How to find gay friendly airbnb listings or market your listing to the gay community

Haha, good one!

It’s not a No actually. Since religious and political leaders have made a big thing about ‘tolerance’, technically what you’re saying should be acceptable.

On another note, it can be argued that non-faith is a type of faith, that not believing is a form of belief. Still, I know what you mean. What I like about AFAN is that not having a faith is placed at an equal footing with having one - considering it was the ‘people of faith’ that called the shots in society for centuries.

It’s a bit like the phenomenon of the ‘silent majority’ - you don’t have to advertise it, whereas those who are worked up about something have to bring it up. Still, I’m not implying that religious people are all worked up about it.
I’m happy for folk to go about their own ways as long as they don’t tread on me!

How does a Pastafarian minister get ordained, by a sprinkling of Parmigiano?? :rofl:

PS: I fear you’ll now curse me for my blasphemy and banish me to a pesto purgatory where I’ll grind!

5 Likes

I purchased membership from the Church of the Flying Spagetti Monster. :slight_smile:

You are welcome to belive whatever you like. I am not here to judge or curse anyone. Maybe toss a sacrastic comment from time to tome but no curses.

2 Likes

Well you know dear @Wenchkin I was being equally sacrastic :blush:

Of course. I just lacked a more wttty response in the momebnt.

3 Likes

I’m trying to work out why this wouldn’t be an acceptable English sentence … and it’s because “all” can be used as an adjective before “faiths” but “none” is in this case a pronoun so can’t be grammatically used to describe “faiths” (because we haven’t yet mentioned faiths).

However, what Astaire says above explains it best, it’s a “frase hecha” of which Spanish has a whole notebook full which I once tried to commit to memory …ojala!

(these convos move so quickly I realise I’m way behind …

3 Likes

I’m tempted to introduce a (flippant / irreverent) variation:

‘People of all faiths and nuns welcome’ ! This is a joke for the catholics I suppose. Or, about. :crazy_face:

I guess it would have to be ‘people of no and any faith’, but set phrases are more effective because of their punch as we discussed.

Y la próxima vez que estaré en Málaga @Malagachica, discutimos las frases hechas de castellano! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh nooo, I can’t resist…

How about: "People of all faiths and heathens alike, are welcome."
or how 'bout: "The faithful and the faithless are welcome."
or how 'bout: "People of all faiths and flavors…

Stop me somebody!

7 Likes

@SandyToes I do like "people of all faiths and flavo(u)rs!

I wouldn’t dream of mentioning my religion in my listing (and actually, woolly liberal Anglican sounds a bit feeble) and I don’t care what others’ “faiths or none” are. The only time it comes up is when I have to explain that on Sunday mornings we have to do early breakfast or leave them to their own devices as I am the Cantor(sort of lead singer) and the Husband is the organist at our Church. I get quite a lot of “But you don’t seem religious” - probably because they hear me swearing at the Husband a lot … and I tell them the rather feeble joke about “How do Anglicans try to convert you?” Answer: They give you a nice cup of tea and a biscuit and never mention God" …

5 Likes

Ah, but we speak Andalu’ por aqui!

1 Like

Which is handy, coz I can then speak castellano ceceo and folk think I’m from the north!

What is the chief language of Belgium? How many languages do you speak?

All faiths and atheists are welcome?

Would punctuation fix this?

People of all faiths (or none) are welcome!

2 Likes

Flemish in Flanders and French in Wallonia - the two main nations in Belgium.
You could say there is no (single) chief language.

I would guess @GutHend speaks Flemish (Dutch), French, English, German. At the very least. And would understand Afrikaans! Wot sez @GutHend? :slight_smile:

Do you mean my use of the word “heathens”? One of the meanings is “people having no religion…”(Cambridge Dictionary).

In Belgium aprox. 60% speaks Dutch, 39% speaks French and 1% speaks German. In the north (Flanders) the official language is Dutch, in the south (Wallonia) the official language is French. Brussels (the capital) has two official languages French and Dutch. And then there are a few municipalities bordering with Germany where German and French are the official language.

Brussels is historically a Flemish city but now has two official languages French and Dutch, although reality is that Dutch has been totally marginalized by the French language (and others like Arab, English,…). It has basically become a French speaking city because Flemish people adapt to the other person speaking and French speaking people generally don’t. Also because on average our French is better than their Dutch. Reasons being: Better education system. It’s easier for Flemish speakers to learn other languages because our mother tongue has a much wider array of frequencies in it. Another reason is probably having to live under invasions (French, Spanish, …) and having to adapt to the invader. And the last reason is just the fact that French for a time was the worlds diplomatic language and is just spoken by more people in the world.
The few German speakers we have is because of the municipalities we received from Germany as part of the compensation for world war I (peace agreement Versailles 1919).

@Astaire The northern region is called Flanders, we are Flemish, but we speak Dutch. Flemish is a language that does NOT exist. Just like @konacoconutz doesn’t speak American, but she speaks English. The confusion is totally created by Flemish people themselves, since they will often say they speak Flemish in an attempt to distinguish themselves from the Dutch nationals. In fact we share the exact same language with the Dutch people. There is a difference in pronunciation and there are variations in words and ways of saying things. In Flanders we do have a wide array of dialects, with about every small village or town slightly differing from the next. The result is that when two persons living 100km apart speak their own true dialect they won’t understand each other :sweat_smile:.

@konacoconutz The languages I speak:
Dutch / mother tongue
English / Very good
Spanish / Very good
French / Used to be good, but I have barely spoken it for 18 years. It has also been kind of pushed out by my Spanish. I still understand most of it, but would need a few weeks in France to get to a decent level of speaking.
German / Has always been basic.
Portuguese / In the process of learning.

On Afrikaans… Yes, it’s another branch of Dutch. I would understand it, but apart from “zweefteef” I don’t know any specific words. “Zweefteef” is a stewardess but would literally translate as “bitch floating in the air”. It’s a funny one that always makes me laugh.

2 Likes

@konacoconutz and @KIKC

Kona, when KIKC came up with changing “and none” to “or none” and adding two commas, I much preferred it to the original. Your suggestion of putting “or none” in parentheses was the first thing I thought of to make it stand out even more but since I often put things in parentheses and figured it was a quirk of mine.

If keeping the original wording, I thought even adding a comma would help: “People of all faiths and none, are welcome.”

To me, either of the two makes for clearer comprehension than the original (but what do I know). :slight_smile:

1 Like

This to some extent becomes a matter of opinion. Or rather, identity. I accounted for it by saying

Flemish (Dutch)

Technically, yes it’s all the same language - I’d think the English spoken in the ‘deep south’ of the US is more different from standard American than between the speech of the Netherlands and Flanders.
Still I like ‘Flemish’ more, it’s not as guttural as the Dutch spoken in the Netherlands.

I could go on, but I realize this has nothing to do with gay-friendly accommodation!

1 Like

I’m sure that you know that to be called heathen is to be insulted.