How to Engage Airbnb to make a claim for damages

There is Liability Insurance, and the Host Guarantee, they are different.

You are right that there is a separation between the two if you look in Airbnb help. But Airbnb lumps the 2 together in its communications - see attached snapshot of a message Airbnb presents with any booking requests we get. So the bottom line is there is insurance (call it what you want) and there is no documented process to submit a claim.

I really don’t think it is a claims thing. As in filing a claim in the traditional way. It’s part and parcel of the resolution center process.

For instance, I filed a claim against some guests who broke a table. The damages exceeded the deposit and the host guarantee I assume, covered the difference. You have to have the documentation they request. Photos, receipts or links to a replacement item.

Is this what you are asking?

That’s what we tried to do. We went to the Resolution Center and chose “request payment” and provided info pictures requested. The problem was it wouldn’t allow us to submit at the end because the claim exceeded some limit (we think 10k USD). Anyway it still created a case number but didn’t show any record of what we had submitted in the resolution center. The email communication we received days later didn’t acknowledge receiving our claim and just told us to go to the Resolution center and do what we already did. I tried replying to the email a few times to explain the problem but got no response.

I have to ask, is that really your name?? He is a national hero in the US. :rofl::rofl:

Okay, ask for escalation and see what happens.

These links below were some of the best reading and reasoning I’ve seen to cover the whole resolution/ host guarantee topic.

2 Likes

What’s the point of Airbnb advertising a host guarantee if we don’t use it and simply call on our insurance each time?

1 Like

Because it is feel good and makes you “feel” safe. Can you image how often the million dollars is pinged? Love to see those stats!

Safe in a totally misleading way if they find every loophole in the book to squirm out of it though…
Does the Advertising Standards Authority exist in the USA? Though it would take a brave host to challenge them on this (unless you weren’t bothered about losing your listing)

@mueller I am so sorry that you had this awful experience with your guests.

But I think you have misunderstood. The Airbnb Guarantee isn’t an insurance product and is a completely different product than their host protection insurance; a liability insurance available in very limited countries.

If your insurance companies wants Airbnb to work with them on this, they should talk to then directly, but it’s not the same as sharing liability with another insurance company, as the guarantee is not an insurance product.

Well you can use it within the limitation outlined in their guarantee. Home insurance for STR is for the many areas not covered by the guarantee.

When Airbnb goes public will we be able to read how much they pay out under the host guarantee each quarter? I know there are ways to fudge profit and loss but I wonder if those numbers would be broken out? I feel certain they must pay in some cases but we never hear about them. @mueller if you use the search function of this site and type in host guarantee you will see many prior threads complaining.

It seems that the procedure has previously been outlined but I can recall who, if anyone, had sucess.

Sorry so late asking, but how do you engage them via Twitter? I’ve been “escalated” and don’t think I’ll hear the other shoe drop—

THEY DO NOT COLLECT A SECURITY DEPOSIT FROM THE GUEST.

That’s the first thing that every AirBnB host needs to learn.

3 Likes

IT’S NOT INSURANCE. It’s meaningless sales babble.

The process is to request reimbursement from the guest that caused the damage. When they refuse, then you ask Air for their “Host Guarantee”. Read the online help about damage caused by guests and follow the procedure.

In the US, it’s not what the ads say, it’s what your agree to when you sign up for AirBnB, including agreeing to binding arbitration for disputes. Read your Terms Of Service, right on the web site, and in them you also agree that they can change them at any time without notice.

All thanks to corporate bean counters, risk managers, and lawyers.

Psyche! Once more you’ve been suckered into replying on a 4 year old thread.

Closed at your request.