the Smurf Song in Flemish!

By the way, are you learning “Portugues do Portugal” or “portugues do Brasil”? Second is much nicer and easier. I was fluent, having lived in Brazil for 4 years, but when I went to Portugal it didn’t even sound like the same language and I was totally lost!

You are super impressive, no doubt about it! You shouldn’t have to worry about making a living changing sheets, picking off hairs from the floor and dealing with lost keys! :star_struck::rofl:

I remember reading Belgian job ads a few years ago when I was job-hunting. Each specified the skills you required to have, and then they all said:

‘Must be fluent in French or Flemish and English’

Emphasis mine.

I just looked it up, and Sterrebeek is actually situated in Flanders, so not a district of Brussels. Don’t feel bad about the small mistake, even for most Belgians the situation is a tiny bit complicated. Anyway, you could have spoken about any language and they would have tried to understand you, but French :roll_eyes::rofl:. It’s really such a surreal country sometimes. Would love to hear your daughter sing the Smurf Song. (Which is actually sung by a Dutch national :wink:.)

Because I started learning Portuguese in Belgium, it is the Portuguese Portuguese: They always teach the European variant of languages in Belgium. And since me and my father are doing some business in Portugal that is also the variant that serves me best. But yes, the difference is HUGE :open_mouth::dizzy_face:!

1 Like

All right, have it your way. I will change my listing to read, “Adults who still have imaginary friends and can’t follow a moral code if it doesn’t come with fear of hell are welcome as are atheists.” If anyone is offended I will say that they don’t have a sense of humor.

2 Likes

I had fellow Brits who travelled in Barcelona tell me that the locals frowned upon them trying to use Spanish and not Catalan.

Now come on, we Brits (and Americans) are not known to speak any other language, so the rara avis must have been cheered on loudly for even trying!

Anyways, I told these guys, next time you go to Barcelona and attempt to communicate with the locals, give the Catalans two choices of language: ‘Español y chinés’ !

Thanks! What is being impressive? I guess everyone has certain talents, certain flaws and in the end all balances out. :slightly_smiling_face:

About making a living: Given that we are a two continents couple there will always be the problem that the partner who is moving to the other continent will have trouble finding a job for several reasons (language, other education, laws,…). Apart from that it will probably never be about making a lot of money: It kind of started of as an experiment to get a little extra income, but we also just consider it fun and interesting.

As long as you’re not incontinent, all will be well! :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Your play on words reminds me of a guy who’s friend Al, owns a bakery. He made the statement one day, “Al is a master baker, and be careful how you say that.”

2 Likes

Ha! You tempted me to look up to see if someone who provokes or goes fishing could be termed a ‘baiter’.

(Yeah, but I wouldn’t touch that one with a 10-ft. pole.)

2 Likes

Is this new? He is leaving Peru or you are? Yes, it’s impressive to know that many languages as well as you do.

@SandyToes

You might not believe it but I actually used to be considered a master debater!

(How could I resist?)

2 Likes

Oh-mi-GOSH, I’m weak… :joy:

I luv guy-humor.

On Instagram in your profile you can add flags. The rainbow flag is available. One way to promote your listing’s inclusiveness.

I put this picture in my airbnb listing. Not that people look at the pictures or read the listing but there it is:

10 Likes

I have a Belgian couple coming to me for a week, any little sweet cakes that they like ? I normally bake a little something as a welcome to our home, they are from a very small town in the south. I have researched a little about where they are from but nothing major was jumping out at me in relation to cakes or biscuits