How to deal with this nationality!

Hosted way over 2000 guests now. Just on Airbnb it’s several hundred.

I’m having major issue. A certain nationality EVERY single time - send booking request & message demanding discount. I know it’s the culture of this country to do this. I’ve been to this beautiful country, and it is the way. So how do we deal with this? I find this particular nationality are exceptionally demanding and I’ve NEVER had a positive experience. Not one. At times I’ve hosted 12 rooms. And every time, the pattern repeats.

we are not permitted to question or discuss. But we actually SHOULD! We are hosting in our own private homes.

how can these cultural differences be addressed and not ignored or suppressed by PC brigade? Of course I work around this issue and continue to welcome EVERYBODY! Actually we have no choice with the way Airbnb have controlled the booking process…

Whenever a guest (from anywhere) asks for a discount, I let them know that I do not discount as my rentals provide excellent value for the money. Further, I tell the prospective guest that I would rather they didn’t book with me as it has been my experience that people who request discounts end up marking me down on Value. I recommend that they look for other accommodations more in line with their budget, as I would hate to disappoint them.

8 Likes

Three words: Sorry. NO. DISCOUNTS

1 Like

I don’t understand, a guest can’t send a Reservation Request asking for (or demanding) a discount, because if the host accepts the request, the guest is automatically booked at the normal rate. The guest can send a booking inquiry, but the host doesn’t have to pre-approve or decline, the host just needs to respond, and the response can be that the listing is competitively priced and no discounts are given.

2 Likes

I think you should send discount seekers a special offer for the dates in question at 2-3 times the normal rate. Then they will go away as it seems you want them to.

I just host all comers, I just say no to discount seekers and either they book or they do not.

Oh and I do not discriminate based on nationality or any other reason, just sayin.

RR

5 Likes

Regardless of where any guest is from, no one is forcing you to offer a discount. If you don’t want to offer one, don’t.

6 Likes

Canada has a big population of newcomers.One culture in particular is notorious for haggling. They also like to cram as many people as possible into a place.

It drives me stark raving bonkers. You could be offering a very good price on something and they want a below welfare price. You see it a lot more with newcomers.

I was told that these are very big cultures that are highly competitive. They want to ensure that they are not being rooked. Haggling is part of their make up. I have seen them debate a half meter of ribbon or a half eaten sundae for a refund.

But cheap is cheap is cheap. Either you can afford it, or you cannot.

Booking a request is just a way of strong arming you. I would call Air to cancel.

1 Like

F[quote=“Hedgebet, post:1, topic:36480”]
I’ve NEVER had a positive experience
[/quote]

Sounds like a personal problem. You should try and get out more often.

1 Like

Depends how you look at it.
Not one wealthy person will book my property. ALL of my guests are like me .looking for best value for their money. Not only i don’t get offended by discount seekers…I myself ask for discounts also.
I had amazing guests over the years who asked and were given discounts. Some stayed for months.
Most people are products of their society. Less traveled guests who are new to a country will act just like at home until they learn a trick or two

4 Likes

My career was that of a professional negotiator and I often ask for discounts. I come by it naturally as my mother was raised in a very poor farming family with 13 children. She is the Queen of haggling and I was raised with two things drilled into my head 1) “It never hurts to ask.” and 2) “It’s hard to save $100, but it’s easy to save $1 a hundred times.” I’m happy if I get a discount and if not, I don’t get bent out of shape.

I don’t take any request for a discount as a personal affront. For me, it’s often the way in which people ask. If someone tells me my rate is higher than my competitors, I politely tell them to book with the other home. I usually give a $5 nightly discount and people are very happy.

I had a group of 5 young women farmers who stayed with me one night during a quiet period last January. It’s the only time they could get away from the kids/farm work. They asked for a discount to fit into their tight budget and I provided it, along w/ an early check in and late check out. I’ve gotten three great referrals from those ladies - all at my full rate.

Only one time have I had someone ask for a discount that was outrageous. I referred them to the local Best Western. If I can’t discount the requested rate I offer an early check-in/late check-out. I’ve also offered an adjacent additional night at a deep discount.

In my experience this has garnered goodwill, repeat guests and referrals.

If you don’t want to offer discounts, then I would suggest developing a template email response stating that you don’t provide discounts and if they want to book at your advertised rate, then proceed. Otherwise, best of luck finding a more suitable home within your budget and enjoy your stay in My Town. No need to further engage.

2 Likes

I’ve had a few of those plus the guy who bugged me every day, three times a day, for cash discounts for more days. I didn’t like them (another story), so I was happy to say “I don’t take cash and I don’t give additional discounts aside from the weekly and monthly on my listing. Had you booked the additional night(s) originally, you would have received a 10% discount from the start.” It is all in the way the “ask” is presented. I have one business that I offer a 20% discount to when they request, so I’m open to special deals. But the hagglers drive me batty and they’re always the “problem children” when they review.

