How to avoid early check in questions?

I understand.

I just think part of my added value to the Host is so that the Host won’t have to make changes (or will make fewer changes) when/if she ultimately takes over the listing’s management. I’m doing this as a favor while the Host is occupied with other things; it’s not a forever role for me.

Yes, I can understand wanting to make things easy for the host if they take over, if you are just doing it as a favor and personally care about the host.

It just seems like more of a hassle to have to answer guest messages asking about early check-in 2 days prior or day of, which may very well not be possible, than to have a scheduled message you could send out saying “Turns out we can accommodate early check-in anytime after XX, if you require it”.

1 Like

Well, I expect to be proactive and affirmatively contact the guest that the free early check-in is available without the guest contacting me again.

I just don’t want to promise that or schedule that message in case I slip up or the Host takes over and she slips up.

So I never get that follow-up message from the guest because I’m there first. But if the Host slips up she will not have failed to deliver on her promise.

One challenge that we’ve had is that work inside the property needs to get done in between guests, and contractors here have been very unreliable. As time goes on, there will likely be less of that kind of work and I might change the procedures accordingly.

It it mentioned in our description that we don’t do early checkout, but stiil, every guest asks about it. Does not help :rofl:

1 Like

Ok, may be due to my poor english you all dont understand my question, sorry for that lol.
I didn’t ask about your “no early checkin” messages, of course we’ve got it:

1. it is written in our listings description (CHECK-IN: after 15:00. We don’t allow early check-in (before 15:00). “Just leave the bags” is a check-in),
    and
  2. we put it in our welcome message (Hello, XXXXX! Please let us know:
    what your planned check-IN time is? (regular after 15:00, we don’t provide early check-in), what your planned check-OUT time is? (regular by 11:00), do you need parking space? you need one or two beds?)

My question is there anything we can do to prevent such questions from guests AT ALL?
But this thread shows that’s it impossible, people just don’t read :laughing:

Yes. People don’t read. And, even if they do, some think they deserve an exception.

5 Likes

I think everyone understood your question, your English is fine.

I see what could possibly be causing your problem. The word “regular”. That isn’t strong enough- it conveys the idea that most guests check in or out by XX time. Not that earlier or later is non-negotiable.

Remove the word regular, make it clear that you don’t make exceptions.

“Please let us know your projected arrival time. (After 3PM, our earliest possible check-in time)”

Something like that.

And don’t ask for their check-out time when they first book. You are bundling too many questions together and there isn’t any reason why you need to know their projected check-out time when they book. Just send a reminder the afternoon before that your check-out time is 11am, non-negotiable. If you would like them to let you know if they check-out earlier than 11 so you can start cleaning earlier, just say that in the reminder message.

And put the request for parking needs and number of needed beds separately.

1 Like

Yes. You can delete your listing. I’m sorry but that is the only reliable solution, lol.

3 Likes

Can you explain why you want to? It would probably help us to help you if we knew.

Most people who enquire end up booking anyway so it seems strange that you don’t want to engage with potential guests.

I don’t see looking for solutions to guests ignoring what is clearly stated in the listing as not wanting to engage with potential guests.

But guests asking hosts to bend rules for them, or ignoring or not bothering to read rules and for instance saying they are coming with their 2 toddlers and their dog to a no children, no pets listing seems to be something most hosts have to deal with. It’s just one of the less pleasant parts of hosting that Julia and other hosts have to realize you can’t eliminate.

2 Likes

I realise that maybe it’s location-specific. As the majority of my guests fly into the area, and because flights often arrive in the morning, I don’t have a problem with guests asking.

I probably would. In fact, I probably have!

1 Like

I’ve never had a guest ask about early or late, because I have one day prep time between bookings, so my check-in time is from 11am-11pm and check-out by 4, but if a guest had a flight at 9pm, I wouldn’t really care if they checked out at 7.

The one guest who said her bus arrived at 9am, but she knew that was too early to check in and would find a café to hang out in, I told it was fine if she checked in when she got to town. The room was ready, aside from a few last minute touches, it just meant I had to get up a little earlier than I normally like to.

So that’s probably the only way to totally eliminate requests for outside of check-in, check-out times, to leave a day between bookings so it becomes a non-issue.

2 Likes

That’s what we’ve been doing for the last few years too. I really like having the flexibility and being able to just offer early in or late out before they even ask for it. We get ‘credit’ for it even if their schedule doesn’t allow them to take advantage of it. But I haven’t always been in that position so I also understand what a pain it is when people ask if you can’t do it.

THank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

you are right :rofl:

I think that’s a bit over the top. If I can do an early check-in (a hour or two), I just do it. Not that big of a deal. IMO, being too anal about it makes short term rentals look bad.

4 Likes

Me too.

But if someone asks me a week ahead of time, I don’t know yet because I won’t yet know if I’ll have a same day turnover that day of their check-in.

3 Likes

That’s true. I make no guarantees that far ahead.

I have a saved ‘quick response’ stating that sorry, I can’t guarantee the cleaning crew will have the house 100% ready so cannot accommodate checkin until the listed time.

1 Like

I’ve just made a blanket rule: no early check-ins or late check-outs. I’ve noticed that the requests usually come from the younger age groups. Boomers check in on time and depart on time.