3 Likes

Thank you! You get it. It’s all the issues that go with these hagglers. When they don’t get a discount they then take revenge in the review , haha

2 Likes

I am with the OP on this one. I get offended every single time. Sure I am not rich and will never get rich out of their 15$ discount they wanted but it bugs me. Last time I had a discussion about it with the guest. I said “Mrs. X, I price myself so that I am one of the lowest prices if not the lowest prices for the house, the amenities and the square footage I offer. Why do you ask for discount upfront? Do you think that my cleaning lady should be paid less or I deserve less, just because you ask? I still have to pay utilities and mortgage and my home is not priced with room to bargain. We are not in the bazaar in Istanbul, where they price everything high because haggling over prices is the norm. We are in America where there is no bargaining.”

Here’s her answer (quote from memory): in my experience hosts want to keep their houses rented and since we arrive in a few days, I thought you might give us a discount to keep your house rented. For our family even a small discount of 15$ means a lot.

My response was NO. I mean, I charge 150$/night for a property that VRBO tells me I should charge 175$ and she wanted it for 135$.

I replied to her saying that I have plenty of customers and I am in no need of offering discounts. I told her what vrbo wants me to change what I charge and that i don’t like people who ask upfront for a discount. I feel offended.
It was a first for her. She said in her life she never met anyone who didn’t give her discounts. Well, lady, let me be the first!

Edit to specify she was not Turkish.

4 Likes

Honestly I don’t understand the mentality of these discount seekers. No honestly. I grew up in Eastern Europe and my parents were working class. Food was scarce. Everything was scarce. When I travel and book a room I look around to see what the prices are in the area. If I chose the lowest or around there I don’t ask for discount. It’s an insult, to me at least. When someone asks for discount, I feel insulted, like they don’t value my time, my work, they think I should be paid less. Sure there are those for whom bargaining is a sport. In Turkey (or in the middle east in general) when you go to the bazaar, it is the norm that the prices are inflated because of hugling. You offer a low price, the vendor says it’s too low, they sit you down, offer tea and you settle somewhat like 75% of the price. But this is not Turkey. My house is not priced with room to offer discounts. If she looked around she would have seen this. Offering discounts would have hurt me, like I said. And it was summer (people traveling) and indeed I had plenty of travelers. Even in January or low season I myself adjust the prices lower and still don’t offer discounts.

2 Likes

It’s not just other cultures and nationalities. A lot depends on the profession of the guests too. In many occupations, people are accustomed to asking for lower prices or, if they are the seller, inflating the prices knowing that they’ll have to go down a little to get the deal.

These are jobs like antique dealing, trading in cars, flipping houses and property … and in big business, negotiations regarding the price are common.

If a company is negotiating for a new website, for instance, the web people will quote $12,000 knowing that they’ll go as low as $9,500. The client company knows that they’re expected to negotiate - they don’t accept the first quote.

Most people anywhere in the world don’t pay the sticker price for high-ticket items such as property, land or vehicles.

I don’t give discounts although I’m priced in such a way to let me do so. But guests have to show me a good reason why they should have a discount and I can’t remember that any actually have! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I simply reply that I can book all my available days at full price. In both my Airbnb business and my dog boarding business 100% of my issues have been with Americans.

2 Likes

I have an auto reply set up on Smartbnb that tells them we are booked at the listed prices every weekend of the year, and reminds them to book quickly. Somehow not having to type the response every time makes me less aggravated at the request. My last one was for a major holiday when the entire town sells out. Um no. She got my auto response and booked at full prices few hours later.

1 Like

???..uh…really???

1 Like

Not that anyone actually reads the listing… but this is the verbiage we use: 10% discount offered to active or retired U.S. military members, including Department of Defense employees. A special offer will be sent after ID has been verified. Weekly and Monthly discounts are already built into the Airbnb pricing. Otherwise, we don’t offer additional discounts… so please don’t ask. We believe our property is priced appropriately for the area and amenities we offer.

3 Likes

I beg to differ. Vehemently. Haggling over websites drives me batty!!! Everyone thinks they’re an expert and want Chanel but can barely afford Beall’s Outlet.

I’ve owned my own web and custom software development company since 2001 and have been working in software and web development since the mid '90s.

SOME developers do this; we don’t. We come in at a fixed price quote for what we know the project will take in time and materials. If someone says they only have $9,500, then we take deliverables off the table. Because losing that $2,500 in money means bills aren’t paid. And I’m not paid. Because my people and bills get paid first.

Every time I give a discount - whether AirBnB or in web or software development - it ends in tears. We’re professionals running a business. Not haggling in Shenzhen while passing the calculator back and forth to buy that knockoff Chanel bag (don’t ask me how I know this!)